By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 won this week in NA, congrats!

^^Your whole theory is based on an "IF" and therefore just that, a theory with no evidence.

Around the Network
Stever89 said:
akuma587 said:

VGChartz has corrected their's every month too. There is nothing wrong with correcting data to make it right. I have a lot of respect for VGChartz and think they are more forthright than the NPD, but major businesses subscribe to NPD numbers for a lot of money for a reason, because they are the most accurate gauge of sales numbers.

If Wal-Mart is not giving their numbers to NPD, I highly doubt they are giving them to VGChartz.

But how many times does NPD correct their numbers?

Will nobody answer me?

Stever89 said:
Stever89 said:
akuma587 said:

VGChartz has corrected their's every month too. There is nothing wrong with correcting data to make it right. I have a lot of respect for VGChartz and think they are more forthright than the NPD, but major businesses subscribe to NPD numbers for a lot of money for a reason, because they are the most accurate gauge of sales numbers.

If Wal-Mart is not giving their numbers to NPD, I highly doubt they are giving them to VGChartz.

Will nobody answer me?

I don't think anybody can tell you exactly, and does it really matter?? VGchartz corrects their numbers often so what exactly is your argument to discredit NPD?

Boy PS3 in Japan really blew though... For the Sony stronghold they got whooped... February 24th last year PS3 was over 24th in Japan... Is playstation really doing that great given the postive press it has received lately?

Auron said:
Stever89 said:
Stever89 said:

Will nobody answer me?

I don't think anybody can tell you exactly, and does it really matter?? VGchartz corrects their numbers often so what exactly is your argument to discredit NPD?

Because we know that VGChartz was more accurate in December for at least the Wii. We know this through financial shipments that Nintendo released.

And since we can't see when/if/how much NPD changes their numbers, we can't even say if we're wrong just by looking at their numbers because they might change them next month and we'd have no idea. Though VGChartz doesn't correct their numbers directly for NPD (they call retailers and the manufacturers to see what they say), we might be correcting for numbers that aren't all that wrong anyway. 

Around the Network

stever you have been singing the same tune for a while now. just give it up. there isnt a point

That's because everytime I make my point, nobody, like you, ever reads the whole thing, and picks out one line and then says something along the lines of "but we correct for other tracking firms!" even though I had already started why we might do so in the very post you were quoting.

want to hear something funny? IOI changed the numbers last month.... whats your point now?

If the Wii was undertracked by 100k according to NPD, and the PS3/360 were overtracked by 100k each during the month of Feb, and he didn't change them, I don't think many people would have a problem with it. But once it's the other way around (at least for the PS3 being undertracked) it becomes an arms race to get him to up his numbers. And for Jan he did up the PS3 numbers, but not as much as NPD had said, and I don't think he touched anything else, except for the DS which he brought down a bit, but not as much as NPD had said.

So he doesn't take his numbers right from NPD, he looks at NPD numbers, calls a few people, and then adjusts.

Seriously, I don't understand this whole movement to discredit the NPD numbers. They are the best you are going to get. I am sorry they "might" have undertracked the Wii for one month. I am sorry they "might" have overtracked the PS3 at some point.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson