By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until the Wii catches the 360 in WW sales?

mrstickball said:
Madden 07 moved quite a bit of units. It was languishing in the 250k area for months, then in August, moved around 350k units combined with DR. If there was a price drop before Halo, I would assume a few people would start buying if there were games (Mass Effect) that former Xbox owners would like.

Mass Effect won't move many systems.  Despite being one of the greatest and most critically acclaimed RPGs of all time Knights of the Old Republic sold a relatively measly 1.95 million copies over its lifespan.  According this site Jade Empire didn't even sell 1 million.  Mass Effect will probably sell 2 million at the most, about as many as Call of Duty 2 sold.  It's nothing like Halo 3 which will sell at least 10-12 million copies in the next five years and probably has more pre-orders than Mass Effect will sell total. 

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Madden 07 moved quite a bit of units. It was languishing in the 250k area for months, then in August, moved around 350k units combined with DR.

I guess the point was people crazy enough about Madden to buy a console just for it already bought it last year. Plus, this year Madden 360 will have dfirect competition on Madden PS3 and Wii on release. I think this will be the first real test for the Madden Wii series, as people who buy these yearly franchises buy them early, not 3 months out.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Yeah, Kruze, that was my point. ANOTHER Madden won't move many systems. :)

Forza should move a few units for the 360. Over the summer, so should Blue Dragon and Mass Effect. I think it will be enough to hold off Nintendo until Halo and GTA are released. I think the Wii will pass the 360 late in the year (December or so) or early next year (January or February).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

you never know EA may just release a killer Madden for the Wii - building on the very innovative controls for their launch port. 

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network

Since Golden Week, the weekly Japan Wii numbers have been up 25-30K/week. That tells me they just started implementing their supply boost. Starting this month, we should see Wii cutting the 360's lead even faster... I think late July isn't yet out of the question, but that won't be clear until we've seen at least a month's worth of sales at the new production rate. What worries me is the holidays... Wii is going to sell out again, but 360 is going to have a lot more available stock. Will Nintendo get some sort of temporary contract going with someone to boost production only for the Q4 period? If they don't, Microsoft can easily take back the lead in December.

fishamaphone said:
Since Golden Week, the weekly Japan Wii numbers have been up 25-30K/week. That tells me they just started implementing their supply boost. Starting this month, we should see Wii cutting the 360's lead even faster... I think late July isn't yet out of the question, but that won't be clear until we've seen at least a month's worth of sales at the new production rate. What worries me is the holidays... Wii is going to sell out again, but 360 is going to have a lot more available stock. Will Nintendo get some sort of temporary contract going with someone to boost production only for the Q4 period? If they don't, Microsoft can easily take back the lead in December.

I think Nintendo is aware of that holiday problem and they are probably already stockpiling. And if the wii keeps selling out they will up production once more before holiday i expect.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Do we know for sure that Nintendo is stockpiling Wii's. Is this an attack strategy? I think I will get a Wii once they release the system with wireless nunchucks.

Um, the nunchuck comes with the Wii now.

Also catching the 360 in the first year would create so much buzz and give the Wii momemtum into 2008. I wonder if I should buy my Wii now cause as the Christmas season approaches it might get more difficult. I had a chance the other day.