By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is moneyhatting frowned upon?

AnthonyW86 said:

Could someone give me an example of Nintendo or Sony moneyhatting an established multi platform franchise to become exclusive? I really can't think of any.

Edit: I just thought of RE4 but that more like an exclusive switching systems.

sony made sure tomb raider 2  and any  tomb radier game till 2000 would only be released on playstation

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tomb%20radier%202

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Azerth said:
its only frowned upon if its Microsoft that did the moneyhatting

People 'frowned' when Sony money hatted some tiny bits of exclusive content from Destiny. And that is a new IP, that has never released before, and it's only a tiny sliver of the game, not an entire game from an established IP that has sold better on PS consoles from its inception.

Please, cut the crap.

Exactly this. 

JayWood2010 said:

Basically its dirty if MSFT does it. Anybody else and its ok.

At the end of the day its a business and whether its first, second, or third party that money is used to make their console more appealing to consumers by keeping it off other platforms.  Its smart business and the reactions show it honestly.

This!!!

darkshadow23 said:
If the only reason you are paying is to keep the game off other platforms, then it is dirty.

Now if the game was going to be canceled or something else like that and you pay money to fund the creation of the game then that is ok.

And how is that bad? I see it is giving gamers an incentive to get your platform over another. Microsoft has to get Sony's customers somehow. 

People here show more and more that they know nothing. I find it strange that this instance of how it all occurs but let's think about it properly.

MS, Sony and Nintendo seem to have 3 different ways of dealing with 3rd parties. Nintendo are a case of let it fly (at the moment) if the game suits their system cool put it on it. Sony are more along the lines of we'll help you fund the game, get it released but the IP is ours or they already own the IP and Sony are just hiring them to make the game. MS is a case of paying for the development of a studios game, no ownership of the IP but the studio are obliged to release the game on a MS system.

All 3 things (last 2 mainly) are fine. Sunset Overdrive is a good example of the MS, Bloodborne of the Sony one. Neither are money hatting. They are good business.

The Destiny exclusive content/timed content isn't either, that's just a deal. The game is made and you are not missing out on anything really, it's extra for the sum of money. No different to Maps early for CoD on MS consoles.

Paying to stop a game from even being released on your competitions console is money hatting. The game was in development for PS4, PS3 and PC right? none of them are getting it. (of course if it's time exclusive then why the hell did MS bother).

And no, they didn't save the game. SE made profit from TR in the end with the PS4/XBO releases.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
IamAwsome said:
darkshadow23 said:
If the only reason you are paying is to keep the game off other platforms, then it is dirty.

Now if the game was going to be canceled or something else like that and you pay money to fund the creation of the game then that is ok.

And how is that bad? I see it is giving gamers an incentive to get your platform over another. Microsoft has to get Sony's customers somehow. 

What if someone bought a PS4 because they liked games like Uncharted and Infamous, but also like games like Tomb Raider.

Maybe this person is a fan of Tomb Raider but can't afford an XOne or they don't want to buy an XOne for just one game.

AnthonyW86 said:

Could someone give me an example of Nintendo or Sony moneyhatting an established multi platform franchise to become exclusive? I really can't think of any.

Edit: I just thought of RE4 but that more like an exclusive switching systems.

Nintendo moneyhatting the 3 Sonic games for Wii U and Monster Hunter 4. 

IamAwsome said:

Here's an idea, why don't they make their own games? Make one that people will want to buy an Xbone for. Halo was a game like that once. Are they too afraid to do another?

Hmm, pie.

In the videogames case its because the game would exist despite the money hatting or not and the fact that it was money hatted makes it so that half the gamming comunity looses the ability to play said game.

It's only frowned upon when MS does it. It's the double standard that has existed since the original xbox was announced.