By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft: Wii U Owners Don’t Buy Assassin’s Creed; More Interested in Just Dance

padib said:
fluky-nintendy said:
He's damn right.
No one buys a WiiU to play 3rd party titles, unless they're in the vein of Just Dance.

So how do you explain the 700k copies of ZombieU sold?

How do you explain the success a game like Shovel Knight is seeing?

How do you explain that JD was actually outsold by both Zombie U and Rayman Legends and doesn't show signs of improving in the next iteration on the U?

ZombiU might be the only exception. It was a bundled game and a launch game, that sure helped. Has been discounted after the first year. But except it, what other 3rd party games have proved to sell? I doubt COD or AC even make up for the costs for being ported to WiiU. 

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
padib said:
Ucell said:

700k for an exclusive, selling so much in one and a half years. Yup, that's terrible, especially since Nintendo likely didn't fund it.

What's your opinion on games like Demon's Souls or Shadow of the Colossus? Knack?

They sold terribly, but they were all funded by Sony themselves, not by a third-party publisher.

padib said:
fluky-nintendy said:
He's damn right.
No one buys a WiiU to play 3rd party titles, unless they're in the vein of Just Dance.

So how do you explain the 700k copies of ZombieU sold?

People made a mistake. They thought they were buying ZumbaU.

padib said:
Haha oh you

@Ucell. They did not sell terribly. Proof for Demon's Souls is that it got a sequel. You don't make a sequel if a game didn't do well most of the time.

You need to understand the difference between budget and sales. A game may be a smashing success at 700k or 1.5mil if the budget is low.

Knack certainly did sell terribly.

I don't really think ZombiU had a small budget, certainly not. Also, what's more relevant to the topic is the best-selling mature multiplat (as huge as AC) has sold only about 160k units. That is definitely terrible.

You guys really need to stop complaining, and buy there games. If you can't/don't want to, you should not expect them to support you.

padib said:

They know how to make money on the PSX1, they just don't know how to do it on Nintendo's home console. I'm sure someone smart will emerge, it happens every gen.

Ubisoft knows how to make money with Wii U. Low budget, family friendly products. They aren't complaining about how Rayman and Just Dance performed.

Wii U struggles to sell big budget mature stuff. That's the support going away.

You mentioned Shovel Knight. That's kind of product I would expect Nintendo fans to enjoy and it didn't need huge sales to be worthwhile on Wii U. That was a low risk game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I agree with others that there are certain 3rd party games that can succeed on the Wii U but I don't think we can really specify what kind of game that is. I woulda thought Wonderful 101 would have sold more then 250k by now but nope.

Developers are gonna make games specific to the Wii U, not unless Nintendo is funding them, so it really is a dead system for most games 3rd parties.

padib said:
Ucell said:

Knack certainly did sell terribly.

I don't really think ZombiU had a small budget, certainly not. Also, what's more relevant to the topic is the best-selling mature multiplat (as huge as AC) has sold only about 160k units. That is definitely terrible.

You guys really need to stop complaining, and buy there games. If you can't/don't want to, you should not expect them to support you.

Rayman Legends sold 360k. The point is according to your standards, that's terrible.

As I explained above, 700k could be a smashing success on a different budget, I don't think Zombi U had a small budget if at 700k it underperformed. The numbers are right in front of us, what's unclear?

There is no "you guys", that's in your mind. The point is that Rayman, AC, JD, are not selling any better one than the other. There is no logic in the numbers to conclude that "mature games don't sell on the U" and "JD sells on the U". That was just bullshit from Guillemot.

Rayman isn't exactly "mature", and I do think it was a success on Wii U, sold pretty well for a multiplat, especially compared to other versions.

Also, that Rayman game has sold over twice as well on Wii U than AC IV: BF did, despite the latter being a far more popular franchise. That certainly says something about Wii U gamers.

padib said:

I hear you for the Vita, it deserves more.

I think you're wrong about the U though. It's not up to Ninty to make money for 3rd parties, I think that is a really lame way of looking at this issue. Again, ZombiU. Sells 700k, how in the world was that not profitable? Demon's Soul sells 1.5mil, and the devs were very happy with it. What's wrong in this picture?

There is money to make on the U, and a business has every reason to look to make money where it can be made. If they are too incompetent to, I agree with you that they shouldn't try. But if they are competent, you can be sure that it's not Nintendo fans that are stopping them. The U has sold more than the Xbone, there is an audience to sell games to.

But it was only up to Nintendo to release such an underpowered console. A console that can't run multiplats the way they are designed to play. This causes Wii U ports to be worth less in the eyes of gamers and they skip this version - thus the bad sales (I'd never choose a Wii U version of a multiplat over a PS4 version, not only because of graphics, but even such a stupid thing like trophies). If Nintendo decided to go upstream, search for a niche, then they are responsible to make this whole endeavour worthwhile for their partners. Look at Ubi - what kind of a company is it? It's a company that makes AC, FarCry, Tom Clancy's, Watch Dogs, etc. Core games. If their games don't sell on a given platform, should they bend over backwards and at any cost create games that would sell on it? Or should they stick to their guns and continue releasing massive hits on PS and Xbox platforms? It's not their fault that Nintendo shaped the Nintendo gamer the way it did. It's not their fault, that AC doesn't sell on Wii U.

