By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So it turns out the PS4 does have software authentication...

The simple fact that the center of the ds4 analogs are basically bubbled out ruin the controller as a whole. I personally think the 360 Controller analogs on the xb1 control would be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Around the Network

I don't get this thread, why is it so long?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

deskpro2k3 said:

Wait a second. Controllers are considered software? And all this time I thought it was hardware.

No but they do use software to run them .The xb1 routinely has controller updates through the USB chord.

method114 said:
I've been gaming since I was seven years old with Nintendo. I'd never understood this obsession with controllers. I've played every single console that's come out since the Nintendo (my cousin somehow got them all) and not once did we ever say "man these controllers suck". Sega Saturn, 3DO, Neo Geo, N64, PSX, etc. It wasn't until last gen that I started seeing these complaints about controllers it's real weird to me.

I'm similar to you, i've been gaming since PS1 and i've played every console thats released since and i've never hated one, i didn't like the N64 controller though :D

snooter515 said:
Jimbo1337 said:
snooter515 said:
So...if you want to play with an Xbox Controller you might be playing on the wrong console my friend...besides the DS4 being a much better controller the Xbox controller is meant for the Xbox. Earlier you called this DRM which I see you got in trouble for since you changed the name but really..use the Xbox control on an Xbox...I don't see why it's considered a bad thing that Sony doesn't want their main competitors controller on their console

Your post makes too much sense.  He wont understand logic...

I know! Sometimes I'm afraid to make sense on this site cause if you make sense and it doesn't coincide with what a poster or mod think then you are instantly banned

It is funny how his original post included "DRM" in the title to try and make Sony and the PS4 look as bad as possible.  

What is even more hilarious is his constant bashing of the DS4 alongside the utmost praise of the XB360/XB1 controller, which has NOTHING to do with the original topic.

Around the Network
overman1 said:
Funny how there is no thread about nintendo allowing the Xbox controllers or the Dualshocks on its systems. But Sony gets this nick picking crap. Also, isn't the DS4 more compatible with most PC rigs than the XB1 controllers?

This isn't about a console manufacturer not supporting other controllers, none of them do that natively ovbviously. As far as I can tell sony is the only one that has gone above and beyond to actively prevent the use of adapters that I very much enjoyed last gen. 

And the xbox 360 controllers are more compatible with pc's than any other controller.

wilco said:
overman1 said:
Funny how there is no thread about nintendo allowing the Xbox controllers or the Dualshocks on its systems. But Sony gets this nick picking crap. Also, isn't the DS4 more compatible with most PC rigs than the XB1 controllers?

This isn't about a console manufacturer not supporting other controllers, none of them do that natively ovbviously. As far as I can tell sony is the only one that has gone above and beyond to actively prevent the use of adapters that I very much enjoyed last gen. 

And the xbox 360 controllers are more compatible with pc's than any other controller.

I am talking about the Xbox 1 and the DS4 compatiblity with the PC. DS4 is more compatible with PC than the XBox 1's controller. Maybe until an update.

You can use the PS3 controller & the 360-PC & any PC controller via bluetooth.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I simply cannot believe a thread made by someone who cannot figure out:
a) how to use a particular controller
b) what DRM is

...managed to get so many responses.

OT: I have come to learn that my Toyota has DRM. It refuses to work when I pour Diesel in it, it only works with unleaded gasoline. Damn anti-consumer practices...

wilco said:
steverhcp02 said:
Wouldn't this be a hardware authentication? Unless you don't hold the controller. I think the TC needs another edit but then it would be less "controversial". Oh the decisions.

How can hardware authenticate? Hardware can't do anything unless software is written that tells it what to do. The communication between the system and the controller is all software. 

Anyone who thinks the title is controversial is really overreacting.

Well yeah but software authentication is tied to the hardware not the software itself. Thats like saying "okay the software is authenticated: success" and then your controller disintegrates. Sure your software is authenticated but if you dont have the hardware its pointless. The thread should be titled "So it turns out the PS4 doesnt allow unlicensed controller" because thats all it is. Software authentication tied to hardware is synonymous with the hardware not the software its running. They arent mutually exclusive. The process of authentication requires software because it in fact is a code but the hardware is what is being authenticated using the code, not the software required to authenticate.

If you truly don't see the underlying subtle point of this thread you're purposefully being obtuse. You construct many complete sentences and argue your point well even if it is not agreed upon by 95% of rational members of this community so I know you understand how to read between the lines of "so it turns out the ps4 does have software authentication"

So please stop ruining the reputation of one of my favorite bands, go buy a Xbox One and stop with this ridiculous ranting about using unlicensed peripherals on the PS4.