By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 wasn't a Late Bloomer, Neither was 360 and Neither will Wii U

Soundwave said:

Who the hell is still playing the original Wii Sports anyway, lol. Let it go, 2006 was a long time ago.

Besides Wii Fit U is a full blown sequel with new mini-games that improves on the original in every way ... and it still sold like crap.

Wii Party U is nothing to write home about either, it just has inflated sales because it's been bundled with basically every Japanese Wii U since last October or so.

Mario & Sonic Olympics flopped on the Wii U also. That's three duds on top of Wii Sports Club bombing.

Motion gaming in general is fizzling out. Kinect Sports on XBox One flopped too and Just Dance declines every year. 

The 100's of thousands of people who bought the original wii sports this year disagree with you.

YearYearlyChangeTotal
2006 2,565,015 N/A 2,565,015
2007 14,794,664 476.8% 17,359,679
2008 21,842,013 47.6% 39,201,692
2009 18,788,738 -14.0% 57,990,430
2010 15,069,016 -19.8% 73,059,446
2011 5,207,805 -65.4% 78,267,251
2012 2,391,862 -54.1% 80,659,113
2013 1,139,674 -52.4% 81,798,787
2014 272,202 -76.1%

Motion gaming is not in any way fizzling, after all these years  years though motion games need something new especially when the only mainstream thing showing off motion control games is an 8 year old game. I hardly doubt most of the general consumer know they can use the original wii mote with the wii u, if they did I bet the wii U and the games you mentioned above, when given wii marketing will sell a ton.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
Soundwave said:

Who the hell is still playing the original Wii Sports anyway, lol. Let it go, 2006 was a long time ago.

Besides Wii Fit U is a full blown sequel with new mini-games that improves on the original in every way ... and it still sold like crap.

Wii Party U is nothing to write home about either, it just has inflated sales because it's been bundled with basically every Japanese Wii U since last October or so.

Mario & Sonic Olympics flopped on the Wii U also. That's three duds on top of Wii Sports Club bombing.

Motion gaming in general is fizzling out. Kinect Sports on XBox One flopped too and Just Dance declines every year. 

The 100's of thousands of people who bought the original wii sports this year disagree with you.

YearYearlyChangeTotal
2014 272,202 -76.1%

Motion gaming is not in any way fizzling, after three years though motion games need something new especially when the only mainstream thing showing off motion control games is an 8 year old game.

Wii Fit U, Kinect Sports XBX One, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Wii Party U are new games. They all have mediocre sales. Your sales chart there doesn't really help your cause as it shows a pretty huge drop off in the said audience too. 

No one wants to play that anymore. It's an old fad that ran its course a long time ago. Just like Brian Training and Guitar Hero had their time as top selling franchises and now are done. 

Even Nintendo is not naive enough anymore to think there is an audience. They moved on to smartphones ages ago. 

Wii Sports was EIGHT YEARS AGO now. lol. No one cares other than maybe some cheapo parents willing to pay $79-$99 for Wii systems and that audience is not touching a $300+ console no matter what. 

Soundwave said:
Mr.Playstation said:
Soundwave said:

YearYearlyChangeTotal
2014 272,202 -76.1%

Motion gaming is not in any way fizzling, after three years though motion games need something new especially when the only mainstream thing showing off motion control games is an 8 year old game.

Wii Fit U, Kinect Sports XBX One, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Wii Party U are new games. They all have mediocre sales. Your sales chart there doesn't really help your cause as it shows a pretty huge drop off in the said audience too. 

No one wants to play that anymore. It's an old fad that ran its course a long time ago. Just like Brian Training and Guitar Hero had their time as top selling franchises and now are done. 

Even Nintendo is not naive enough anymore to think there is an audience. They moved on to smartphones ages ago. 

Wii Sports was EIGHT YEARS AGO now. lol. No one cares other than maybe some cheapo parents willing to pay $79-$99 for Wii systems and that audience is not touching a $300+ console no matter what. 

For these types of comparisms I like to see the percentages of people who own the game and all of the people who own the console a.k.a attach rate. Let us see:

Kinect sports 1 for the xbox 360 had an attach rate of 7.1%

Kinect sports Xbox one had an attach rate of 4% 

I agree with you that has definately gone down, not by much though definately not a failure.

Wii party for the wii had an attach rate of 8.13%

Wii party U for the wii U had an attach rate of 19.14%

That quite a good increase. Motion gaming is definately nothing like a single genre or game it's a whole innoviation a way how a console can be built.

P.S: Please don't call parents cheap not everyone can afford 300 dollar consoles. Just the fact that they actually brought their child a consoloe is good enough.

P.P.S: That sales chart shows the number of people who are still buying that the original wii sports after 8 years. I do not think that, that is a shrinking market but a market still going strong even though it is mainly fuelled by an 8 year old game.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

oniyide said:
sweetoothj said:
Soundwave said:

Kinda sad the Wii U can't keep up with a $600 PS3.

