By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Best Article Evar

Everyone know that the magicians at Naughty Dog provided a lot of spells that Sony could use on the PS4 boasting awareness and sales through magic. Only logical theory

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Around the Network

OK, but Hype does not just materialize out of thin air, people built that image of the gamer's console, made for games first and foremost (you see it in the kind of formware updates Sony has made so far, games/games sharing featues come first, for better or for worst).

Then you have all multi-platform titles that are essentially better experienced on the PS4 (or at the very least, equally good on the PS4).

Then, wether you like it or not, the platform exclusives on the PS4 are pretty good, I would say at least as good the their xb1 counterpart, except we do not have any racing game like Forza 5... Now race car simulations are not for everybody.

DrDoomz said:
VanceIX said:
thismeintiel said:

LMAO at those saying hype. Hype doesn't last for almost a year (though I know you'll still be using the hype excuse for a year+.) If it was truly just hype, people would be disappointed within a couple of months, then switch to another console, the one you THINK is better. No, the reason the PS4 is selling so well is because of the PS brand and how it delivers each gen. It also helps that the PS4 is the most powerful console this gen and launched at a good price.

So you say the PS brand helps sell the console...

That's essentially hype. 

Just look at the iPhone. Going strong with 9 iterations, and each one is sold almost completely on hype.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it shows that the brand has earned the trust of the consumers. But it's still hype.

No, that would be "branding".

THIS would be "hyping":

hype

1 Extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion:

"his first album hit the stores amid a storm of hype"

1.1 A deception carried out for the sake of publicity:

"is his comeback a hype?"

VERB

Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits:

"an industry quick to hype its products"

"they were hyping up a new anti-poverty idea"

Origin

1920s (originally US in the sense 'short-change, cheat', or 'person who cheats etc.'): of unknown origin.

source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/hype

verb (used with object), hyped, hyping.

1. to stimulate, excite, or agitate (usually followed by up):

She was hyped up at the thought of owning her own car.

There ya go. straght from dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hype

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
DrDoomz said:
VanceIX said:

So you say the PS brand helps sell the console...

That's essentially hype. 

Just look at the iPhone. Going strong with 9 iterations, and each one is sold almost completely on hype.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it shows that the brand has earned the trust of the consumers. But it's still hype.

No, that would be "branding".

THIS would be "hyping":

hype

1 Extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion:

"his first album hit the stores amid a storm of hype"

1.1 A deception carried out for the sake of publicity:

"is his comeback a hype?"

VERB

Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits:

"an industry quick to hype its products"

"they were hyping up a new anti-poverty idea"

Origin

1920s (originally US in the sense 'short-change, cheat', or 'person who cheats etc.'): of unknown origin.

source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/hype

So what you're saying is that the PS brand actively stimulates, excite or agitate ppl? Curious. Must be some sort of tickle magic attached to the PS brand. Is the "PS" in front of the console some sort of celtic rune that does that constantly to ppl?

No wonder it sells.

curl-6 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
curl-6 said:
Anfebious said:

It's selling based on hype.

This, plus Nintendo and Microsoft idiotically sabotaging themselves.

All Sony had to do was not fuck up epically and win by default.

Call me a hater, but I do find it a bit concerning, that gamers have reached the point where we will pay out the wazoo on the vague promise of "greatness awaits" and shinier versions of last gen games. I believe it's a result of the "preorder" culture in modern gaming; we no longer wait until the product actually delivers, we pay now for the promise of future content.

This seems to me a dangerous precedent in an industry that increasingly abuses such trust and tries to milk consumers of every nickel and dime they can.

Isn't this the case every generation though?

PS3 fucked up last gen, Gamecube fucked up the gen before, Dreamcast fucked up before then, Saturn (I think it was Saturn fcked up for then), then a Atari fcked up.

Didn't the Wii sell off of hype, didn't the PS2 sell off of hype, the ps1, SNES, NES, etc...

Not every gen; Genesis didn't fuck up in the 4th gen, and 360/PS3 recovered from their growing pains in the 7th. As a result, those gens had healthy competition.

The winning system always has hype, yes. But in my humble opinion, the hype has never been this unfounded.

I really don't mean this as bashing; but there's really no way I can say this without sounding like I'm "hating". It's just that the message that PS4's sales explosions sends the industry is a worrying one in my view. It says we as an audience are okay with game droughts and schedules padded out with last gen ports, and that all we want from our "next gen" system is the same games, just shinier.

I just don't get how the Wii U and XB1 fcking up is such a big deal, cause the PS3 turned around after 5 or more years? Why are we calling it after 6 months this gen.

As for game droughts, this isn't exactly a new thing, it also happens every generation more or less, the Wii U was carrying in the games department cause it was on its second year but without 3rd parties it didn't do a good job. And frankly the indies and remakes we got for this drought is more than we usually get during a drought which is a whole lot of nothing. Droughts aren't new:

and the only reason gamers are complaining about the drought and remake is cause there is nothing to complain about. Before this it was indies, then it was Microtransactions, then it was Ondisc DLC, then it was Season Passes, etc.

This is the best "drought" we've had in ages

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
VanceIX said:

Reading back, I think I was being too subtle with my joke earlier so let me be blunt:

You just described the effects of a long term marketing strategy such as branding (yes, specifically using the word "brand", too) as a form of "hype" (a short term marketing tactic).

And that you're using the dictionary verb use of the word "hype" in order to describe the marketing tactic and phenomenon being attributed to the sale of the playstation 4. You might as well use the verb use of "console" (to comfort someone at a time of grief or disappointment) to describe the PS4 console. The sad part is that simply scrolled down a little, the correct definition/use of the word is just right at the bottom of the very page you linked. (2. intensive or exaggerated publicity or sales promotion).

This is indicative of your poor grasp of marketing in general and the selective reading needed for you to make sense of your arguments in your own head. Please at least learn the basic terminologies next time, it would really help prevent misunderstandings in the future.

DrDoomz said:
VanceIX said:

So what you're saying is that the PS brand actively stimulates, excite or agitate ppl? Curious. Must be some sort of tickle magic attached to the PS brand. Is the "PS" in front of the console some sort of celtic rune that does that constantly to ppl?

No wonder it sells.

People are excited for Playstation products. Hence, they are hyped.

I'm not sure where the problem is here.

Had no idea that hype was able to last well over a year. Interdasting.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

VanceIX said:
DrDoomz said:
VanceIX said:

No wonder it sells.

People are excited for Playstation products. Hence, they are hyped.

I'm not sure where the problem is here.

Other than you tossing around a word that you don't really know about in the context you used it in?

Not much really.

Ohhhh lordy....

DrDoomz said:

Other than you tossing around a word that you don't really know about in the context you used it in?

Not much really.

Ohhhh lordy....

mmk