By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Japan 3rd party sales analysis

Who says 3rd party sales are doing bad on Nintendo platforms?

Taking the May 6 software numbers:

DS: 869375
Wii: 325619
GBA: 1243

Nintendo: 716324

869375 + 325619 + 1243 - 716324 = 479913 = 3rd party software on Nintendo Platforms

Now how much software did the other platforms sell?

PS2: 110674
PSP: 57153
X360: 13945
PS3: 10412

Sofware total for other platforms = 192194

Nintendo 3rd party software outsold the other consoles by 479913 - 192194 = 287719

Around the Network

What happened to all the 3rd party software doesn't sell on Nintendo platforms people?

Wow

Those are some pretty impressive software numbers!

If 3rd parties put the effort into their games they will have far greater sales with Nintendo. Than they would with Sony or Microsoft.

You just have to look a year down the road. Do you think the PSP would have lost some games a year ago if the developers could have seen what the DS's is doing now? You bet it would have.

Now that is the same way developers need to look at Wii now, a year down the road when their games come out . Sure it is fine to release games now on the other systems but down the road they will probably wish they wouldnt have wasted their time and spent more time on the Wii.

FishyJoe said:

It's unfair.

3rd party on Sony platforms have not released games during the golden week, and the week before (inexplicably)...

fabinou said:
FishyJoe said:

It's unfair.

3rd party on Sony platforms have not released games during the golden week, and the week before (inexplicably)...

Ok, pick another week and run the numbers. Nintendo won't always be #1, but that is because the PS2 is still pretty big. Point is that 3rd parties for Nintendo are selling well, not poorly as many would have you believe.

Around the Network

Ok, lets use the yearly numbers:

DS: 14,563,879
Wii: 3,599,239
GBA: 38,378

Nintendo: 10,191,851

8009645 = 3rd party software on Nintendo Platforms

Now how much software did the other platforms sell?

PS2: 4,242,387
PSP: 2,199,738
X360: 383,670
PS3: 720,743

7547538 = Total software on other platforms

Still pretty damn good for Nintento 3rd party. 

DS is a beast.

The DS is particular doesn't get enough credit for third party sales. I was looking at the top 50 and half the DS games on there were third party.

Argh. Did it not post all the work I did? Ack. At any rate, I came to the same conclusion (kinda) as fishyjoe. The DS is a beast, even with 3rd party. However, the Wii is horrible (below PS3 levels for 3rd parties). The Wii needs alot of work, whereas the DS is doing pretty good for the 3rd parties. However, to be fair, the only system that's moving 3rd party s/w compared to the DS is a 7 year old Playstation 2. Thats not a good comparison :- Oh well, very good. The 3rd parties are supporting the DS in Japan, and sales seem to be reacting accordingly.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

And to be fair, the PS3 has many far better QUALITY 3rd party games, and the PS3 also does not have any significant first party killer titles, especially for Japan. If I buy console a that has several good 3rd party titles but no significant first party titles, which games will I buy? The 3rd party games, I would think. If I buy console b that has several good 1st party titles but no significant 3rd party titles, which games will I buy? The 1st party games, I would think. For example, Gundam Masou, Motorstorm, Virtua Fighter 5, and Ridge Racer 7 are all games of significantly higher quality than any 3rd party titles that the Wii offers. The efforts of Call of Duty 3 and Need For Speed : Carbon on the Wii was also lackluster in comparison to their PS3/360 counterparts. I'm not even talking technical capabilities, I'm talking about actual effort into the games themselves. If Red Steel hadn't shipped with the flaws that it had, it'd probably be selling as good or perhaps even better than Resistance. Even with it's flaws, it has still almost hit 1 million worldwide. Hell, the party game Raving Rabbids has almost as well, A FRIGGIN PARTY GAME. 3rd party Wii game sales will increase when the quality does, just like solid efforts of 3rd parties on the DS.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.