I like playstation consoles (ps3 was my favorite last gen) , but this is why I am disgusted with their brand. Playstation brand name carries them through everything. You're telling me a 600 dollar console with little to no games can outdo the Wii U at a way cheaper price with more games? That is such BS.

why is it BS? more games? prove it. Last i checked Sony's systems ALWAYS got supported from themselves and 3rd party. 3rd party being the key words here. Where is Wii U's 3rd party? nonexistent at this point and it hasnt even been out a full 2 years. Facts is SONY has built the PS brand up into something gamers can TRUST. That is an important word. THey have delivred the games since PS1 to now. Even when PS3 was getting its butt kicked it still delivered the games. Thats soemthing you cant say for Ninty, the reason why PS4 is selling much better than Wii U IMHO is people KNOW the games are going to come. With Ninty home consoles one can never be sure.

I agree w this-  I have only owned a Wii , Wiii U and 3ds ( our household ) but it is clear Playstation has built up credibility and trust as it relates to fully supporting its consoles- people are buying the PS4 now because they are comfortable doing so-  Re the Wii u there are still ardent Nintendo  supporters who have not purchased a Wii u yet because specific games are not out yet.  I bought the Wii u at launch but I would never buy another Nintendo console anywhere close to launch again-  IMO Nintendo has lost the kind of credibility it would take to generate big console sales based on what they say or insinuate will happen - because we really don t know what is coming and when it is coming (often) until the action and or event happens 

That's why I always said that the PS4 performance isn't really surprising. People have to think about what PS3 did with such a huge price and that years ago where people earned less on average as they do nowadays. If PS3 would have been 350  at launch, PS3 sales would have been crazy.

Around the Network

Novermeber and December 1.6million?!

:O
But

This year it means it will be NEARING 3 million!!!!! :D

edit: WII FIT U AND WII SPORTS CLUB had litterally no advertisng at all. They were just reported on from gaming sites......

chapset said:
Michael-5 said:
chapset said:
Michael-5 said:

A new Wii Sports still hasn't happened.

Wii U sport club launched already.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/83080/wii-sports-club/

Remake =/= New game

Well it does tell you something has changed doesn't it? the remake of the ''highest selling game'' can't even get close to 100k

It tells you that people don't care about Remakes/Wii Sport lacking console bundles. The original still sold over 1 million units in 2013.....

Plus how do you know how well it's selling on WiiU? VGC only counts retail sales of which it's only been out a few weeks. Digitally it's been out since last fall.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
chapset said:
Michael-5 said:
chapset said:
Michael-5 said:

A new Wii Sports still hasn't happened.

Wii U sport club launched already.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/83080/wii-sports-club/

Remake =/= New game

Well it does tell you something has changed doesn't it? the remake of the ''highest selling game'' can't even get close to 100k

It tells you that people don't care about Remakes/Wii Sport lacking console bundles. The original still sold over 1 million units in 2013.....

Plus how do you know how well it's selling on WiiU? VGC only counts retail sales of which it's only been out a few weeks. Digitally it's been out since last fall.

It's not selling well at retail plus it's not charting anywhere in the top 20 of eshop downloads, I don't know what more you need to hint that this casual mini game fad is way over plus iwata even said they would be focusing on hardcore in the future unless ofcourse you think wii sport was hardcore I don't see them wasting time to make an other one. Even if they did the effect would be very pale compared to the first one.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

padib said:
oniyide said:

that makes no sense. YOu just said portables disprove my thinking, then you turn around and say you dont know why n64 GC and WIi U sold are selling the way they sold. Maybe people rather just have those games on portables? as those systems are generally cheaper anyway and can give them their Ninty fix? The portable market is NOT the same as the home console their is overlap but i cant imagine its that much. So no it doesnt disprove anything as it doesnt really do much for home consoles. So why cant Ninty be just as successful in the home console space? Different audience? stiffer competition? people rather play on portables? all of the above?

@bolded on the contrary i would say the popularity has gotten WORSE. Where are you getting that its gotten more popular? prove it. Not with numbers because 3ds and Wii U are tracking below their predessecors, Wii U much more so. Hell from Nes on forward Nintendo's popularity dropped until Wii and now we are right back to square one so to speak. hell it might be worst than ever before.

Edit: @bolded 2, LOL what? Nintendo lost popularity cause it lost games, period. Every major 3rd party jump ship to PS1 when Ninty got to big to listen to anyone. How do you think PS got popular in the first place? Come on man open your eyes. Sony popularity is def hindering Ninty's otherwise it would not be kicking its butt the way it is despite having a year headstart. The only consolation is that it is more different to PS4 than xone is. So it could stand out better.

My proof for the current popularity of Nintendo games are the sales of Nintendo SW on the portable systems (very high) and the sales of Nintendo SW on the Wii, including non-motion games such as Mario Kart and NSMBWii.

Wii was last gen. What about now? why arent they doing anywhere near as well as they did on Wii? Why is the system on track to be the worse selling Ninty home console ever? Hell why is the 3ds doing so much worse than DS? You cant ignore present factors and try to hang on past ones, that snot proof. Somethng happened to make people lose interest, or maybe they were never that interested to begin with.

Shovel Knight will save the Wii U.