By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 will probably get to around 16 Million by 1 January 2015

binary solo said:

Some people have been saying that Sept-Dec console sales comes out to be roughly double Jan-Aug sales for the same year. Meaning predictions are going around saying PS4 will be at 20 million by the end of the year. This 1:2 ratio may well be true for most years, or as an average, but when you look at the first full year of a console's life cycle the ratio seems to be closer to 1:1.

Wii's first full year it was roughly 1:1

360's first full year is was a bit over 1:1

PS3's first full year was about 1:1

Wii U's was 1:1.67 but that came with a price cut, but is still well short of 1:2

So as it seems like PS4 is heading for about 5.5 million for the year to 1 Sept, it means we're looking at around 6 million for Sept to Dec (give or take half a million). And as PS4 LTD is going to be at roughly 10.3-10.5 million for the LTD to 1 Sept, that means 16.3-16.5 million LTD.

I think 16 million LTD is a very safe bet, and 17 million is quite possible. But I think it will be stretching it to go much beyond 17 million LTD by 1 Jan 2015.

The picture of course is not rosy for Xb one if the 1:1 ratio for first full year holds true. For Xb one we're looking at around 2.3 million by 1 Sept, so we are looking at possibly no more than 3 million for the rest of the year. To give Xb one a grand total of around 8 million by 1 January 2015.

Wii U being in its second full year should get closer to the 1:2 level, which means it should also do about 3 million from 1 Sept to 1 Jan. And that will put it at 10 million LTD by 1 Jan.

The average ratio is double but it may be as low as 83% as recorded in histroy due to several reasons. Also it is accurate to look at one single only but rather the entire generation due to the switch from userbase and the change in the market share and then adjust accordingly.

Also the PS3's first year performance sounds a nitpicked as it was prohibitively expensive and in short supply due to bluray and complex hardware issues. The consumer behavior is more general and different from that. Why don't you look at the collective behavior of the entire 7th generation?

After all, it would be very naive to suggest PS4 will not sell more in the second half of 2014 than the first one. The calculations have already been done with a good deal of confidence. At the end of the day your 16 million estimate is within the given range, but now that the VGChartz data is upped a bit, the figures may use a bit uphold.

2014 End Sales Estimates, more convincing than ever

"....In short, although the ranges somewhat move in either direction, the core estimates don't change

PS4
Original estimate : 13.7 - 17 mil
Half2 / Half1 estimate : 15.7 - 18 mil
Halves analysis update :  3.4 / 3.49 * (15.7 - 18 mil) = 15.3 - 17.5 mil

XB1
Original estimate : 6.3 - 9.8 mil
Half2 / Half1 estimate : 8.1 - 9.5 mil
Halves analysis update : 3.58 / 3.49 * (8.1 - 9.5 mil) = 8.3 - 9.7 mil

So we can now confidently say, by the end of 2014

PS4 will sell around 16-17 million
XB1 will sell around 8-9 million

...."

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

Last time I checked 22 year olds do not buy 400 dollar gifts for people. Like I said before WiiU will dominate this holiday season. They have the games and now Amiibo to help kids get their parents to buy it for them. IF This quarter they are in the black, which could very well happen, you might even see a 50 dollar price cut in November.

freedquaker said:
binary solo said:

Some people have been saying that Sept-Dec console sales comes out to be roughly double Jan-Aug sales for the same year. Meaning predictions are going around saying PS4 will be at 20 million by the end of the year. This 1:2 ratio may well be true for most years, or as an average, but when you look at the first full year of a console's life cycle the ratio seems to be closer to 1:1.

Wii's first full year it was roughly 1:1

360's first full year is was a bit over 1:1

PS3's first full year was about 1:1

Wii U's was 1:1.67 but that came with a price cut, but is still well short of 1:2

So as it seems like PS4 is heading for about 5.5 million for the year to 1 Sept, it means we're looking at around 6 million for Sept to Dec (give or take half a million). And as PS4 LTD is going to be at roughly 10.3-10.5 million for the LTD to 1 Sept, that means 16.3-16.5 million LTD.

I think 16 million LTD is a very safe bet, and 17 million is quite possible. But I think it will be stretching it to go much beyond 17 million LTD by 1 Jan 2015.

The picture of course is not rosy for Xb one if the 1:1 ratio for first full year holds true. For Xb one we're looking at around 2.3 million by 1 Sept, so we are looking at possibly no more than 3 million for the rest of the year. To give Xb one a grand total of around 8 million by 1 January 2015.

Wii U being in its second full year should get closer to the 1:2 level, which means it should also do about 3 million from 1 Sept to 1 Jan. And that will put it at 10 million LTD by 1 Jan.

The average ratio is double but it may be as low as 83% as recorded in histroy due to several reasons. Also it is accurate to look at one single only but rather the entire generation due to the switch from userbase and the change in the market share and then adjust accordingly.

Also the PS3's first year performance sounds a nitpicked as it was prohibitively expensive and in short supply due to bluray and complex hardware issues. The consumer behavior is more general and different from that. Why don't you look at the collective behavior of the entire 7th generation?

After all, it would be very naive to suggest PS4 will not sell more in the second half of 2014 than the first one. The calculations have already been done with a good deal of confidence. At the end of the day your 16 million estimate is within the given range, but now that the VGChartz data is upped a bit, the figures may use a bit uphold.

2014 End Sales Estimates, more convincing than ever

"....In short, although the ranges somewhat move in either direction, the core estimates don't change

PS4
Original estimate : 13.7 - 17 mil
Half2 / Half1 estimate : 15.7 - 18 mil
Halves analysis update :  3.4 / 3.49 * (15.7 - 18 mil) = 15.3 - 17.5 mil

XB1
Original estimate : 6.3 - 9.8 mil
Half2 / Half1 estimate : 8.1 - 9.5 mil
Halves analysis update : 3.58 / 3.49 * (8.1 - 9.5 mil) = 8.3 - 9.7 mil

So we can now confidently say, by the end of 2014

PS4 will sell around 16-17 million
XB1 will sell around 8-9 million

...."

