By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Sony lose Japan?

Sony once ruled Japan with a iron fist.  Of course Nintendo always had the handheld market on lock, but the Playstation took the world by a storm selling 100,000,000 (estimate) consoles that the competition could only dream of selling.  With about 19,000,000 (estimate) consoles sold in Japan alone, PS couldn't be stopped and is one of the highest selling consoles of all time.

Sony's next console "Playstation 2" was a even greater success.  The PS2 sold more then the PS selling more then 150,000,000 (estimate) consoles.  Again, competition could only dream of selling that many consoles worldwide.  The PS2 sold 23,000,000 (estimate) in Japan, that's 5,000,000 more then the Playstation.  Sony ruled its home turf in the console market.

Fast forward to the Playstation 4.  The PS4 launched in Febuary in Japan. While the PS4 holds the lead and doing very well in the United States and Europe, it's falling short in Japan.  With the PS4 launch and seven months in, it currently sits at 600,000 (estimate) consoles sold.  What do you think, has Sony lost Japan to Nintendo?  I think they did.

Around the Network

I blame Sony, Nintendo, Capcom, and Square Enix for the situation in Japan. They sat there while their country casualized itself.

Don't worry, third parties will put up a fight.

How can they lose something that hasn't even started?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

They have not tried to win Japan yet.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

Around the Network

Relax, the japanese centric games haven't released yet.

Besides, ruling Japan means nothing now, as the homeconsole market there is quickly shrinking.

Not yet. The big games are still coming out for the PS3 (a perfect example is Persona 5).

Add to that the fact that Final Fantasy has had itself diluted for a long while, and...

...that makes me think 2016 will be when PS4 has a chance to overtake Wii U, Japan lifetime sales, at least.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

PigPen said:

Sony once ruled Japan with a iron fist.  Of course Nintendo always had the handheld market on lock, but the Playstation took the world by a storm selling 100,000,000 (estimate) consoles that the competition could only dream of selling.  With about 19,000,000 (estimate) consoles sold in Japan alone, PS couldn't be stopped and is one of the highest selling consoles of all time.

Sony's next console "Playstation 2" was a even greater success.  The PS2 sold more then the PS selling more then 150,000,000 (estimate) consoles.  Again, competition could only dream of selling that many consoles worldwide.  The PS2 sold 23,000,000 (estimate) in Japan, that's 5,000,000 more then the Playstation.  Sony ruled its home turf in the console market.

Fast forward to the Playstation 4.  The PS4 launched in Febuary in Japan. While the PS4 holds the lead and doing very well in the United States and Europe, it's falling short in Japan.  With the PS4 launch and seven months in, it currently sits at 600,000 (estimate) consoles sold.  What do you think, has Sony lost Japan to Nintendo?  I think they did.

PigPen...seriously you are always getting on Sony's case.

Anyway, I belive with more games the Sony base in Japan should rise with the PS4. 

Teeqoz said:
Relax, the japanese centric games haven't released yet.

Besides, ruling Japan means nothing now, as the homeconsole market there is quickly shrinking.

That wouldn't be a problem if they had games to play

There is still a lot of time for Sony and for the PS4 to win Japan, wait for games that Japanese love and it should sell much better.

Add me if u want :)