By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November Update!!!! Under 3m - Predict: Xbox One will sell more in the US than WiiU will Worldwide

DerNebel said:
Michael-5 said:

How can this be when WiiU outsells XB1 worldwide?

Sure your graph for the first 9 weeks shows XB1 catching up, but since Mario Kart 8 the gap has been growing.....

Also who cares if XB1 started strong all that means is that it could fall flat on its face.

We're talking about a difference of 170k since the release of MK8 according to Vgchartz here, that's nothing. That's a number that can easily be eradicated by one holiday week, hell, who knows maybe the Tier 2 launch will be enough to reduce all the headway the Wii U has made in the last 2 months back to nothing.

Nintendo typically benefits more then XB during the holidays.

170k is nothing, but the pattern is important. XB1 sales have been dropping every week since launch, where PS4 has leveled out at about 120k weekly and WiiU has actually grown n 2014 by 100% to 60k+, and stabilize there. This was so bad that Microsoft even released a Kinect-free XB1 model, a feature critical to the playability for XB1 was removed for sale, and yet nothing more then a temporary flare was achieved.

With very little on XB1's radar, and Nintendo winning E3 according to the user poll on IGN, the way I see it is Nintendo will be selling better and better where XB1 will be selling worse and worse.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

I agree seece

Going to stick to my guns and just give a big nope. I still think the Wii U will take second place this gen if Nintendo is smart with how they handle their games from here on out.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

I'm going to give the OP a big no. That said, the X1 worldwide can outsell the Wii U worldwide IF MS provides a steady stream of exclusives that are unique and high quality enough to grab more sales. However, as of now, Nintendo greatly trumps MS in this department. Some of the Wii U's upcoming exclusives are Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash, Zelda U, Hyrule Warriors (already out in Japan and did decently), and Splatoon. There's also an upcoming Pokemon announcement for the Wii U, as well. Nintendo also has other franchises like Kirby, Metroid, and Animal Crossing to rely on.

It's not that hard for Nintendo to differentiate its product from MS and Sony's. The Wii U easily makes a much better 2nd console after the PS4 and it's also cheaper. MS needs to put in a lot of work to convince consumers that the X1 is not merely a weaker version of PS4 that plays inferior multiplats and that it has a bunch of unique experiences exclusive to that platform.

Soundwave said:

The original XBox (2001) sold 16 million units in North America, and lets keep in mind MS pulled the plug on this system prematurely to launch the 360.

I think it's quite possible the XBox One outsells the XBox in North America, especially if it has a full five year life cycle.

The Wii U right now is trending a fair amount below the GameCube, which finished with 22 mill LTD. So no, the OP's assesment really isn't that far off.

If the X1 outsells the XBox (2001) in North America and the Wii U continues to sell below the GameCube ... it's very likely actually that the X1's North American sales will eclipse Nintendo's sales.

Nintendo is a great company, but the appeal of a Nintendo home console without a breakthrough gimmick like a Wiimote that brings in tons of new gamers is simply quite limited. MS has much wider appeal simply because they have much broader developer support, they're not dependant on just one company's games. 

People don't want a niche library console, even if some of the games are truly great ... they want a console that plays a really wide variety of games from many devs, this has even been true of successful Nintendo consoles (the NES and SNES). They had more overall content than the competetion. 

People < Speak for self

I always had a Nintendo since the NES.  I like my Wii U so much that I'm not going the XOne route like I did with the Wii360.  What people want or don't want, speak for yourself.

Edit:  Wii U is outselling the Xbox One as of now.

Around the Network
PigPen said:
Soundwave said:

The original XBox (2001) sold 16 million units in North America, and lets keep in mind MS pulled the plug on this system prematurely to launch the 360.

I think it's quite possible the XBox One outsells the XBox in North America, especially if it has a full five year life cycle.

The Wii U right now is trending a fair amount below the GameCube, which finished with 22 mill LTD. So no, the OP's assesment really isn't that far off.

If the X1 outsells the XBox (2001) in North America and the Wii U continues to sell below the GameCube ... it's very likely actually that the X1's North American sales will eclipse Nintendo's sales.

Nintendo is a great company, but the appeal of a Nintendo home console without a breakthrough gimmick like a Wiimote that brings in tons of new gamers is simply quite limited. MS has much wider appeal simply because they have much broader developer support, they're not dependant on just one company's games. 

People don't want a niche library console, even if some of the games are truly great ... they want a console that plays a really wide variety of games from many devs, this has even been true of successful Nintendo consoles (the NES and SNES). They had more overall content than the competetion. 

People < Speak for self

I always had a Nintendo since the NES.  I like my Wii U so much that I'm not going the XOne route like I did with the Wii360.  What people want or don't want, speak for yourself.

Edit:  Wii U is outselling the Xbox One as of now.

Have fun missing out on a variety of games, just saying....

The Wii U is not outselling the XB1.

First of all, VGC weekly numbers aren't gospel, there's a reason they get constantly adjusted and the accuracy in Europe is likely fairly suspect.

What we do know is where the Wii U was LTD this time last year, and the XB1 is ahead of the Wii U's pace. Comfortably at that. For the same time period from launch, the X1 has sold more units. 

Logically, I think most people will concede even if the X1 sells no where close to the 360, it will still likely outsell the original XBox. That sold 16 million units in NA in about 4 years time. Had MS allowed it to start on store shelves for a proper 5-6 years, it likely would've finished at about 20 million in North America ... I don't think anyone here would dispute any of that.

The GameCube finished with 22 million LTD worldwide. And the Wii U is trending below the GameCube, even with MK8 for example in the US, the month's of June + July 2003 (GameCube) are higher than the Wii U with the Mario Kart 8 bump (June + July 2014). And there was no big GameCube release for this period ... that means the Wii U can't even beat the GameCube when it has Mario Kart 8 even against the corresponding time frame for the GCN.

It's very, very likely the Wii U finishes below the GameCube, right now it's selling about 40% under the GCN and the gap is actually not narrowing. 

The op has one flaw: US xb one sales will account for a larger proportion of xb one sales than any previous console ever. While Wii U will have a more even global distribution of sales. And I think Japan will prevent the prediction from happening. But it think it's quite fascinating that the possibility of it happening exists to the extent that it can't be dismissed out of hand.

Unless of course this is another globally in the USA thread.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I also think you have to reflect on the fact that in the first year or so people were predicting max PS3 sales globally would be only 20 million; death spiral and all that. So comparing ps3 first year to xb one and coming up with 25 million lifetime US is not good analysis.

I don't see Xb one either having an equivalent of the PS3's 2009 slim/price cut effect, nor do I see it being on the market for as long. I give Xb one 5 years on the market as the current gen xbox and it will not sell more than 20 million in the USA in that time. The reason I say this is not because Xb one will sell poorly in the USA, but because the only place it will sell well is the USA and that won't be sustainable beyond 5 years.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

i wouldnt really call being 1.8m behind and being outsold weekly worldwide has having anything on "lock", just selling more in the US along is current a snails pace process.