By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 1st time

Tagged games:

JazzB1987 said:
Hynad said:
JazzB1987 said:

Dont expect to much because you were hearing so much praise (it will make you just see little flaws easier)

and dont forget its "old". It lacks hand holding compared to modern games.

Also think about the year it came out and always think stuff like (first real 3D 360° adventure game. Day night cicles were not common. First game with Z-targeting (enemy targeting) that works like in most modern games etc etc.) Know about the things this game did for gaming.

Keep those 3 things in mind and you will have a great time.

Revisionist history much? Tomb Raider says hello.

DPAD has 8 directions keyboard also has. So no 360° movement at all. TombRaider 1+2 had no analog stick support.

For what little it did to the game. But I thought you meant it was the first fully explorable 3D "open world" adventure game on console.

But your argument basically boils down to: Play it with blinders on as if you've never played a game since 1998.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
So I've finally played some more of the game.

I beated the boss in the Great Deku Tree and that was cool!

Then I got to the Hyrule Field, after getting the Ocarina, and felt great there, but seems like there have not much to explore there, maybe there will be latter or I need some itens to explore it right, but it seems just empty now.

I've come to see that the game have spots where the time pass and seems to affect the game, with monsters appearing during night and the castle being closed.

Oh yeah, I've gone to the castle... and that was not good looking in the two first screens, it have pre-rendered 2D graphics like inside the houses in your villages and that was strange, but well, the castle itself was 3D again after leaving there, and I came to talk to Zelda, learned what I need to look for and a song from Impa, cool, maybe I go back to that skull kids in the Lost Woods to try to be friends with them. They seems to like music.

Then I ended up in Impa's village and that is cool, was hunting chickens and that was fun xD but I can only get 4 of the 7 (I only found 5, but I still can't reach one), I found a house with cursed spider people and now I want to collect all that gold skulls to save them (not because they said I would be rich if I did ), and one millhouse with strange man in there and a piece of heart that I can't reach yet (found one in a cell with a cow too but seems like I will need to get all the chickens for it, or something else), then I came again but now I waited to night to come to enter and there was a very strange guy sitting there cursing his mom and dad and even me =/, then I went to the graveyard and entered the dungeon that I found earlier under a grave after fight two ghost brothers and play my ocarina.

So I stopped there, I'll try to play some more. But the game is being great until now, I just wish Hyrule Field itself had more things to offer me (maybe I just didn't found it yet), but is cool being there and seeing the castle and the mountain far away, they look cool.

Hyrule Field is for some reason, always empty in every game. You want to get all the chickens. There is one in a crate next to the stairs that lead up to the mountain, it has one in it. There is one behind a fence(small place behind a gate on top of a cliff. Jump off the roof with a chicken to get to it. There is also one behind another fence you can get to the same way. You might have to let go of it at the right time. 

mZuzek said:
Clyde32 said:

Hyrule Field is for some reason, always empty in every game. You want to get all the chickens. There is one in a crate next to the stairs that lead up to the mountain, it has one in it. There is one behind a fence(small place behind a gate on top of a cliff. Jump off the roof with a chicken to get to it. There is also one behind another fence you can get to the same way. You might have to let go of it at the right time. 

Yeah, it's the curse of the games with Hyrule Field.

Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field: big truckload of nothing
Twilight Princess's Hyrule Field: even bigger truckload of nothing
Zelda Wii U's Hyrule Field: we don't know if it will be empty, but it's definitely even bigger than TP... so it could be a gigantic truckload of nothing.

Skyward Sword was a small truckload of nothing. It had more than Twilight Princess, but that isn't saying much. 

Wind Waker was a big load of everything. 

mZuzek said:
Clyde32 said:

Skyward Sword was a small truckload of nothing. It had more than Twilight Princess, but that isn't saying much. 

Wind Waker was a big load of everything. 

Wind Waker was a big load of nothing too.

Yeah, didn't even come to think about that. The DS Zelda games also have big loads of nothing kinds of overworld.

