By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 won this week in NA, congrats!

Sol said:
tombi123 said:
FishyJoe said:
Wow, I didn't even mention the Wii. Sure I'm a bit disappointed in Wii sales for the week, but like I said, no complaints.

You didn't need to mention the Wii. The title implied that the PS3 'won' against the 360 and Wii.

You started this thread to deliberately stir things up. I would expect better from a mod.

In your opinion, geez what a way to troll and push the discussion off topic. The discussion was progressing quite nicely and was civil until you decided to show up and attack fishyjoe. Anyway the PS3 continues to defeat the 360 in worldwide sales each week, and is slowly but surely narrowing the gap. It will be interesting to see how close it can get to the 360 by the end of the year, especially in it's most difficult region of NA.

I suppose what I said was more off topic than tax repayments, I am so sorry.  

Around the Network

going off-topic is not the same as trolling.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
tombi123 said:
FishyJoe said:
Wow, I didn't even mention the Wii. Sure I'm a bit disappointed in Wii sales for the week, but like I said, no complaints.

You didn't need to mention the Wii. The title implied that the PS3 'won' against the 360 and Wii.

You started this thread to deliberately stir things up. I would expect better from a mod.

Actually, he started to prevent people like you (angry fanboys) to create one, so we can discuss it here in a civilized way, so far no one has got any complaint except for you.

Nice idea Fishy

I have known Fishy longer than you, the phrase 'fair and square' in his opening post clearly isn't correct because 2 out of the 3 systems have supply issues. Fishy isn't stupid, so I assumed that it was a sarcastic post.

bigjon said:
I will wait on NDP to see if this PS3 tear is true... the software sales do not seem to be backing it up much. Is it possible that ioi over adjusted his formula after undertracking it in Jan? I still think NDP could have had the PS3 too high. Walmart is not tracked by NDP and NDP may have calcualted WalMart by the Same formula they used in the PS2 days. But that was back when the casuals all bought their PS2 games from WM. Now many casuals have moved over to the Wii I beleive NDP's formula is bogus.

That is why Wii was low and PS3 high. Their formula is off. Sometimes historical methods can lead to gross inacuracy.

I'm sorry, if you really think NPD (who has thousands of people working for it) has less accurate numbers than VGChartz (who has tens of people working for it), you are dumber than I think you are. NPD may be flawed because it doesn't include Wal-Mart, but its data is 100% legit.

I mean no disrespect to VGChartz whatsoever, and I commend it wholeheartedly for what it does, but claiming VGChartz is more reliable than the NPD is one of the dumbest things I have heard in my life.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Beating the Wii is, of course, only temporary, but congrats anyway. Good job to sony for beating the 360 almost two months in a row now.

Around the Network

Thousands of employees from NPD? I wouldnt be so sure about that.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

akuma587 said:
bigjon said:
I will wait on NDP to see if this PS3 tear is true... the software sales do not seem to be backing it up much. Is it possible that ioi over adjusted his formula after undertracking it in Jan? I still think NDP could have had the PS3 too high. Walmart is not tracked by NDP and NDP may have calcualted WalMart by the Same formula they used in the PS2 days. But that was back when the casuals all bought their PS2 games from WM. Now many casuals have moved over to the Wii I beleive NDP's formula is bogus.

That is why Wii was low and PS3 high. Their formula is off. Sometimes historical methods can lead to gross inacuracy.

I'm sorry, if you really think NPD (who has thousands of people working for it) has less accurate numbers than VGChartz (who has tens of people working for it), you are dumber than I think you are. NPD may be flawed because it doesn't include Wal-Mart, but its data is 100% legit.

I mean no disrespect to VGChartz whatsoever, and I commend it wholeheartedly for what it does, but claiming VGChartz is more reliable than the NPD is one of the dumbest things I have heard in my life.

Besides organizing data, it takes one computer to calculate the sales... and deciding some random factors that might affect the sales could be done by 10 people.

Tell me, how many times has NPD changed their numbers last year to correct wrong sales, and how many times has VGChartz done so last year?

Stever89 said:

Besides organizing data, it takes one computer to calculate the sales... and deciding some random factors that might affect the sales could be done by 10 people.

Tell me, how many times has NPD changed their numbers last year to correct wrong sales, and how many times has VGChartz done so last year?

VGChartz has corrected their's every month too.  There is nothing wrong with correcting data to make it right.  I have a lot of respect for VGChartz and think they are more forthright than the NPD, but major businesses subscribe to NPD numbers for a lot of money for a reason, because they are the most accurate gauge of sales numbers.

If Wal-Mart is not giving their numbers to NPD, I highly doubt they are giving them to VGChartz. 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Stever89 said:

VGChartz has corrected their's every month too. There is nothing wrong with correcting data to make it right. I have a lot of respect for VGChartz and think they are more forthright than the NPD, but major businesses subscribe to NPD numbers for a lot of money for a reason, because they are the most accurate gauge of sales numbers.

If Wal-Mart is not giving their numbers to NPD, I highly doubt they are giving them to VGChartz.

But how many times does NPD correct their numbers?

akuma587 said:
bigjon said:

I know you are gonna hate to hear this but Vgchartz was about 250k closer for the Wii than NDP was for decembers(nintendo's official numbers confirm this). I happen to know alot about statistics, and I know that they do not have a sample from Walmart(which was known last gen as a bastion of PS2 casuals sales)

Things have change since last gen and if NDP has not adjusted their formula for Walmart they ARE off. The Wii has effectly stolen most casuals from sony, and as I stated earlier the others have gone to MS. The PS3 did not sell great over Christmas despite being in ample stock, and now it is selling better than the other 2? This does not add up. If someone was buying a next gen console for GTA4 they would just pick up a 360 Arcade(not hard to find) and it is 120 bucks cheaper(remember GTA is VERY Casual).

Basically these good sales make no logical sense, NDP without walmart is no better than VGC IMO. ioi changed his formula based on NDP's ESTIMATION, which explains why VGC has been about 30k higher a week since Jan NDP came out. I believe ioi may have over adjusted because NDP is high. That sums it up.

(sorry, for bad grammer- I have to get back to one of my clients)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut