By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Share Play is Sony's take on Microsoft's original Xbox One dream

It sounds like this will be a feature that is controlled by the developer. Also if Farcry limit 4 hours of play, then essentially this appears to be another form of demo. Not sure if developers want users the ability to play their game without purchasing it so having some time constraint seems like it will be the norm.

If this end of being the case then it will be a nice feature sort of like remote play but nothing game changing.

Around the Network

Doesn't seem that similar to XBO's original idea to me.

It's not the same thing at all. Barely even in the same ballpark. Sure it's a cool feature, but this article title gor my hopes up for nothing.

MS family plan would allow anyone within the plan to be able to play games purchased by one person. Anyone within your family and it did not have to be a true family just 10 people you picked would be able to download and play your digital copy.

The share play sounds great in concept but not sure how it will work. If I have to have my console on while someone plays my game, then that would mean, I cannot play or do anything else on my console during that time.

The Co-Op part sounds really nice and I can see myself using it but if its timed then it turns the system into a big demo.

Burek said:
Xevross said:

lol what? Sony announced Share Play way before the XBO was even announced. This feature has nothing to do with M$. I'm super excited for it. It also lets other people take control of your second controller, so if games are ever local co-op only they can be played as online co-op

Far Cry 4 has already been advertised as such, but with limitations in place. I wonder if the feature will be limited on other games, or, hypothetically, you load the game and a friend plays the whole thing, thus avoiding the purchase.

farcry's feature however works in a different way. the ones who dont own the game have to download an "app" (which is basically the game content) on their PS4 and then the owner of the game sends it to them so they can access the content for 2 hours.

share play is streaming the content from one PS4 to another. 

Around the Network

Xbox Family Details:

"When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to."

I still think these are two completely different features.  We have conflicting sources.  Family sharing is dead. Let it go.

Microsoft denied the rumors after it was cancelled, so we will never know the full details.  Microsoft also wanted to avoid questions going as far as cancelling the scheduled E3 media roundtable.  Remember the E3 contraversy?

"In a departure from previous years, Microsoft cancelled its annual E3 media roundtable traditionally after its press event. The roundtable typically allows selected members of the press to ask questions of Microsoft executives about the polices and features like the Family Sharing plan. Without the event, the public was left without full details."

Josiah said:

Xbox Family Details:

"When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to."

I still think these are two completely different features.  We have conflicting sources.  Family sharing is dead. Let it go.

Microsoft denied the rumors after it was cancelled, so we will never know the full details.  Microsoft also wanted to avoid questions going as far as cancelling the scheduled E3 media roundtable.  Remember the E3 contraversy?

"In a departure from previous years, Microsoft cancelled its annual E3 media roundtable traditionally after its press event. The roundtable typically allows selected members of the press to ask questions of Microsoft executives about the polices and features like the Family Sharing plan. Without the event, the public was left without full details."

@Bolded:  Where did you get that blurb from.  This was the original Family plan that was posted from MS on their website and I do not remember seeing anythign about 15-45 min demo.  http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

eh, ps4 shareplay is a 60min demo (unless that got proven wrong today). Hopefully when MS re announces its Family sharing plan its a bit more thought out than Sony's approach.

I'm glad they're finally implementing this feature

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Looks like there was some clarification about Sony's Shareplay. 60 minutes per session but you can use it as many times as you want.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4s-upcoming-game-sharing-feature-limits-you-to-6/1100-6421730/

This sounds so much better than the 60 minutes ONLY that some people thought it would be. Still, I don't know why they need to make it 60 minutes per session in the first place.