I really hope they fix that in Zelda Wii U. The only 3D Zelda game that so far has managed to have an interesting overworld was Majora's Mask.

Majora's Mask had an interesting world overall. 

OOT is my favorite so far, but I haven't played Skyward Sword or any of the DS/3DS games.

I am starting Skyward Sword for the 1st time this week.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
Hynad said:
JazzB1987 said:
Hynad said:
JazzB1987 said:

DPAD has 8 directions keyboard also has. So no 360° movement at all. TombRaider 1+2 had no analog stick support.

For what little it did to the game. But I thought you meant it was the first fully explorable 3D "open world" adventure game on console.

But your argument basically boils down to: Play it with blinders on as if you've never played a game since 1998.

Thats exactly what I ment. 
You should always do this when you play retro games that you never played before.  When you expect hand holding in old games, widescreen, online multiplayer or anything that was introduced after the game you want to play was released chances are you will get disappointed.

I also always tell people to expect the worst when playing an overhyped game or a hype-deserving game because when they hear something like "Xenoblade best rpg ever" their minds go crazy and they expect nonsense and then are destined to be disappointed to some extend.

I never played any Xeno game I just played BatenKaitos (I hate cards so I disliked that game) and I played Disaster Day of Crisis (didnt like that either) but I gave Xenoblade a shot and its by far my most favorite game of last gen. Btw I own PS3 360 and Wii and have 99% of all the systems exclusives.

I have to remind mysef to not expect anything from Xenoblade WiIU. its not too hard tho since the game looks strange imo.

Faces look like crap
 =
and the grey/brown realism style doesnt work at all. The game lacks color! I mean I want gras not hay... but enough of that :)

For its time Ocarina of Time was an absolute game of wonder (back then there werent any games that gave you the freedom to explore a large (for the time) landscape).

Till this day it still holds as an enjoyable experience. That is the mark of truly good games. Not the things that get hyped to hell nowadays because of graphics and get boring after an hour.

I dunno wich version you are playing but the 3DS version is the best one. It has some areas that were a bit off redesigned (like the 2D town).

JazzB1987 said:

You should always do this when you play retro games that you never played before.  When you expect hand holding in old games, widescreen, online multiplayer or anything that was introduced after the game you want to play was released chances are you will get disappointed.

I also always tell people to expect the worst when playing an overhyped game or a hype-deserving game because when they hear something like "Xenoblade best rpg ever" their minds go crazy and they expect nonsense and then are destined to be disappointed to some extend.

I never played any Xeno game I just played BatenKaitos (I hate cards so I disliked that game) and I played Disaster Day of Crisis (didnt like that either) but I gave Xenoblade a shot and its by far my most favorite game of last gen. Btw I own PS3 360 and Wii and have 99% of all the systems exclusives.

I have to remind mysef to not expect anything from Xenoblade WiIU. its not too hard tho since the game looks strange imo.

Faces look like crap
 =
and the grey/brown realism style doesnt work at all. The game lacks color! I mean I want gras not hay... but enough of that :)

Are you sure you played Xenobalde? Because the faces on that game are atrocious. You still seemed to enjoy it alot from what you said though. :)

I really dont see what the problem is with the faces though. They look fine to me. About as good as a Tales game if not better.

As for the color. Wasnt the first area in Xenoblade also the same exact pallete? Seeing what they did with the first game, i am sure the whole game wont look like that on every area. There will be variety in the envyronments.

Have more faith man. This is the team that made Xenoblade and you are already prepared to run them down just cause they are making another one.

JazzB1987 said:

Faces look like crap
 =

First area in the first game was like that too. Then you had stuff like this. 

and this

And then Jizz_beard was like this. 

this thread wow lots of posts for a game that is really slow imo

HaloReach2014 said:
this thread wow lots of posts for a game that is really slow imo

It's in glasses-free 3D + surround sound + true Panarama view for the sling shot, now.

3DS & New 3DS rule in gaming experience.