By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 won this week in NA, congrats!

You are silly.

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:
You are silly.

Nice. Seriously, why are you even here?

akuma587 said:

Seriously, I don't understand this whole movement to discredit the NPD numbers. They are the best you are going to get. I am sorry they "might" have undertracked the Wii for one month. I am sorry they "might" have overtracked the PS3 at some point.

That's part of the problem. There's no one else to get numbers from, so everyone uses them. And since we never know how far they may be off or how much they might change their numbers, we can only assume they are 100% correct, and since companies have no other place to get numbers from, they aren't going to care if NPD is 20% off one month, as long as they are correct generally and agree (for the most part) with shipment data.

Since VGChartz is generally close and it agrees with shipment data, and is usually only off by a little bit from NPD, I don't see why people jump on it for disagreeing with NPD for one month, since we didn't agree with NPD during December, and happened to be right.

Why are you here? All you contribute is the same nonsense everyday....

It's simple math. 60%NPD > VGC's <10%

and you're silly for not thinking people would question it if it was someone else. Ive seen multiple times "I wonder what IOI is going to do about this"

tombi123 said:
trestres said:
tombi123 said:
FishyJoe said:

Actually, he started to prevent people like you (angry fanboys) to create one, so we can discuss it here in a civilized way, so far no one has got any complaint except for you.

Nice idea Fishy

I have known Fishy longer than you, the phrase 'fair and square' in his opening post clearly isn't correct because 2 out of the 3 systems have supply issues. Fishy isn't stupid, so I assumed that it was a sarcastic post.

I wouldn't say that it wasn't a fair-and-square victory.  Nintendo and Microsoft didn't ship enough units, so the PS3 outselling both the Wii and 360 isn't really Sony's fault.  Now if Sony somehow lowered the numbers for the Wii and 360 or increased the numbers for the PS3, then I would agree that they didn't win fair and square.

To put it in another way; If a basketball team beats their opponents because their opponents had not prepared enough, do we say that the wining baskeball team didn't win fair and square?

Sony should feel proud that the PS3 outsold the Wii for what I think has been two weeks in a row now.  Congrats Sony.   

PooperScooper said:

Why are you here? All you contribute is the same nonsense everyday....

It's simple math. 60%NPD > VGC's <10%

and you're silly for not thinking people would question it if it was someone else. Ive seen multiple times "I wonder what IOI is going to do about this"

I'm only going to respond to this one and then, because this has been gone over so many times. You need to take a statistics course. 10% of the market can show very reliable sales trends, and ioi has proved it over and over again. It's not simple math either. More of the market doesn't mean you are getting a better sample.

And maybe you should start a thread asking which of us should leave. And whoever has more votes, should leave. Or at least not post anymore. Or whatever. 

Around the Network

Now you're being ridiculous. All I'm saying is you singing the same song all day everyday is pretty redundant. Once MS and Sony and Nintendo start acknowlodging VGC I'll then find them more accurate. As of right now it's just a general idea of what's going on until then.

I think I add a lot to this site. Seems I get overlooked from all the random off topic threads that go on. But I wrote an article on casuals and their effect on the gaming market, and it didn't take off and didn't even ignite the discussions I would have hoped.

You just happen to find me in these NPD discussions where I say many of the same things because it's the truth and there's no reason to diverge from it.

And yes, I know I'm responding, but what the hell.

ok, I'm back.

you do realize it is very possible to get within 5% with a 1% sample if you take they sample from unbiased representive sources.

I will give you an example- When I was in college for a statistics project I got the data of types of cars people owned on my campus(ford, honda, etc) and my sample was VERY small compared to the total population(like .0000001%). But do you what I found? My sample was with 10% of that of the national statistics based hard retailer sales.

10% is huge is VGC really had that much. And yes NDP is probably perfect for their 60%, but the problem is that Walmart makes up for the rest. And since they are making an estimate to what walmart is selling but have no data they are making and nothing more than an educated guess. They are making this "guess" based on historical data, which I pointed out would be irrelevant in the changing marketplace. I believe walmart Walmart is throwing off their numbers by ALOT. I am not gonna pull numbers out of my rear, but I am gonna guess where you see NDP high and VGC low(and Vice Versa) you can bet that it would be somewhere in the middle.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

poopy cut it out, stever is a good poster- he actually appears to put some thought behind his post. You should be glad there actually posters on this forum who articulate their ideas instead answer everthing with- "LOLZ" "I agree" "tHE Wii is FAD!!!1"

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

LOLZ @ ur post.