By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 wasn't a Late Bloomer, Neither was 360 and Neither will Wii U

MTZehvor said:
Shovel Knight will save the Wii U.

MK8 already did -- but watching the epic trailer for Shovel Knight makes me agree with you too!

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
chapset said:
Michael-5 said:

It tells you that people don't care about Remakes/Wii Sport lacking console bundles. The original still sold over 1 million units in 2013.....

Plus how do you know how well it's selling on WiiU? VGC only counts retail sales of which it's only been out a few weeks. Digitally it's been out since last fall.

It's not selling well at retail plus it's not charting anywhere in the top 20 of eshop downloads, I don't know what more you need to hint that this casual mini game fad is way over plus iwata even said they would be focusing on hardcore in the future unless ofcourse you think wii sport was hardcore I don't see them wasting time to make an other one. Even if they did the effect would be very pale compared to the first one.

A new Wii Sports won't be as big as the first game, but it could give another Mario Kart level boost. MK8 boosted sales by 100%

Anyway like I said before WiiU will likely be selling 5-6 million units for the next little while, Mario Kart 8 helped, Smash Bros. and a new Wii Sports will likely help more. 5-6 million is much much less then Wii levels of success, but with the console generation lasting longer this could mean that WiiU sells as well as N64.

Do you hear people complain that N64 was so terrible?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

padib said:
oniyide said:

Wii was last gen. What about now? why arent they doing anywhere near as well as they did on Wii? Why is the system on track to be the worse selling Ninty home console ever? Hell why is the 3ds doing so much worse than DS? You cant ignore present factors and try to hang on past ones, that snot proof. Somethng happened to make people lose interest, or maybe they were never that interested to begin with.

I don't disagree with you, your questions are valid. I just disagree with your previous point which was to say that few people buy Nintendo games as a general rule. We know by a few successful Nintendo consoles and their 1st party software sales that that is untrue. I just need 1 example to prove that.

As for why the U is doing badly, my theory is a lack of a strong library and a high entry point, as well as a lack of appealing novelty? I don't pretend to have the right answers, but I'm just trying to offer a possible explanation to your questions.

Maybe few is too strong of a word. I'll admit that, but IMHO Ninty games are not that popular enough to drive sales of a system to healthy sales at least not in the home console market. That has been true since the N64 and is even more so today. Portable market? sure but even that is rapidly losing ground. IMHO it just isnt enough to sustain healthy sales for 2 platforms. Not going to say they should go 3rd party, but maybe they might not need to be making home consoles anymore