By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Why aren't there any female users on this site anymore?

padib said:
Ka-pi96 said:
amp316 said:
Long story short. It was all because of a joke that Galaki made about PMS when a female (I think that it was Marucha) typed PMs in a thread title. It wasn't an offensive joke at all but she flew off of the handle, told off all of the mods because nothing was done, took off with some of her female friends, and created her own site called VGirlz which ironically doesn't allow men (not that that's sexist or anything).

So basically it's all Galaki's fault.

A joke like that wasn't needed though and probably should have been moderated, then by the looks of it her thread about how sexist VGC was was treated as a bit of a joke. It really isn't surprising that she and other users left. I hope the mods are now better at dealing with sexism, although to be fair there isn't that much of it now so it's hard to tell if they deal with it well or not.

She totally went overboard even though she was right. And many people told her that in that thread she made. She just took the wrong approach to a real problem, and it made the matter worse because people now had a reason to dismiss a legitimate problem.

She fucked up.

This.

Unfortunately Galaki's joke was not the best example to use to highlight what was perceived to be a valid issue at the time; it only served to weaken her argument and open it up to ridicule. The responses in that thread are divided as a result. Later on in the thread, she went even further by demanding that moderators should clean up and delete offensive posts - a method that has been tried with undesirable results in the past, so I understand. Having moderated a gaming forum for a few years about a decade ago, the backlashes I've seen against that kind of moderation have escalated to the point where Godwin's law has come into play.

The best post I came across in Marucha's thread is this:

Kantor said:
Alright, I'm going to be direct here.

Galaki's post was not offensive. Galaki's post did not break the rules. Galaki's post was a pun based on your thread title. If you do see anything that offens you, by all means report it. If it's moderatable, it will be moderated. If it isn't, then it won't, and you need to accept that although it was offensive to you, we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.

I'm going to try to put this as nicely as possible, so I apologise if it still seems a little bit harsh. But we are not here to deal with people being offended. That's far too subjective. We are here to maintain a certain level of discourse and keep this site from becoming a giant flamewar. No part of that requires the banning of jokes that certain people find offensive.

Women are more than welcome here. You, personally, are more than welcome here. But that doesn't mean that we are going to bend over backwards to do everything that every user wants us to do. That is not feasible.

Sure, it doesn't address the problem she had with sexism on the forums, but maybe if she'd approached it better and with stronger evidence of sexism going unchecked by the moderators, the focus of Kantor's response may have been different.

Around the Network

There are. If I had to guess, I'd say they're probably a small minority, but they're still here, even if they mostly lurk.

But that's pretty irrelevant because no one uses VGC as some sort of dating service and whether an opinion is coming from a woman or a man really shouldn't make a difference as it pertains to 99% of what's discussed here.

Barring the rare gender discussion thread, there really isn't any point in announcing something along the lines of "my opinion, as a woman..." because it doesn't matter. It neither further validates nor lessens a given opinion.

wait there were girls on this site once

This thread is still going?

Ka-pi96 said:
padib said:

She totally went overboard even though she was right. And many people told her that in that thread she made. She just took the wrong approach to a real problem, and it made the matter worse because people now had a reason to dismiss a legitimate problem.

She fucked up.

Yeah it does sound that way. Although it still was a legitimate problem so it's understandable so many left for their own site. The current mods seem to be much better at dealing with sexism though so that's good

You do realise that many of the current mods were on the team then, right?  

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
AZWification said:
WagnerPaiva said:
AZWification said:

I'm jealous of American gamers! They get to enjoy Doritos so damn easily!

In Brazil  all we have are those Nacho Doritos, hate those. The regular one is out of market since 2005 or so. Anyways, I hate Doritos.

Eh... I like Doritos, but they are really hard to find here in Romania!

Oh, I am sorry about that. Oh well, life is hard.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
AZWification said:

Eh... I like Doritos, but they are really hard to find here in Romania!

Oh, I am sorry about that. Oh well, life is hard.

I know! Oh well, there is nothing that can be done about it!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

daredevil.shark said:
This thread is still going?

Yes, it is about doritos now, or something.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
menx64 said:
There are no such a thing like women on the internet and everybody knows it...

Or in real life for that matter. I mean, I can see them, but they are on another dimension where I can see and hear the people, but they do not hear or see me.

well, the dimension where I come from... Is the same as yours... :(

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

because we prefer stay playing games and not writing on front of tv on fourms.

:p