By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A cut to 299 might not help X1 much

Chris Hu said:
BeElite said:
Chris Hu said:
BeElite said:
Chris Hu said:

The bundles will help sales they always have helped anyway the X1 in nowhere as doomed as you think it is.

Potential bundles and promotions wont help anywher near as much as you think, TF march and 399 sku already are living proof of that.  You got hopes i got market examples.  

The 399 sku isn't a bundle and TF did boost the X1 sales probably not as much as the hoped it would but it still did very good for a new IP.

Given the hype marleting free game 449 X1 with Tf and kinetc, very good is a bit of a stretch.  hell there was even bundles found that included all that plus a year of Gold.

I guess to you a new IP has to sell over 4 million copies to be called successful.

this works for some games not all.

they lost a lot of money without playstion systems.

ask bungie if they want sell 2m copies of destiny

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Around the Network

Since pretty much no one besides some of the people that where involved in making TF know the total budget of the game (developement + advertising) there is no way of knowing if TF was a success or failure.  But a new IP that sells over a million copies is usually successful the only exception to that rule would be Shenmue and Destiny (since we know it has total budget close to 500 million).

i think that we saw the price dropped to 299 the first month xbox would get a good boost, but would be on par with ps4, WW ps4 would still have the edge but xbox would be a competition on USA, even if it didnt outsell ps4 would be doing similar numbers there..

Chris Hu said:

Since pretty much no one besides some of the people that where involved in making TF know the total budget of the game (developement + advertising) there is no way of knowing if TF was a success or failure.  But a new IP that sells over a million copies is usually successful the only exception to that rule would be Shenmue and Destiny (since we know it has total budget close to 500 million).

Destiny's budget is 500 million over 10  years and 4 total games.

FATALITY said:
Chris Hu said:

I guess to you a new IP has to sell over 4 million copies to be called successful.

lol yeah.

watch dogs sold 4m frist week on 5 platforms

destiny will proably break that by a decent margin on only 4 platforms

but no way a need ip need that sales to be called successful.

titanfall was successful, too and will be possibly at 4m half a year after launch on 3 platforms

Around the Network
prinz_valium said:
FATALITY said:
Chris Hu said:

lol yeah.

watch dogs sold 4m frist week on 5 platforms

destiny will proably break that by a decent margin on only 4 platforms

but no way a need ip need that sales to be called successful.

titanfall was successful, too and will be possibly at 4m half a year after launch on 3 platforms

for huge publishers like EA activion ubisoft etc being successful is not enough. they are multibil companies

they only care about multi mil deals

thats why ubi now have ubiart studio for small profit

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

To be fair the Titanfall deal, just like Sunset and any other 3rd party deal for x1 was made when the industry assumed that x1 would win the US and be viable internationally. If that had been what happened, the deals would have made sense, as Microsoft could sell the deals on the strength of the predicted market share. Now that all of that has completely collapsed, future deals for Microsoft will be staggeringly expensive due to having to compensate for locking yourself away from the vast majority of the global market, and even a sizable majority of the US market.

July NPD will show the abject failure of $399 to do anything at all, and August will cement another 2:1 loss in the books. September will be beyond brutal, bringing install gap solidly north of 1m and putting inertia into a full 12 months of NPD wins for 2014. X1s only shot this holiday is that ps4 has availability problems.

A $300 Xbox One will probably boost Xbox One sales. But MS needs to do this this september or early november. That will give the Xbox One some momentum going into the holiday and Sony probably wont cut their price and waiting to see how it plays out, which would be in favor or Xbox One. But I see the Xbox One selling a lot more but they would still be behind PS4 globally. In the US I think it would be very close.
This holiday might be the most important moment for Xbox One. Cause we have to remember even cheaper and with a year lead Xbox360 could not win Europe for them.
So the cut would only help in the US.

If you think price is the problem you're delusional. First it was Titanfall that would save the X1. Then it was a $100 cheaper sku without Kinect. Now it's Sunset Overdrive. After that it will be Halo MCC. Its plain and simple, if people want a PlayStation they're not going to change their minds when they walk in a store and see a cheaper console and clearly everyone is wanting a PS4 this gen. Its going to take a lot more than a price cut to change the the perception that PlayStation is the place to go for games. Not to mention the fact that the PS4 is looking to have a very strong 2015 with Bloodborne, The Order, and potentially uncharted 4. Add in great multiplats and potential exclusives we don't know about yet and you have the PS4 very comfortably taking an even bigger lead in 2015. I would also confidently go on to say another price cut to $299 would hurt the perception of the X1 even more. If I see a product that is doing well like the PS4 versus a product that has already had a price reduction of $200 in its first year I would not feel comfortable buying that product. Too many major price cuts too rapidly makes it look like the product is doing poorly and becoming desperate, not exactly the image I want to send as a business or a product I want to buy as a consumer. 

I also think there are some people that need to be honest and admit the X1 is not doing well. I'm not saying its failing but being killed by your major competition, not outselling a console (Wii u) that is perceived as a failure, trending below your previous console, and getting soundly beat in your strongest market is not what I consider doing "well" nor is it what MS had in mind for their new console I'm sure.