By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 outselling Xbox One 3:1 in 2014

2015 will be even better for PS4.

Around the Network
Xevross said:
prinz_valium said:

so the titanfall bundle sold bad? comeon

and it sill was a 499 dollar bundle

the kinectless sku was about 55% of the june npd xb1 sales (without a free game)

and at the end of august we get this 399 bundle including a free game.

this is better value and more options

NPD showed weekly average fell for xbox 1 in march compared to february, so the TF bundle hasn't done very well at all and its had its full effect during hte time PS4 has been 3:1 so it has done nothing against PS4. Yes Kinectless bundle was 55% and increased XB1 sales for the month but still have put the XB1 in no better position compared to PS4, the ration is still more than 2:1 and closer to 3:1 WW (after PS4 adjustments), so the kinectless did nothing. We are yet to see how well the 399 bundle does but its not pre ordering well right now

and without that titanfall bundle the weekly average fell would be massive bigger. or would u denie that?

so the bundle caused a bump

january xb1 sales: 142k (4 weeks)

february xb1 sales: 258k (4 weeks)

march xb1 sales : 311k (5 weeks - 2k units drop per week form february --> 3,2% drop from previous month - wow)

april xb1 sales: 115k (4 weeks)

may xb1 sales:  77k (4 weeks - 2 tracked weeks with the new announced sku)

june xb1 sales: 197k (5 weeks, only 4 including both sku - 10k units bump per week from april --> 33,5% bump from april  )

july xb1 sales: 131k (4 weeks)

xb1 june to july drop = 26,5k units (~5,05k units a week --> 13,5% drop from previous month)

ps4 june to july drop (including tlofu sales bump) = 28k units (~5,1k units a week --> 10,5% drop from previous month)

so that is how u explain the kinectless sku failed to move units? becaus it dropped in a month, where all other dropped too. even they had a big exclusiv launch?

and we can clearly see. there was no february / march bump. why dropped april sp badly if the titanfall bundle didnt sell well?

Ninsect said:

With PS4 selling around 4.2m in 2013 and reaching over 10m just a few days ago, we can safely say that PS4 has sold around 5.8m in 2014.

VGC data says Xbox One has sold ~2m in 2014.

5.8/2 = 2.9 which means PS4 has outsold Xbox One 2.9:1 in 2014 or around 3:1 if we round up for simplicity

Is this something that will continue? Something you expected back in 2013? Something you never dreamed of? 

This is nothing surprising and EXACTLY what I have been expecting. For more and detailed analysis see my signature posts.

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates - on 31 August 2013

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles and Analysis of the Market - on 14 February 2014

2014 End Sales Estimates, more convincing than ever - on 05 August 2014

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

And it'll continue. People putting too much faith in MCC, it's gonna be TF all over again. After MCC comes out, it won't give it a long term boost and everyone will retroactively state how they never hyped it up and move on to " wait till Halo 5"

AZWification said:
Ninsect said:

I don't see why not. It has everything going for it, including the low price of the PS2.

I don't even see the PS4 lasting as much as the PS2! :S

Doesn't need to. Like I said, the PS2 ratio was like 6-7:1. I'm expecting 3-4:1 for PS4 vs. One.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
gcube2000 said:

for one PS4 won't last 13 years. secondly, PS4 will probably sell about what the Wii sold. I think both Xbox One and Wii U will sell more than people think. Both +30million. Wii U will pass GameCube. I made a prediction of Wii U about 25 million but I actually believe It will do N64 numbers. Xbox One will sell about the same as Wii U, better or worse.

Out of the big 3 in generation 6, heres the attach rates.

Playstation 2- 77%

Xbox- 12%

GameCube- 11%

Heres what generation 8 will probably be like.

Playstation 4- 60%

Wii U- 20%

Xbox One- 20%

so no it won't be complete dominance

Since when is 60% marketshare not domination? That's 3:1 vs. both Xbox One and WiiU and 1.5:1 vs. them combined...

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

true_fan said:

Seeling like crazy huh? Maybe if certain people bought more games Sucker Punch wouldn't be facing mass layoffs, but I digress. You guys have more faith in driveclub than sony does, they barely have even showed the game, we have mainly been looking at gifs.

We've seen a ridiculous amount of in game footage for Driveclub ... where have you been? You do know where those gifs come from I assume. I know exactly what MisterXmedia has been saying about Driveclub and clearly you're hoping it's true. Unfortunately what we've been shown so far isn't CGI or replay mode, it's actually in game. You need to stop visiting that site.

The PS5 Exists. 

It's logic to think X1 will sell 40M and PS4 around 120M

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

prinz_valium said:

and without that titanfall bundle the weekly average fell would be massive bigger. or would u denie that?

so the bundle caused a bump

january xb1 sales: 142k (4 weeks)

february xb1 sales: 258k (4 weeks)

march xb1 sales : 311k (5 weeks - 2k units drop per week form february --> 3,2% drop from previous month - wow)

april xb1 sales: 115k (4 weeks)

may xb1 sales:  77k (4 weeks - 2 tracked weeks with the new announced sku)

june xb1 sales: 197k (5 weeks, only 4 including both sku - 10k units bump per week from april --> 33,5% bump from april  )

july xb1 sales: 131k (4 weeks)

xb1 june to july drop = 26,5k units (~5,05k units a week --> 13,5% drop from previous month)

ps4 june to july drop (including tlofu sales bump) = 28k units (~5,1k units a week --> 10,5% drop from previous month)

so that is how u explain the kinectless sku failed to move units? becaus it dropped in a month, where all other dropped too. even they had a big exclusiv launch?

and we can clearly see. there was no february / march bump. why dropped april sp badly if the titanfall bundle didnt sell well?

I never said anything failed to move units. I said they failed relative to what PS4 is doing, yes TF gave a small boost but it wasn't sustained and till the Xb1 could not top PS4. The kinectless sku definitely moved units, hence the massive boost in June but again, it couldn't help Xb1 match PS4 and the weekly ratio is back getting close to 3:1 even after both of those have happened. Sure, without them XB1 would be in an even worse place but in the long term they have done nothing, XB1 sales are back to the lows of the pre kinectless announcement. I'm saying that these bundles in the future will of course help but it won't stop PS4 outselling XB1 by a good ratio

Aerys said:
It's logic to think X1 will sell 40M and PS4 around 120M

That is about what I'm thinking as well.