You seem to be disagreeing with me but then you come up with the same 16-17 million range. I'm not comparing 1H and 2H I am comparing 8 months to 4 months.

I do look at the collective behaviour of the entire 7th gen because I show Wii, 360 and PS3 year 1 ratios. If all 3 ratios individually are approximately 1:1 then the ratios combined will also be about 1:1. The first full year on the market looks like it reliably has the lowest 8mo:4mo ratio because of consistent factors: price is still usually the same as launch price, game library is still very cross generational, number of games that are only on new gen consoles is relatively small, and you may have supply limitations too. All these consistent multi generation factors are at play for PS4. Wii U had cut the price in it's first full year and its ratio did not quite reach 1:1.7.  Wii U probably also had more Wii U only games on it than PS4 or Xb one will have going in to this holiday, though I haven't analysed that assumption, so I may be wrong.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

DolPhanTendo said:
Last time I checked 22 year olds do not buy 400 dollar gifts for people. Like I said before WiiU will dominate this holiday season. They have the games and now Amiibo to help kids get their parents to buy it for them. IF This quarter they are in the black, which could very well happen, you might even see a 50 dollar price cut in November.

This has nothing to do with the actual topic of the thread. I give Xb one and Wii U numbers for illustrative purposes only, noting that we should expect a different ratio from WIi U because it is in its 2nd year. If Wii U and Xb one sales start coming in to this thread I'll delete those 2 paragrahs from the OP.

You may or may not be right. But what you say has not bearing on how much PS4 will sell, the historical data is very reliable and PS4 will sell 5 million or more between Sept and Dec. If you believe Wii U will do more than that, then that is fine. But go make your own thread about it, please don't derail this thread. This thread is about using historical data to predict PS4 sales for the last 4 months of 2014, and PS4 LTD by 1 Jan 2015.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

cheryl said:

i think 16 million is impossible.

ps4 sales in japan not are good, there aren´t japanase games that helps to sell consoles there.

if ps4 had japanase important games, now ps4 could have about 12 million systems sold worldwide.

i think it could be possible sell to the end of the year about 12-14 million.

The console was at 10m sold mid August, and you expect it to sell 12-14 million by the end of the year? The last quarter starts in October, there's 1 full month left before that, the PS4 is still undertracked on this website and will likely be at 11m with Destiny and that bundle by the end of September, so... you expect the console to sell only 1/3m in the last and most packed quarter of year in terms of sales? Hm unlikely.

Around the Network
binary solo said:

You seem to be disagreeing with me but then you come up with the same 16-17 million range. I'm not comparing 1H and 2H I am comparing 8 months to 4 months.

I do look at the collective behaviour of the entire 7th gen because I show Wii, 360 and PS3 year 1 ratios. If all 3 ratios individually are approximately 1:1 then the ratios combined will also be about 1:1. The first full year on the market looks like it reliably has the lowest 8mo:4mo ratio because of consistent factors: price is still usually the same as launch price, game library is still very cross generational, number of games that are only on new gen consoles is relatively small, and you may have supply limitations too. All these consistent multi generation factors are at play for PS4. Wii U had cut the price in it's first full year and its ratio did not quite reach 1:1.7.  Wii U probably also had more Wii U only games on it than PS4 or Xb one will have going in to this holiday, though I haven't analysed that assumption, so I may be wrong.

It was an oversight on my part as to what periods you were comparing, which also explains why we come up with similar results with somewhat different assumptions. But yes, 16 million does not sound wrong, although I tend to expect a bit more on average.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

I'll subtract 4 million and say about 12.

edit: The Holidays is Nintendo's.

cheryl said:

september, october, november, december.

4 months.

1 month = 4 weeks

4 month x 4 weeks = 16 weeks

if ps4 sells worldwide about 120,000 consoles per week...

120,000 per week x 16 weeks = 1.920,000 consoles worldwide to the end of the year 2014.

10,1 million consoles + 1,920,000 = 12,020,000 total consoles in 1 year and 2 months in the market.

as i said, is very difficult to sell 14 million or more but not impossible.

First off, it is 17.5 weeks. Second off, it has never sold below 130,000, so why on earth would it start selling 120,000 per week during the holiday season?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

CGI-Quality said:
PigPen said:

Hmmm...so it will sell just under 2 million between now and the end of the year? Hope you aren't planning to take bets on this, as it will be proven wrong by the beginning of Oct (at the lastest). And the holiday won't belong to the WiiU, if that's what you're getting at. I imagine it being outsold by both the X1 as well,  during the holiday.

OT: 16 million is doable, but I'm thinking a bit higher - 18 million.

Maybe 13 million, but definitely not 16.  If it's the Wii U or the New 3DS, it's still Nintendo's holiday.

PigPen said:
CGI-Quality said:
PigPen said:

Hmmm...so it will sell just under 2 million between now and the end of the year? Hope you aren't planning to take bets on this, as it will be proven wrong by the beginning of Oct (at the lastest). And the holiday won't belong to the WiiU, if that's what you're getting at. I imagine it being outsold by both the X1 as well,  during the holiday.

OT: 16 million is doable, but I'm thinking a bit higher - 18 million.

Maybe 13 million, but definitely not 16.  If it's the Wii U or the New 3DS, it's still Nintendo's.

PigPen...

you know you are just saying that because this is a Sony thread.

Come on Pigpen...