Every company has shaped its gamer and we all know that. Xbox crowd is mainly FPS oriented (MS did it with Halo and CoD deals). PS crowd is more varied in taste, more TPP and jRPG fans here (Sony did it releasing many different games covering different genres and getting the most jRPGs in the past). Wii crowd is people playing cartoony games (Nintendo did this releasing pretty much only casual and cartoony games). If anyone is to fight to try and change its image and its gamer, it's the company itself, not 3rd parties.

Nintendo made two massive mistakes. One - Wii U is too underpowered. Two - they have neglected the mature franchises. And they are too stubborn to realize this. The best selling Zelda games are the mature ones. Still, the next one remains kinda cartoony (though bearable). People are voting with their wallets to get a mature Zelda, yet Nintendo doesn't get the message. If they keep neglecting mature gamers, don't release mature games, 3rd parties won't be giving them any, cause people who were interested in such content leave the platform. The only positive thing I find is the fact that Nintendo did acquire Bayo2 and the Xeno franchise, there is also Devil's Third coming. Maybe, just maybe, they'll manage to convince some of their gamers to get into mature games. We'll see, these are steps in the right direction, but they will need more than just these and it will take years to get Nintendo gamers into more mature content.

You keep talking about Zombi U as an example of success. You are aware, that the reason it sold that much is the combination of being a launch title, getting a great bundle and being exclusive. Even if we leave the first two factors out of it, exclusivity is mandatory to sell at all on Wii U. As AC and CoD have proven, the console is way too underpowered to run PS4One ports on par with these consoles and gamers don't buy them for being inferior/not liking such games. So now you say - make exclusive games! The development is going to be even cheaper! Cool. So a 3rd party dev makes a game for the Wii U with a lower Wii U level of graphics... So why not put it on PS360? They can run Wii U games easily. So what happens? Wii U loses exclusivity! Why? Because putting the game on PS360 guarantees much higher sales than keeping it exclusive on Wii U. Obviously, since the game is no longer exclusive, it sells like crap on Wii U, but should the 3rd party dev care? Not at all! Cause the whole project just made him more money. If anything happens, they will dump the Wii U version next time, since it sells the worst.

This is the vicious circle Wii U is in. And it's not 3rd parties fault. They just try to adapt to the market reality and earn their living. The burden is on Nintendo, just like it was on Sony with Vita. Sony quit Vita (and I'm f***** pissed at them for this, it's such a great console with massive potential), we'll see what Nintendo does with Wii U.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

padib said:
Ucell said:
padib said:

He's right about that but he's wrong about generalising on Just Dance and Mature games. If you want my opinion I think he, like most 3rd party bosses, is a bonehead.

So you're calling people names, for the fact that he doesn't think the Wii U is profitable. I wonder whether you would have ported an AC game to Wii U if you had been a neutral CEO of Ubisoft, even though its not selling even decently? I don't think you would.

Thing is, he is actually a very experienced person, and unbiased, and that is why he knows its unwise to port AC to the Wii U.

I agree it's unwise to port AC to the WiiU, especially after they launched AC with no DLC.

I am calling him names because he is a moron. After so many years he still doesn't know how to make games on a Nintendo console. It's ridiculous.

If I were in his position, I would know much better what to do. AC not selling doesn't mean "Let's just sell JD!!1", or "mature games don't sell" or something stupid like that. I would say "I had no clue how to make money on the U, but I will try to reduce the budget on some games and learn to fit within reasonable expectation for a good new IP (like Zombie U)".

but instead of trying to appeal the wii u userbase with a mature game that fits them, they could just make an other multiplattform game for pc/ps/xbox and sell way better with much less risk, they could make a profit on nitendo consoles, but that´s not worth it

Did they really tried?

ZombieU was the only game with a little effort behind. They don't really tried to use the Wii U hardware effectively for the graphics but at least they used the Gamepad very well. ZombiU sold not as much as they hoped, but with the the low ratings ZombiU received (and it was very buggy before the patches) the sales seems appropriate.

Assassins Creed 3 on Wii U was technically only "ok" and received not much DLC. Assassins Creed 4 on Wii U was technically a mess with no DLC. In places the graphics in AC4 looked worse than in AC3. Rayman had its greatest and best incarnation on Wii U but only because they used the Gamepad well and the graphics where not challenging for the hardware. At least Rayman sold more on Wii U than on the other systems.

Ubi tried not very hard. They tried to make the ports with the lowest effort possible. It's okay that Ubisoft give up on Wii U but at least they should have tried with more effort.

I don't have hopes for Watch Dogs Wii U. First it seemed to be the greatest version of the game with Gamepad support and all but know it will probably only a quickly ported version of the PS360 version.

By the way: Just Dance was the only Ubisoft Wii game that got heavily promoted. I saw Just Dance events in some stores and all used Wii or Wii U. Perhaps some promotion for the Wii U versions of AC could have done something? The Wii U versions of AC got not even mentioned in most ads.

No time for tears. There are so many probably great first party (or Nintendo produced third party) games announced for this and next year (yes "mature" ones too) that I don't have time to test Watch Dogs anyway