By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "There is no place for Nintendo hardware". Thoughts?

Conina said:
kljesta64 said:

google it.

Why me? It's your claim that they lost money on every console generation, not mine.

no they made a profit on both ps1 and ps2 ,  ps3 different story.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
TheGoldenTriforce said:
STOP posting things about PACHTER!!! Please :)

My thoughts are the same as they've ever been:

1. A game industry without Nintendo hardware is, I'm sorry, a gaming industry I'm simply not interested in. I'd likely still try out new indie games on Steam, but that'd pretty much be it. I'd be mostly done.

2. Pachter is a nobody who makes comments like this to people who are INVESTING in video gaming. He holds no actual knowledge of gaming, gamers, game development, gaming history, you name it. He only comments on what he thinks as far as sales and trends go. He's a tool, and so is anyone who puts too much stock in the BS he says. The only reason anyone even knows who he is, is because GameTrailers wasted their time giving him a "show". Otherwise? Not a single one of us would even know who he is, much less hear/read about these dumb ass things he has to say. And we'd all, every single one of us, be better off for it. lol

Conina said:

Have they? How much has the PlayStation branch of Sony lost on the PS1? How much has it lost on PS2? How much has it lost on PS3? How much has it lost on PSP? How much has it lost on PSV?

Sony lost something like 4.9$ billion on the PS3. It pretty much offset their gains on the PS2 and then some.

TheGoldenTriforce said:

NEVER! Gamers owe teh Analyst God their undivided attention!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Vena said:
Conina said:

Have they? How much has the PlayStation branch of Sony lost on the PS1? How much has it lost on PS2? How much has it lost on PS3? How much has it lost on PSP? How much has it lost on PSV?

Sony lost something like 4.9$ billion on the PS3. It pretty much offset their gains on the PS2 and then some.

But that was not his claim. He said "they have lost on every console money."

And that's totally wrong. The playstation branch made $5.3 billion profit in 1995 - 2005.

By the way, your "$4.9 billion losses on the PS3" are wrong, too. Since 2009 up to this year, the game segment had losses of $4.0 billion and that includes heavy losses from the problematic PC business in the years 2009 + 2010:

They had heavy losses in the game segment from 2006 - 2008: $3.8 billion. Another loss for the new branch "networked products & services" in 2009 ($0.9 billion), but mainly due to the underperforming PC business. In 2010, "networked products & services" made a profit of $0.43 billion, and it would have been even higher without the inclusion of PC sales. "A category that favorably impacted the change in segment operating results was the game business, reflecting significant cost reductions of PlayStation®3(“PS3”) hardware and higher unit sales of PS3 software."

In 2011, the game segment had another profit of $0.29 billion. 2012 and 2013 had minimal profits/losses despite the huge costs which come with every development and launch of a new home console.

Conina said:

But that was not his claim. He said "they have lost on every console money."

And that's totally wrong. The playstation branch made $5.3 billion profit in 1995 - 2005.

By the way, your "$4.9 billion losses on the PS3" are wrong, too. Since 2009 up to this year, the game segment had losses of $4.0 billion and that includes heavy losses from the problematic PC business in the years 2009 + 2010:

They had heavy losses in the game segment from 2006 - 2008: $3.8 billion. Another loss for the new branch "networked products & services" in 2009 ($0.9 billion), but mainly due to the underperforming PC business. In 2010, "networked products & services" made a profit of $0.43 billion, and it would have been even higher without the inclusion of PC sales. "A category that favorably impacted the change in segment operating results was the game business, reflecting significant cost reductions of PlayStation®3(“PS3”) hardware and higher unit sales of PS3 software."

Oh no I was simply saying the PS3. They were profitable on the others. I was just offering some info.

toot1231 said:
ExplodingBlock said:
I think he is an idiot. If there isn't room for any console it would Xb1 since it is just to similar to PS4 while PS4 is better

this

Uhmm no... Xbox One has been out for half the time that the WiiU has been out and is less than 2 million behind. Add to the fact that they are selling at the same level and the ony way is up for XBONE given the blockbuster releases coming up this year and next. WiiU..not quite so and very little 3rd party release. So sorry but Nintendo is in trouble and Pachter is right unfortunately.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

TheGoldenTriforce said:

Listen to this man! He knows what he's talking about!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

In the long term there is not a market for Nintendo hardware unless it is aimed at the wider market and brings with it a truly unique way to provide entertainment.

If they release another Wii U, where the hardware is designed solely to make people pay more to play their games, they deserve everything they are getting.