By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Nintendo convince its fans to buy 3rd party games?

A console that dual-boots with Windows. That should work perfectly.

Around the Network

It's nothing they can do. Nintendo fans just buy third party games on other platforms.

Nexus7 said:

A quote from Hiroshi Yamauchi, former President of Nintendo. 

"I've been told that Sony won over Nintendo by surrounding itself with software companies, and I will admit that situation was there in the past. However, times have changed, and it's no longer a race to see how many useless companies you can get on your side. There are many people in the industry that know nothing about games. In particular, an American company is trying to do the same thing by engulfing software houses with money, but I don't believe that will go well. It looks like they'll sell their game system next year, but we'll see the answer to that the following year," he explained."   - Hiroshi Yamauchi  cir. 2000

Wow, such arrogance deserves to be rewarded with terrible sales.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

By diversifying their own 1st/2nd party output.

If say .... Halo was a Nintendo in-house IP, I'd venture a bet that things like COD/Battlefield would probably sell better on their platforms.

Nintendo is the only big publisher that doesn't have a AAA blockbuster IP aimed specifically at older players. Konami has Metal Gear, Activision had Call of Duty, Ubi Soft has Assassin's Creed, Square-Enix has Final Fantasy/Tomb Raider, EA has Madden/Battlefield/FIFA, Take 2 has Grand Theft Auto, etc. 

The closest thing Nintendo has is Metroid, and Metroid simply isn't a big seller (really has not been for 20 years now). 

The reason third parties still keep bringing out things like LEGO, Sonic, Just Dance, Skylanders is because the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's own content is cartoony/mascot based titles or party games.

/thread

Wrong. If Nintendo made an "adult" IP it wouldn't make any difference. (Gamecube had Metroid and Eternal Darkness plus exclusive Resident Evil and Star Wars, they didn't made any difference)

3rd party publishers make adult games on Playstation not because Sony makes adult 1st party games in the first place, but simply for an historic reason; their popular series were born on PS and that's the place were they have found their audience and were they have invested since then. There's no logic reason why their audice should switch console just for the sake of a couple of good "adult" Nintendo IPs.

To get to an attach ratio at the end of the generation of ten games sold per console, there should at least be twice as many to choose from as each gamer is different.

Let's see if Nintendo can dig up enough First Party games:

Mario Kart, Mario 2D, Mario 3D, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, WarioWare, Kirby, Yoshi, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Pikmin, Mario Golf, Fire Emblem, Pilotwings, Starfox, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon, Nintendogs, Kid Icarus, Mario Tennis, Golden Sun, Mario Strikers, Art Academy, Style Savvy, Wii Party...

...and even more! That's almost 30 games just there! 

Now let's look at Sony:

Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Resistance, MotorStorm, Killzone, inFAMOUS, God of War, Ratchet & Clank.

Now let's look at MS:

Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza!

Conclusion! Nintendo is pushing away Third Party because they have too much First Party!

The attachment ratio right now is 5.5  http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
Nexus7 said:

A quote from Hiroshi Yamauchi, former President of Nintendo. 

"I've been told that Sony won over Nintendo by surrounding itself with software companies, and I will admit that situation was there in the past. However, times have changed, and it's no longer a race to see how many useless companies you can get on your side. There are many people in the industry that know nothing about games. In particular, an American company is trying to do the same thing by engulfing software houses with money, but I don't believe that will go well. It looks like they'll sell their game system next year, but we'll see the answer to that the following year," he explained."   - Hiroshi Yamauchi  cir. 2000

Wow, such arrogance deserves to be rewarded with terrible sales.

Execpt this guy left the company 10 years ago, and he had nothing to do with the WiiU and most likely even with the Wii.

kinisking said:
Fusioncode said:
spurgeonryan said:
When we get exclusives or ports that are actually cool we buy them. But if its late, or a lame version or has problems or anything else then screw em' it seems.

Example. We got AC 3, but it is not considered one of the best ones. By the time IV came out WiiU approval ratings of Wii U was at really low levels so it was just released at a bad time. BO 2 was released well after it was on other consoles, then we got ghosts which many did not like. Mass Effect 3 skipped the other two and was a late port.

See a trend? And I am not saying they will sell as much as tbe others, but like CoD on Wii, it would be decent.
Look at Resident Evil on GC. We got the love and we bought it!
Look at various third party games on 3DS. We put out the money. KH is one of the best selling ever. MH one of best selling ever. I think Rayman Legends sold more on Wii U even.

Don't screw us over and we'll buy the stuff! Do we get the cool games like gta? Or what about Watch Dogs on time? No. And sales will suffer. We may not spend as much, but it will be worth it if we aren't be played I feel. Buy the time Watch Dogs comes out most will break down and play it somewhere else....oh look...another failure.

Then explain why nobody bought ACIV? It was a great game, released at the same time as the 360 and PS3 versions, hell it released well before the PS4 and XBO versions, yet it still sold incredibly poorly.

I think he already explained it 

No he didn't. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

freebs2 said:

Execpt this guy left the company 10 years ago, and he had nothing to do with the WiiU and most likely even with the Wii.

Yamauchi was President of Nintendo until 2005. That means he had a lot to do with green lighting the original Wii and adopting the blue ocean strategy. 

The philophies at Nintendo did not change once Iwata took control. Iwata believes in the traditional views original set by Yamauchi.  

Soundwave said:

By diversifying their own 1st/2nd party output.

If say .... Halo was a Nintendo in-house IP, I'd venture a bet that things like COD/Battlefield would probably sell better on their platforms.

Nintendo is the only big publisher that doesn't have a AAA blockbuster IP aimed specifically at older players. Konami has Metal Gear, Activision had Call of Duty, Ubi Soft has Assassin's Creed, Square-Enix has Final Fantasy/Tomb Raider, EA has Madden/Battlefield/FIFA, Take 2 has Grand Theft Auto, etc. 

The closest thing Nintendo has is Metroid, and Metroid simply isn't a big seller (really has not been for 20 years now). 

The reason third parties still keep bringing out things like LEGO, Sonic, Just Dance, Skylanders is because the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's own content is cartoony/mascot based titles or party games.

Would Nintendo fans accept something like an M-rated Shooter? Or would this be Nintendo's strategy to get new fans on the console? I do like the idea of Nintendo getting into different genres.  

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:

So in one of my earlier threads I theorized that Nintendo's main problem with 3rd party support is that their core fanbase only buys Nintendo exclusives. Which is precisely why publishers avoid the WiiU and Nintendo consoles in general. In a way Nintendo's own fans are their worst enemy. So how does Nintendo fix this? How do they get the people who only care about Mario, Zelda etc. to start buying games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. Should they release less exclusives? Get advertising and DLC deals like Sony and MS do. Go all out and purchase a major 3rd party game like Microsoft did with Tomb Raider? Imagine if the next Mass Effect or Fallout was a WiiU exclusive? 

And keep in mind I'm not attacking Nintendo fans here, I'm just stating that it's a major problem for the company if their core audience only cares about Nintendo exclusives. Nintendo needs to find a way to condition their fans to start buying other types of games. 

Thoughts? 

I think you should be attacking us, we kind of deserve it... about the question. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!, there is no way Nintendo can fix this, the only way to kind of move this in another direction is NOT to sell the console to Nintendo fans but to other group of people, which is kind of impossible.