By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - As Xbox One Launches in Japan, Akihabara Gamers Really Aren’t Standing in Line

todd2r said:
Whether anybody agrees or not is fine. I believe the rest of the world hates the Xbox along with many American products.

Let's test that belief and see if there are some facts around that can help decide whether the world in General and Japan in particular hates American products or just Xbox.

US exports of products and services in 2013 was >$1.5 trillion. That's more than the GDP of the majority of countries in the world. Over $500 billion more than Australia's GDP,  for instance. Apple's, total global annuals sales (including the USA) in 2013 was $171 bilion, that's not just iphone. So Apple's entire global sales, including USA and UK, is approximately 10% of USA's total exports. A reasonable chunk, to be sure, but there's clearly a helluva lot more than just iPhones from the USA that sell overseas. A couple of examples of US products which actualy have a very strong reputation globally are Caterpillar heavy machinery, and John Deere farm machinery. Those are two of the most well regarded and respected global brands in their respective industries.

Of the countries that do not have a land border with the USA, Japan is the second largest importer of US goods and services. China is first. Japan accounts for 4.5% of US exports. Japan's population is only 1.95% of the world's population. So that means Japan buys more of what the USA has for sale per capita than most other countries. Indeed Japan buys about 3 times as much from the USA on a per capita basis than China. And of course you will note that Japan, on an absolute level buys more from the USA than the UK, though on a per capita basis the UK buys more.

If you want to verify this information, aside from the Apple information, it is all available on the CIA World Factbook.

So in my evidenced based view, it appears to me the world in general quite likes American products. And it seems that for the most part it's only Microsoft products which the world seems to shun disproportionately compard to the USA. It appears the claim that the world and/or Japan hates American products is just a poor excuse for why Xbox does so poorly outside of the USA and the UK.

And if you came here looking for good company and pleasent coversation with fans of all platforms, why is it you launch an unfounded vitriolic diatribe against Japanese people, accusing them of hating America and hating American products. That's not nice or friendly. If you want a friendly environment try to behave in the way you want ohers to behave.

Also Japan is the only country in the world other than USA and Canada that loves baseball. Not even the UK loves baseball.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
MB1025 said:

It is doing really well on Amazon Japan.

It really isn't, don't kid yourself.

daredevil.shark said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
daredevil.shark said:

They are certainly Japanese games. But I should have clarified my point. What "Japan-centric" games have they announced? Like persona 5, dragon quest or yakuza; which are basically system seller in Japan. No offense but I dont think Xbox One will get much Japan centric games in future.

I don't know much about Japanese games as I don't play them. But I do know microsoft will create or partner with publishers/developers to create new IPS or bring existing games to the Xbox one. Phil is now the man and he is stepping up his game.

Then I think you dont know the history of xbox in Japan. Its not about patriotism but its about games. And Xbox is struggling to have good exclusives in west and in Japan the situation is far far fragile.

Games don't release overnight. Takes time and effort to create a game. Games will come just like the 360 had plenty Japanese games.

setsunatenshi said:
I think many of you are are missing the real take away from this. The Japanese Xbox One userbase knows each other by name, all 6 of them. There will be no trolling and insulting each other during their 3on3 CoD match. Isn't that a plus?

this actually made me lol

todd2r said:
So Japan hates American products? Im not exactly shocked. Oh wait, the rest of world hates American products too? Im still not shocked. It wouldn't matter if they had the best line-up in game history and the damn machine was 5 dollars or yen or whatever, they would still lose. Seems like just a huge opportunity for a sony circle jerk to me. No one can say they are shocked by this.

FYI, Just because Xbox is American, doesn't mean Xbox = America. Thats some outdated xenophobia right there. Just say Japan hates Xbox. Its a lot easier to defend and you save your self the trouble of making sweeping generalizations that are borderline racist.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
MB1025 said:

It is doing really well on Amazon Japan.

The Xbox One w/ Kinect is not ahead of the PS4 Destiny bundle anymore? Microsoft has 2 consoles in the top 20 there and they have stayed in the top 20.

DeadBigfoot21 said:
daredevil.shark said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
daredevil.shark said:

They are certainly Japanese games. But I should have clarified my point. What "Japan-centric" games have they announced? Like persona 5, dragon quest or yakuza; which are basically system seller in Japan. No offense but I dont think Xbox One will get much Japan centric games in future.

I don't know much about Japanese games as I don't play them. But I do know microsoft will create or partner with publishers/developers to create new IPS or bring existing games to the Xbox one. Phil is now the man and he is stepping up his game.

Then I think you dont know the history of xbox in Japan. Its not about patriotism but its about games. And Xbox is struggling to have good exclusives in west and in Japan the situation is far far fragile.

Games don't release overnight. Takes time and effort to create a game. Games will come just like the 360 had plenty Japanese games.

360 had plenty of Japanese games from the jump because MS clearly put effort into that. They are not doing the same for One its that simply. Sure games might come but why even release the system as is now?

MB1025 said:
Tachikoma said:

The Xbox One w/ Kinect is not ahead of the PS4 Destiny bundle anymore? Microsoft has 2 consoles in the top 20 there and they have stayed in the top 20.

Out of curiosity, though, how long's that been going on for? o.o Legitimate question, I haven't watched Amazon Japan at all, so curious as to whether this has been, like, top 20 for weeks (because, presumably, pre-orders,) or just since launch. If it's been for weeks, then great! ^^ Maybe it will do well, then, as the Japanese might be more inclined to seek delivered units than to go to the stores, especially since there likely won't be shortages. But if you've just been keeping an eye on the figures since launch, or even since a few days before, might have to wait and see how long it stays up there. The Gamescom bundles for Sunset Overdrive and Call of Duty beat the Destiny bundle and PS4 on Amazon U.S., shortly after they were made available, for a couple of days, but they dropped pretty far, pretty fast after.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

todd2r said:
FIT_Gamer said:
todd2r said:
So Japan hates American products? Im not exactly shocked. Oh wait, the rest of world hates American products too? Im still not shocked. It wouldn't matter if they had the best line-up in game history and the damn machine was 5 dollars or yen or whatever, they would still lose. Seems like just a huge opportunity for a sony circle jerk to me. No one can say they are shocked by this.

I guess you've never heard of the iPhone...

One product?!????????  That's the defense? One product?  A phone?!!!!!!???????  Well I guess you can say that India loves Florida oranges too so I guess im wrong. Everyone loves American product!!!!!  I was wrong. 

He never said everyone loves American products so your reply is a poor attempt at arguing.

The point is your statement that products should be expected to fail because Japan hates American products fails.

Microsoft sells lots of products in Japan.  If they had the right kind of product it would sell, unfortunately they have no games for the market, it's big, it's expensive, and the Kinect spycam is badly received.  That's why it won't sell, not because it's American.

My 8th gen collection

oniyide said:
setsunatenshi said:
I think many of you are are missing the real take away from this. The Japanese Xbox One userbase knows each other by name, all 6 of them. There will be no trolling and insulting each other during their 3on3 CoD match. Isn't that a plus?

this actually made me lol

well i guess that's it for me, thank you very much ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIzei3vAqRY