By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are people predicting massive MGS4 numbers?

Well for one, I plan on getting it and I haven't even owned a PS2 and none of my friends owned the game.
I'm hyped just from the trailers...

I think that if you own a PS3 already, in order not to get the game you either have to really hate the genre, or be consious of spending $50 (or $90 in the UK).

I'm just getting it out of curiosity and I find it difficult i'll just play it on easy just for the story...

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

I definitely don't think it's crazy to suggest that MGS4 will beat MGS3. Halo 3 it isn't, but I think we coudl see something akin to DMC4/DMC3:

MGS4 is more heavily advertised, bundled with the system, and is one of fewer major games. MGS3 was less well advertised, was not bundled, and was one in a sea of major PS2 exclusives.

Therefore, I think it's possible that despite the lower user base, MGS4 may match or even surpass MGS3, and could hit 5 million sold.

Not saying that's a definite, by any means, just isn't outside the realm of possibility, either.

I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say it'll sell much better than we expect it too, simply on hype, packin, and lack of other games on the PS3.

I think the historical numbers won't accurately reflect the hit MGS4 will be.

That said, we're gonna get a LOT of people who hate the game on these forums, because they bought it off hype, and the game is largely niche.

I, personally love the games, and don't really care how well it sells, but I do believe it will sell better than 3, simply because of hype, packin, and lack of other quality games.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@ PDF

R&C did not see as much as would of been licked

I think R&C is doing well enough and will probably sell a lot for its lifecycle also due to bundling. R&C needs some more gerne support titles, I would call them. A support title would be a game like Jak & Daxter, LittleBigPlanet or Crash Bandicoot (high profile and preferably exclusive), games liked by certain types of people more so than by other groups of people. People who bought a PS3 for Motorstorm, Resistance or Oblvion usually don't have as much affection for platform games.

Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 I think apart from competing do support each other in getting even more FPS fans onto the PS3, similarly I think MGS4 and GTA IV will help in this regard although they aren't FPS games, but still realistic style shooters.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I think the added gameplay mechanics, i.e. much more similar to a first person shooter, should add a lot of value and depth to the MGS franchise, especially for newcomers.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Something for the PS3 fans to think of:

"A rising tide raises all ships, and a falling tide lowers all ships"

The Wii is the perfect example of the "rising tide" effect being that (regardless of quality or marketing) all games that have been released for the Wii have sold very well, and most games have sold better than their Gamecube counterparts.

The PS3 at the same time is a good example of the "falling tide" effect being that even high quality big budget games with huge marketing budgets tend to struggle, no game has performed as well as their PS2 counter part, and their best selling games (Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance) have seen massive sales boosts because they were bundled.

This isn't to say that Metal Gear Solid 4 will sell poorly, but selling at (or near) PS2 levels is far above "selling well" and it is unrealistic to expect MGS4 match MGS3 or MGS2's sales.

Around the Network

People that dont have a ps3 because of lack of games but want one will see the bundle as their chance. its also the most anticipated game on ps3. ps3s user base is higher than the max that a mgs game has sold which is 7 mil. mgs 3 didnt sell bc of competition from halo half life and gta. mgs4 will probcly be one of the top selling games this year

Play B3yond

HappySqurriel said:

"A rising tide raises all ships, and a falling tide lowers all ships"

The Wii is the perfect example of the "rising tide" effect being that (regardless of quality or marketing) all games that have been released for the Wii have sold very well, and most games have sold better than their Gamecube counterparts.

The PS3 at the same time is a good example of the "falling tide" effect being that even high quality big budget games with huge marketing budgets tend to struggle, no game has performed as well as their PS2 counter part, and their best selling games (Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance) have seen massive sales boosts because they were bundled.

This isn't to say that Metal Gear Solid 4 will sell poorly, but selling at (or near) PS2 levels is far above "selling well" and it is unrealistic to expect MGS4 match MGS3 or MGS2's sales.

Ratched and Clank hasn't even broken a million copies. Replace that with Call of Duty 4. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

MikeB said:
@ PDF

R&C did not see as much as would of been licked

I think R&C is doing well enough and will probably sell a lot for its lifecycle also due to bundling. R&C needs some more gerne support titles, I would call them. A support title would be a game like Jak & Daxter, LittleBigPlanet or Crash Bandicoot (high profile and preferably exclusive), games liked by certain types of people more so than by other groups of people. People who bought a PS3 for Motorstorm, Resistance or Oblvion usually don't have as much affection for platform games.

Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 I think apart from competing do support each other in getting even more FPS fans onto the PS3, similarly I think MGS4 and GTA IV will help in this regard although they aren't FPS games, but still realistic style shooters.

Ratchet series sales comparison

R&C Future even seems to be outperforming other games in the series!

I'll predict if MGS4 sold like hotcakes Wii and 360 fanboys will claim it's because PS3 owners are just dying to finally play a good game.  Fanboys are predictable, nomatter how often proven wrong, nomatter how reasonable arguments you put forth.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

HappySqurriel said:

"A rising tide raises all ships, and a falling tide lowers all ships"

Unrealistic to sell at MGS3 levels? I think not.  The Ps3 has never had any game of this hype or caliber. The ps3 may be floating in a smaller ocean than the ps2 but just look at the increasing momentem. The tide is rising.

Besides MGS3 is an exception to the series. Pointing at it's clunky controls, untimely release window and being a prequel sees this edition at a disadvantage despite the huge userbase.

MGS4 is said to have a control scheme that will have more mass apeal. It is the spiritual successor of the popular MGS2. It is the first "next gen" MGS. It will be bundled. It is one of the 2 flagship games for the PS3, guaranteeing huge budget advertising.

There is every reason that MGS4 will sell at least at MGS3 levels. I'm sure we'll see alot of people come out of the woodwork to play this game. MGS fans and newcomers alike.

Did Gears of War have huge sales? Did it need a huge prequel to do that? MGS4 is huge because:
1. Its the first huge exclusive on the PS3
2. Its the finale in the series that has lasted a long time and built up a huge fanbase.
3. Its the direct sequel to the best selling MGS2.
4. It is graphically better than almost any game today.
5. It has an online portion, which will make it do even better in the US.
6. Unlike Gears or Halo, MGS ACTUALLY HAS GLOBAL APPEAL. (Think DMC4. Shouldn't be close in sales due to install base, but over 20% of Japan PS3 owners bought the game first week. MGS4>>>DMC4.)

So those people selling "welllllll the last one didn't put up huge numbers." Umm dawg seriously, the last one wasn't nearly as hyped as this one was. It is getting its own bundle, it will sell consoles and games in every region in the world, and it will have no competition whatsoever during the summer months.

This game is going to sell as fast as Gears 2 will worldwide because the European install base will be about equal, and it will have an extra region with Japan to sell in.