By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you want to see in Pokken Tournament?

it looks like all characters will be fighting with an exemption of uhm let say pikachu?

i bet mienshao will be my main... i want a anna/nina williams-ish character....

who will be your main?

http://veekun.com/dex/types/fighting

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

I don't see the point to having unrealistic expectations. I wouldn't even know what to do with an 80-fighter roster.

Some of the best fighting games have very small rosters. Look at a game like Under Night In-Birth. Small, extremely diverse roster. I'd much rather have 20 really unique Pokemon than 80 that are mostly really similar.

Again, I don't particularly want to play as Voltorb or Grimer or Keldeo in a fighting game. Give me Poliwrath, give me Heracross, give me Breloom, I'll be happy. Interesting designs with unique properties. Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo are probably all given.

I don't think it's unrealistic when the Naruto fighting games, which are also made by Bamco, have rosters that big. And who says it'll get to Voltorb or Grimer or Keldeo? There are like 700+ Pokemon to choose from. 

aikohualda said:
it looks like all characters will be fighting with an exemption of uhm let say pikachu?

who will be your main?

No it's confirmed to be all types and not just bipedal Pokemon.

spemanig said:
aikohualda said:

who will be your main?

No it's confirmed to be all types and not just bipedal Pokemon.

link?

ok i hope a wobbuffet.... that focuses on counter hits... and some silly accidental moves like falling and hurting the opposing pokemon more than a comical relief...

spemanig said:
the_dengle said:

I don't see the point to having unrealistic expectations. I wouldn't even know what to do with an 80-fighter roster.

Some of the best fighting games have very small rosters. Look at a game like Under Night In-Birth. Small, extremely diverse roster. I'd much rather have 20 really unique Pokemon than 80 that are mostly really similar.

Again, I don't particularly want to play as Voltorb or Grimer or Keldeo in a fighting game. Give me Poliwrath, give me Heracross, give me Breloom, I'll be happy. Interesting designs with unique properties. Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo are probably all given.

I don't think it's unrealistic when the Naruto fighting games, which are also made by Bamco, have rosters that big. And who says it'll get to Voltorb or Grimer or Keldeo? There are like 700+ Pokemon to choose from. 

That is incorrect. The Naruto games are published by Bamco; they are made by CyberConnect2. Harada has nothing to do with them.

Anyway those games are shit so they're not exactly the golden standard to which Pokken should be compared. And I just used those mons as examples to illustrate that not all Pokemon would be appropriate for this style of gameplay. In fact, I feel that the vast majority of Pokemon would be redundant or simply not interesting enough for inclusion.

Come on. You know there aren't going to be 80 playable Pokemon. That number is absurd. There is one fighting game with a roster that size, it is the fourth game in its series and it was outsourced to the developers of .hack. Tekken 6 didn't have anywhere near that many characters -- Tekken SIX. So when I say "unrealistic" I don't mean it's impossible to have a game with that many characters, or that the game shouldn't have that many characters. I mean it's not going to have that many playable characters. It simply won't. It is unrealistic to expect that many because there is absolutely no precedent anywhere in the information we know about this game's developer or publisher and their respective histories of game development that would lead us to the conclusion that Pokken will have anywhere close to 80 playable characters.

I would be more than happy with 25 because I am expecting this to be a fighting game, an action game built on reflexes, muscle memory, and mind games. If I was expecting it to be a Pokemon game, an RPG based on team-building and customization, I should certainly expect a larger variety of tools.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

That is incorrect. The Naruto games are published by Bamco; they are made by CyberConnect2. Harada has nothing to do with them.

Anyway those games are shit so they're not exactly the golden standard to which Pokken should be compared. And I just used those mons as examples to illustrate that not all Pokemon would be appropriate for this style of gameplay. In fact, I feel that the vast majority of Pokemon would be redundant or simply not interesting enough for inclusion.

Come on. You know there aren't going to be 80 playable Pokemon. That number is absurd. There is one fighting game with a roster that size, it is the fourth game in its series and it was outsourced to the developers of .hack. Tekken 6 didn't have anywhere near that many characters -- Tekken SIX. So when I say "unrealistic" I don't mean it's impossible to have a game with that many characters, or that the game shouldn't have that many characters. I mean it's not going to have that many playable characters. It simply won't. It is unrealistic to expect that many because there is absolutely no precedent anywhere in the information we know about this game's developer or publisher and their respective histories of game development that would lead us to the conclusion that Pokken will have anywhere close to 80 playable characters.

I would be more than happy with 25 because I am expecting this to be a fighting game, an action game built on reflexes, muscle memory, and mind games. If I was expecting it to be a Pokemon game, an RPG based on team-building and customization, I should certainly expect a larger variety of tools.

They're not even calling it a fighting game though. They're calling it an action game, and they want it to be accessable, and they want people who like Pokemon to be able to casually get into it. Pokken is obviously not being made to replicate Tekken at all. You're not seeing only fighting or bipedal Pokemon. That's a fact. That's confirmed. In a "fighting" game aimed at casuals where a Pokemon like Archanine or Muk has just as good a chance of making the roster as something like Toxicroak, made by a publisher with a precident for publishing casual fighting games with huge rosters, I don't think it's unrealistic at all to think this game could do the same.

aikohualda said:

link?

ok i hope a wobbuffet.... that focuses on counter hits... and some silly accidental moves like falling and hurting the opposing pokemon more than a comical relief...

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nft9pg

"1. No
2. No
3. I don't answer about this. No comment.

RT@powerprotoman 3 questions about Pokkén 1.will it only be fully evolved Pkmn? 2.will it only be bipedal Pkmn? 3.will typing come into play?"

- @Harada_TEKKEN

spemanig said:
aikohualda said:

link?

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nft9pg

"1. No
2. No
3. I don't answer about this. No comment.

RT@powerprotoman 3 questions about Pokkén 1.will it only be fully evolved Pkmn? 2.will it only be bipedal Pkmn? 3.will typing come into play?"

- @Harada_TEKKEN

well... not all fighting types are bipedal :P

both question is canceled out by pikachu! :P

i think it will be fighting type centered....

TEKKEN characters!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!

aikohualda said:

well... not all fighting types are bipedal :P

both question is canceled out by pikachu! :P

i think it will be fighting type centered....

Nope, it won't be.

Guys, Don't worry about that. It's not only Fighting-type RT Will Pokkén Tournament's cast be limited to Fighting-type Pokémon or