By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Japan 3rd party sales analysis

With the massive growth of the DS, it has become a viable platform for third parties in some cases, though whether it is more viable than PSP even with double the userbase is debateable. Anyway, it's always fun to see Wii spun into the "Nintendo platforms" category to cover its performance, since it's as sad as when Sony says they earned the most revenue or that their brand (of three systems) is the most successful. Let's examine this more closely. Wii has sold 165% more consoles than PS3. Despite that, total third party sales are only 9% higher, while average third party sales are 35% lower.

Around the Network

Quick question: How many non-third party titles does Sony have for the PS3?

I *love* being ignored. *grumble*

I think Resistance is considered 2nd party, I'm not aware of any retail first party titles for the PS3, but I could be forgetting something. 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Shane said:

Wii has sold 165% more consoles than PS3. Despite that, total third party sales are only 9% higher, while average third party sales are 35% lower.

By average you mean the number of third party games per console, right? If yes, so what? The Wii sells more than twice the consoles, and half the number of third party games per console. That's still the same number of games, and games that are cheaper to make.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Sony has published 5 games in Japan (3 first party) and 7 in the US (2 first party), excluding downloadables. Their first first party release in the US was less than a month ago. It's pretty obvious they continue to focus primarily on the PS2, though we will see the shift over the course of the next year. Average means units sold per game. Third party tie ratio is .98 for PS3 and .40 for Wii. Slightly more third party games have sold on the Wii, but with such a userbase advantage, the numbers don't look pretty.

Around the Network

Comparing the 3rd party software lineup in japan is just sad, Shane.  It's essentially comparing silver to tin, most of the 3rd party support in japan for wii has been uber crappy.  I doubt those games wouldn't have sold any better on the PS3, especially if Sony had released any significant titles of their own.  But then again, if Nintendo hadn't released any of their own significant titles of their own (Wii sports, Wii Play, Zelda), the Wii would be selling pretty evenly with the PS3 and 3rd party sales % would be a lot higher.

But as it is right now, the Wii is the only "new" platform getting the install base capable of easily supporting 3rd party sales, it's going to hit a 3 million install bast about the same time the PS3 finally hits 1 million (presuming that the PS3's sales don't drop off too much more.... even though we're expecting sub-10k weeks anytime now)

Anyways, until the Wii can get out some good 3rd party games out there, 3rd party sales are going to remain crappy.  One Piece is doing alright, it's sold out of it's initial shipment (50k?), Detective Conan (anime game again) ships next week, and Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition ships at the end of the month.  Harvest Moon Wii ships at the beginning of next month.  I'm unsure about Dragon Quest Swords, even though it's a Dragon Quest spin-off, it's also a First Person game (anti-japanese preference) that's also on rails.   And the new Gundam game for Wii isn't looking too impressive quality-wise either, besides the fact that it's ALSO a first person game. :(

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Where are you getting these numbers from? I always try to show exactly where the numbers come from so anyone can check them. Please don't just put numbers out there without at least a reference.

First party games (there's actually only 2) are Formula One Championship Edition (Studio Liverpool) and Untold Legends (SOE). Pretty much nothing anyone's paid any attention to. Calling All Cars has probably gotten more interest.

Numbers are from:

http://www.vgchartz.com/japweekly.php
http://vgchartz.com/japtotals.php

The question I have to ask is why can't Sony put out a decent title for the PS3? They had all the time in the world to work on something for Golden Week. Yet they seem to be unwilling or unable to put out any decent software at a time when software is needed desperately.

Shane said:
With the massive growth of the DS, it has become a viable platform for third parties in some cases, though whether it is more viable than PSP even with double the userbase is debateable. Anyway, it's always fun to see Wii spun into the "Nintendo platforms" category to cover its performance, since it's as sad as when Sony says they earned the most revenue or that their brand (of three systems) is the most successful. Let's examine this more closely. Wii has sold 165% more consoles than PS3. Despite that, total third party sales are only 9% higher, while average third party sales are 35% lower.

The only ones to blame are the third aprties for putting out shovelware, third partis compalin about Ninty consoles, well its because they make junk for the most part

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)