By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Japan 3rd party sales analysis

Sony don't seem all that concerned. They realize there's still time. Historically, the big guns have come out 1-2 years after the system's release. They never saw the need to launch with a killer app.

Every third party game can't be bad, but quality or not, people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Always have. Always will. Granted, this has been much more pronounced during the past decade.

Around the Network

I don't think you can say they aren't concerned. The Kutaragi ousting is a pretty clear signal of concern.

If that's the case why is PS3 support dropping gradually and Wii support increasing at such a large rate? And how effectively can the PS3 make a comeback if they're behind by such a large install base? There will probably be a 3-4 million difference between the PS3 and Wii when Final Fantasy XIII comes out, you know.

And that's just in Japan.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Shane said:

Sony don't seem all that concerned. They realize there's still time. Historically, the big guns have come out 1-2 years after the system's release. They never saw the need to launch with a killer app.

Every third party game can't be bad, but quality or not, people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Always have. Always will. Granted, this has been much more pronounced during the past decade.

If they aren't concerned then they haven't done their homework, its very hard to recapture momentum in Japan, if not impossible, the japanese tend to stick with one console

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Shane said:

If they aren't concerned then they haven't done their homework, its very hard to recapture momentum in Japan, if not impossible, the japanese tend to stick with one console

I don't think a comeback is unheard of...or at least not possible in this current generation.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Shane said:

If you're gonna talk about history about consoles in Japan it isn't going to do anything to help sony.  In Japan once a console gets a lead it just tends to increase exponentially to no end.  Japan is very trend based and when these trends get set early it is extremely difficult to turn them around.  Historically Japan only supports 1 console at a high level with 1 or 2 others getting 4-6 million.  Look at the sales the last 2 weeks, Wii outsold PS3 by something like 7 or 8 to 1.  Wii has won Japan, but it's gonna be a much longer race for north america and europe.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Problem is - everyone ignored the Wii so the third party droubt was always gonna happen but the second wave of Wii games is where it'll start to move move into the DS league or flop, time will tell.  I'm just suprised that knowing the third party support is currently scrambling to get games out - why isn't Nintendo releasing their games earlier? 

The telling point for the Wii's make or break is if Nintendo can get their big hitters out before the demand drops to keep the gamers happy until the 2nd wave of games come out (No more heroes, nights, project rygar, project treasure island z, kopoona etc).  I expect they will but keep watching each months figures expecting them to drop any time now - these next few months will prove if it's a fad or not.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Uhm, Nintendo IS releasing their games. Super Paper Mario and Big Brain Academy just launched 2 weeks ago, and Pokemon for Wii launched a few months ago as well.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Shane said:

Top 10 best selling games in Japan of all time

Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Pokemon Red / Blue / Green Nintendo 10.23 11.44 9.70 31.37
Pokemon Gold / Silver Nintendo 7.21 9.14 6.75 23.10
Super Mario Bros Nintendo 6.81 29.52 3.91 40.24
Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire Nintendo 5.35 5.65 4.13 15.13
Pokemon Diamond / Pearl Nintendo 5.27 1.21 0.00 6.48
New Super Mario Bros Nintendo 4.63 2.70 2.23 9.56
More Brain Training Nintendo 4.48 0.00 0.00 4.48
Animal Crossing: Wild World Nintendo 4.38 1.38 1.76 7.52
Tetris Nintendo 4.24 23.55 2.47 30.26
Super Mario Land Nintendo 4.19 10.99 2.96 18.14

The 'Big Guns' for Sony has always been Dragon's Quest (now on the DS) and Final Fantasy ...

Generally speaking Sony has never counted on 'Big Guns' to sell systems and focused more on maintaining decent sales year round  by releasing a steady stream of good games; this was enabled by their solid base of Japaneese third party publisher support. The fact that Namco-Bandai has said they're supporting the Wii more heavily than the PS3 is a huge blow on the PS3's ability to sell well in Japan; if other publishers take similar stances prior to Sony releasing 'Big Guns' in Japan it will mean that the PS3 has no chance of a comeback.

The 'Big Guns' for Sony has always been Dragon's Quest (now on the DS) and Final Fantasy ... Yeah, and now DQ is almost a Nintendo exclusive franchise ( 3 games for DS, 1 for Wii and I would bet that DQX is coming to Wii, on 2008-2008 probably, with some kind of connection to DQIX). And though FFXIII and Versus are on PS3, remember Square has 3 more games in the FFXIII saga, and my bets are that one goes to Wii, one to DS and one to PSP, with Versus being ported to 360. You forgot KH, which is a big franchise in Japan, though not as big as DQ and FF. It would be crazy to not put a part of its future game on DS and Wii. Having introduced gaming to women, putting a bigger enphasis on Disney and Sora and the crew, I think they can really expand that franchise. A Disney crossover is something quite irresistible for women.