By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lost Odyssey where you at?

Last week at this time I imagined I would be writing my personal review of Lost Odyssey. Since that time I have learned the meaning of a epic lengthed game. I have played this game for around fifty five hours. Today I thought most certainly that the end was near. Only to watch the ending get snatched away out of my grasp, and to have that sudden revelation that this has only just begun. Now I am thinking the game should probably take me seventy hours at least.

I imagine that everyone else is having the same experience, because I haven't seen a single peer review of the full game. I can't remember playing any game recently that has kept me playing for three weeks just to get through my first play through. That is what Lost Odyssey is shaping up to be. Thankfully its always throwing freshness at you. The battles aren't getting remotely stale, the side quests are ingenious and entertaining, the leveling system gives decent short term goals, and there are plenty of challenges to test yourself against.

My question is simple enough where are you at in the game. What have you discovered since you posted your initial impressions. What have been your favorite moments. What do you think of how the combat system has involved. Do you have any good tricks for the rookies out there that might be behind you. 

Please post your hours into the game, and a sly allusion to where you are it in the game, and share your own moment, or tip for other players. That way we don't necessarily ruin something for someone. 

For me I would say my hardest fight so far would be against Arthosaurus. I had absolutely no fire resistence up by the time I faced this monster, and I was instantly flattened by his first attack until I got Sarahs notebook which I highly recommend that you obtain. You can use it to make your enemy into your friend with its absorb fire attribute. I don't consider this much of a spoiler as much as a logical conclusion that the player must reach to bypass this point of the game. What follows is a real spoiler. 

No walkthroughs mention this, but it makes for some easier going. The Notebook is obtained by killing Persona a monster that has taken up the old sorcereses old residence. Remember where you fought her that is where Persona is. This is an incredibly difficult monster unless you use delay and slower. Otherwise it slips into the middle of the cue, and you end up recharging it with your attacks accomplishing no damage. Try to fight the monster without using these moves and you have one hell of a battle on your hands. Over thirty minutes long kind of battle, and one you can easily lose. Obviously its best to have Mack in the second row for this, and it makes your team lopsided.

Anyway that is some very good advice it will help you advance with ease through the next four battles. Especially the one on the Boa after a certain event takes place. Having that skill slotted up can really turn that battle in your favor. Thanks to the fact that it acts like a free zephyra every turn. 

Around the Network

I have not seen this game in Australia yet, but i am hoping it will be here soon... it certainly looks impressive.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

I'm at the first boss fight getting my ass handed to me. So far I've been very pleased with the combat system, visuals and plot development.

Im at the third disc. I'm averaging a disc a weekend with also giving time to Folklore and Prof Layton.

I'm enjoying it a lot, but some of the plot holes (or strange mistakes) are kinda funny.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Just started the forth disc and finished the eastern tribe area where you get the magic rock to power the nautilus across the hypercurrents 34 hrs in or therabouts. The whole feel of the game changed after this not sure I like it. I had gotten used to the paced liniarity of the game. It seems a bit to open now with no real direction. I'm not to thrilled about the reuse of areas and as a result I'm not playing as much. Hopefully I'll get back into it after taking a break.

Around the Network

@SpookyXJ

To progress with the linear story all you have to do is approach the port of Numara with the Nautilus. This will instigate the Arthosaurus battle. That is when you find out the cold truth. Up until that point in the game the monsters have actually been taking it easy on you. From that point onward they really start to take on whole new dimensions of difficulty. I would describe it as losing mercy. That margin that would let you hang in earlier is just gone.

I suppose thats what the lull is for to give the players a chance to back out of the story, and tweak their characters. I knew that is exactly what I had to do after facing Arthosaurus for the first time. After he killed me in under a minute. I realized I was completely out of my depth as far as the developers were concerned, and I really was. There were a lot of things that I had totally screwed up, and before I would just muscle through them with healing tanks, and mana capsules. Which in hindsight was pretty damned stupid of me.

Before you jump back into the story proper make sure your characters are built correctly. Make sure you have enough elemental resistance. Make sure you have enough items for protracted dungeons. Make sure you have enough accessories, skill slots, and the right equipment.

My absolute best advice is that you make sure you get Sarah's notebook, and have leveled every immortal in it, and make sure you give it to your mortal character before you proceed onward. You have to increase your fire resistance regardless, and at least fire absorb not only nullifies fire, but it can actually use fire to heal your characters.

Thanks for the tips. I wondered why it would not let you travel to Numura on the quick map.

Jessman said:
I have not seen this game in Australia yet, but i am hoping it will be here soon... it certainly looks impressive.

It was released the same day as DMC4 down under and has been in stock in every store I have been to since it launched. I`ll probably be picking this up this week due to the fantastic things I have heard from gamers and not the reviewers on the net.

Im halfway through the final disk and its insane. Almost done, wonder what the end will be.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I finally finished the game at just north of seventy hours. However I still have a list of achievements to polish off. I haven't visited all fields. Obtained all the treasures. Found all the dreams. Finished all the treasure hunts. Mastered all the immortal skills. Finished the combat arena. The list is nigh endless. So I expect to spend at the very least another dozen hours on the game in the short term for achievement points.

After you complete the game you do get a second play through with your characters general experience. Unfortunately it appears you have to learn all the skills again. So at most it helps you with a quick play through which shouldn't take more then thirty hours at the most.

I felt the ending was generally good, and despite what anyone has said the ending is open for a sequel. I want to avoid spoiling the ending, but not all things are resolved yet end in a charming kind of way.