By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS4 reach 10 million sold? - ioi comments on undertracking

Rab said:
Blood_Tears said:
It already sold 10 million "to consumers"....

I think Sony in the past has called stores their "consumers" if it suits them 

They have not. 

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
ioi said:
Norris2k said:
ioi's explanations make a lot of sense. I always wondered why it was so long to adjust the sales, and he makes clear they can't just get the number as a fact and randomly distribute such a difference across territories. They need details and checks.

Of course, it would be irresponsible to just keep changing numbers at will to keep 10-20 memebers of this forum happy. We need to fully investigate and check as to where our errors lie and make sure that if we do make changes then they are correctly accounted for.

Thanks for your answer... and for all your good work !

ioi said:

On the subject of Sony's 10m announcement and adjustments and in an attempt to be fully transparent - until we can figure out where the "missing" 600k units have been sold then we obviously can't adjust the figures since they certainly aren't in the USA, Canada, Mexico and South America, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Benelux, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Russia, Australia, New Zealand or Japan in which our data is very accurate and lines up well with other data providers. Our estimates for the other regions (Middle East, Africa, Asia) are rough estimates based on trends seen with PS2 / PS3.

Our data for the regions we track as listed above for PS4 adds up to around 9.0m which should be accurate to +/- 100k. We estimate a further 140k in the Middle East and Africa and 290k in the remainder of Asia taking us to the 9.4m you can see on the homepage.

If Sony's numbers are to be believed as being accurate sell-through then clearly they have sold an enormously disproportional amount in one of those regions and once we know which one we can make the necessary adjustments. We can't just add 600k units to the total - we need to know which regions to adjust so we can ensure that we are on track moving forwards. This is why adjustments don't always happen straight away or sometimes not at all - we can't just randomly add sales here and there to make things add up!

The same goes for complaints about PS3 and 360 sales - until we can get hard data for regions such as the Middle East, Africa, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, China and so on then the best we can do is extrapolate based on general market trends and make best estimates for specific platform sales in those regions. If you wish to help and know of any reports or research in those regions then let me know and we can compare to our estimates and make adjustments as necessary.

I can't belive you said that! You're trying to suggest they don't know how much they have sold and you are doing a better job! We all understand the difficulties you're facing to track everything correctly, but when i read stuff like this i'm reminded of the reputation of the website.

Ka-pi96 said:
Good explanation from ioi. It makes a lot of sense, sure Sony have made an announcement but VGC has it's data and is very close to other trackers data in the main regions as well so where else could the sales have come from? There isn't a lot ioi can really do without actually looking into it properly.

Germany is still quite a ways off which doesn't actually give me hope for the rest of Europe being spot-on. Something is clearly off with the estimates here, it's just too bad we don't know exactly what.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Locknuts said:
I can't believe what I've read so far in this thread. Could we get a link on the front page of VGChartz to the policy on hardware numbers and how they're calculated? The ignorance amongst members here is astounding.

If they just create numbers 'because Sony said so', there goes their credibility and consistency. Sony's numbers would be estimates too.

As others have said, I also can't believe how polite the mods have been. VGChartz have their methods. If you don't like them, then that's your problem, not theirs.

The blunt truth of it the so called keeping the 20 or so members happy

In my observation about the site.

This is exactly why no one respects ioi's site!

What he is implying is that its unlikely Sony has sold through that number. Because you do not say something like this: 

"If Sony's numbers are to be believed" 

This implying Doubt to Sonys Claim! 

In other words 

Microsoft's word: = good enough for Us. 

Nintendo's word: = good enough for Us. 

Sony's word: = not good enough need more Confirmation by outside source other than Sony itself!

Many may say that is just Fanboy's, but when the owner of the site is outright doubting one companies claim but does not give the same treatment of doubt to the other two

Its showing more than just bias its showing that he himself does not trust Sony's word but values Nintendo and Microsofts over Sony's word.

Which he can do that but why would any Sony numbers ever be viewed as accurate on this site here any more?

Since he is now inplying Sony's numbers do not line up with independent tracking services but here is the thing only one, independent tracking service is claiming they can track world wide data can you guess which one? 

So the Claim is no way can Sony track the numbers better than VGchartz.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:
Maybe the remaining consoles were not 'sold'?

Like there was a promotion where you had a 1 in 5 chance of winning a PS4 when buying a bravia TV in the UK.
That would mean only 3m bravias in all countries where the promotion was running would need to be sold for them to give away 600k playstations.

I've seen those promotions too. But it was with their high end 55+ inch TVs. And it was a really good offer cause if you take out the PS4 price from it, then the TV was actually one of the cheapest big TVs on the market. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Alt Removed - Conegamer

Wait are people actually accusing Sony of lying about the numbers? Oh God we're reaching new levels of delusion.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

MoHasanie said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Maybe the remaining consoles were not 'sold'?

Like there was a promotion where you had a 1 in 5 chance of winning a PS4 when buying a bravia TV in the UK.
That would mean only 3m bravias in all countries where the promotion was running would need to be sold for them to give away 600k playstations.

I've seen those promotions too. But it was with their high end 55+ inch TVs. And it was a really good offer cause if you take out the PS4 price from it, then the TV was actually one of the cheapest big TVs on the market. 

Managed to find the t&c's of that competition, it starts at 42" on selected models (I assume their newest ranges at the time)

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/campaigns/fifa/tc

I cant find articles on the promotion running in other countries, so it probably wont add up to much anyway.

Ka-pi96 said:
Burek said:

Especially since every even remotely knowledgable user outside the US creates a US account to have access to cheaper games.

That's not at all insulting.... thanks....

Sorry, it wasn't meant as an insult, and especially not towards you.

But if you or anyone else plans on purchasing games digitally, you simply need to have an US account.