By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog "nickeling and diming"?

Tagged games:

Sharpryno said:

Only EA, Microsoft and Ubisoft can get bashed for microtransactions. Do it for a Naughty Dog game and people will hate you. Don't mean to troll, but this is seriously how it is :(

I doubt Naughty Dog would have included microtransactions that gives anyone an advantage.  But it isn't strictly cosmetic.

These new DLC are only cosmetic, but go look at their first DLC and tell me that none of them doesn't give any player advantages.

• Survival Skills Bundle, $3.99: Unlock four survival skills that will make you even more deadly. This bundle includes Gunslinger, Bomb Expert, Executioner, and Damage Marker.
  • Situational Survival Skills Bundle, $3.99: Unlock four survival skills that will help you get the best of any situation. This bundle includes Agility, Awareness, Fortitude, and Scavenger.
  • Survivalist Weapon Bundle, $5.99: Need more firepower? This is your bundle. The Survivalist Weapon bundle includes the Specter, Double Barrel, Enforcer, and Launcher. PSN purchase unlocks these guns for use in your Custom Loadout. Equip in the Purchasable loadout slot, then use in-game parts to buy them during the match.

• Around the Network
    ronco2000 said:
    Sharpryno said:

Only EA, Microsoft and Ubisoft can get bashed for microtransactions. Do it for a Naughty Dog game and people will hate you. Don't mean to troll, but this is seriously how it is :(

I doubt Naughty Dog would have included microtransactions that gives anyone an advantage.  But it isn't strictly cosmetic.

These new DLC are only cosmetic, but go look at their first DLC and tell me that none of them doesn't give any player advantages.

• Survival Skills Bundle, $3.99: Unlock four survival skills that will make you even more deadly. This bundle includes Gunslinger, Bomb Expert, Executioner, and Damage Marker.
  • Situational Survival Skills Bundle, $3.99: Unlock four survival skills that will help you get the best of any situation. This bundle includes Agility, Awareness, Fortitude, and Scavenger.
  • Survivalist Weapon Bundle, $5.99: Need more firepower? This is your bundle. The Survivalist Weapon bundle includes the Specter, Double Barrel, Enforcer, and Launcher. PSN purchase unlocks these guns for use in your Custom Loadout. Equip in the Purchasable loadout slot, then use in-game parts to buy them during the match.
  • Bomb Expert and the Enforcer are definite advantages. I haven't fiddled with the other perks and weapons enough to know, but it's certainly a premium set of advantages for MP. Which is why they charge for them and why they take up more points in your loadout.

I hate DLC of this kind. The thing is, it didn't start with ND but with other big studios like Activivion and EA a few years into last gen.

If we didn't accept that type of  DLC model then, then it wouldn't be common practice now to maximise profit. We have and this is the result, every major release will have micro-transactions (some aren't so micro for effectively not much in return).

Now people might say it's choice but they don't realise that some publishers reduce content to sell to because of effectiveness of micro-transactions. You now have to pay more for what you would have had on the disc. Some content is already on the disc but you still have to pay to unlock it.

One guy on the PS blog brought up an interesting point.
    He/She said that it takes him a bit sometimes to wait for matchmaking due to low amount of people on mp.
    His/Her concern is that with the map DLCs coming up, probably they will be coming at a cost, it will fragment the little community TLOU has compared to COD for example.

the-pi-guy said:
    archer9234 said:
    They need to stop calling it season pass. Name it something else. Not like Limited DLC pass. But it can't sound like it lasts forever. That's the confusion.

A season is only 3 months.  
    Season passes always only last a certain duration.  Usually it lasts 1 year.  Otherwise there would be the lifetime pass.  

People are very dumb. No matter how easily that is known. We live in a culture that can sue a company, because their coffee was hot. EDIT: Now it seems we can sue because games aren't produced at 1080p.

Goatseye said:
    One guy on the PS blog brought up an interesting point.
    He/She said that it takes him a bit sometimes to wait for matchmaking due to low amount of people on mp.
    His/Her concern is that with the map DLCs coming up, probably they will be coming at a cost, it will fragment the little community TLOU has compared to COD for example.

That's always gonna happend. UC3 MP was screwed up because the DLC maps. The majority isn't gonna own the DLC. I never buy that stuff. It's nice and all. But it's not worth paying ultimatly several times more than $60 for fluff. Even if it's for SP story points. It obiously not a big deal to the actual story. Or it be apart of the game from the start. Just like ADA's side in RE4. If that was DLC. I wouldn't of cared. Her side story is not interesting to the main game. To get me to buy DLC, it has to be apart of the game, or has to be the size and material of an expansion pack. Main story missions, and 20 types of costumes and stuff. For like $30.

Around the Network

maps pack are the main DLC that I buy. I get other stuff from time to time,but not nearly as much. LBP was kind of the same way in it's DLC.