By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How powerful will Nintendo's next-gen handheld/console be?

hopefully the console is on par if not alittle past ps4 in terms of specs. the handheld needs to be more powerful than vita.

Around the Network

"""There has been quite a bit discussion lately about Nintendo's next-gen devices and many people, myself included, believe Nintendo is going to unify the handheld and console by releasing two seperate devices with the same architecture and OS with similar specs that will allow all games to be played on either platform.""""

This.

I think the handheld will be at least 2x powerful than the 3DS and have HD.
While the home console will be at least the power of Ps5/Xbox Two .........or bigger and YET the cheapest console by at least 50$£.

Well - I hope it will be like that.

I think pricing is more important than raw specs.

They probably have to go for something that is not too expensive for the market and not obsolete as well. It's a delicate balance.

Matching the specs of the Ps5 and Nextbox is plain stupid, Nintendo's best chance is to gain an edge with the a cheaper price tag and unique software library.

On the handheld department i have no idea

mii-gamer said:

They probably have to go for something that is not too expensive for the market and not obsolete as well. It's a delicate balance.

Matching the specs of the Ps5 and Nextbox is plain stupid, Nintendo's best chance is to gain an edge with the a cheaper price tag and unique software library.

On the handheld department i have no idea

I agree, they should be as powerful as humanly possible while costing $199 and sold at a slight profit.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Some people seem to think Nintendo needs to get back into a spec war with Sony/Microsoft by releasing a powerful console that will be able to compete with PS5/Xbox4 in order to regain strong third party support. Personally I believe this is a horrible idea and that Nintendo will go for a moderate power upgrade.

Honestly, nintend will NEED to do this for their next console. The world has this mindset now that that if the specs are not good or comprarable to the other systems, than it is garbage and people are told to stay away. I hate to say it, but people are spec whores now. if they don't have the best, then they don't have it good enough. You see this VERY clearly  with the Xbox One and the PS4. They are almost identicle spec wise yet you have people lashing out at "all the most power of the PS4" when there isn't really that much more.As it stands now, Nintendo is and has been laughed off the stage now. Developers are abandoning it and totally over looking the system even though they go to the last gen systems. If Nintendo wants to survive, it needs to step up its game and get with reality. Yeah, Power has not always been the most important thing but with this generation, power is what will put you on top.

mii-gamer:

Again, this generation showed that a cheaper system does not mean it will perform better. Maybe if you look at the Xbox vs Wii U but take a look at the PS4. People look at the specs and are like "oh, for only $100 more you get X better, i'll go for that". Now, if they could get their system a cheaper price and be similar in specs, than yeah, people will go for it.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
VanceIX said:

If you are going to lower the resolution to qHD, what's the point of even comparing it to the PS3/360? qHD looks bland compared to 720p/1080p on mobile devices. 

And there's absolutely no chance in hell Nintendo uses a brand-new, modern chip for their game console. What you are seeing now is probably the most Nintendo will spend. They won't be using Kepler K3 GPUs or Snapdragon 1000 CPUs (or whatever is the 2016 chipset), unless they plan on selling the system at $299+ (at which point it will promptly crash and burn).

That resolution is perfectly playable on a 5.5-6 inch display though, so what's the problem? The consumer probably won't know any better. 

There are several PS Vita games that don't run in the native resolution of the screen like Uncharted, yet it's pretty much impossible to tell unless someone tells you which game is running at full screen resolution and which isn't. 

I don't think Nintendo really cares about winning a "comparision", just getting a decent level of performance that allows them to port some of their Wii U games/engines over and have playable games. 

The chips available today will be ancient by 2016, they'll probably pick a 2015-level chip. 

The most expensive component is really not the chipset, it's the screen + touch panel in all portable devices. Nintendo can save big dollars there by going with say a 5.7 inch display at a moderate resolution (say 1280x720). The chipset in these devices is only like $30 of the total manufacturing cost. 

So you say Nintendo would go with a qHD resolution, a resolution not seen on consumer devices since 2012, but at the same time use a new, 2015 chipset? Alright man.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

ikki5 said:
zorg1000 said:

Some people seem to think Nintendo needs to get back into a spec war with Sony/Microsoft by releasing a powerful console that will be able to compete with PS5/Xbox4 in order to regain strong third party support. Personally I believe this is a horrible idea and that Nintendo will go for a moderate power upgrade.

Honestly, nintend will NEED to do this for their next console. The world has this mindset now that that if the specs are not good or comprarable to the other systems, than it is garbage and people are told to stay away. I hate to say it, but people are spec whores now. if they don't have the best, then they don't have it good enough. You see this VERY clearly  with the Xbox One and the PS4. They are almost identicle spec wise yet you have people lashing out at "all the most power of the PS4" when there isn't really that much more.As it stands now, Nintendo is and has been laughed off the stage now. Developers are abandoning it and totally over looking the system even though they go to the last gen systems. If Nintendo wants to survive, it needs to step up its game and get with reality. Yeah, Power has not always been the most important thing but with this generation, power is what will put you on top.

mii-gamer:

Again, this generation showed that a cheaper system does not mean it will perform better. Maybe if you look at the Xbox vs Wii U but take a look at the PS4. People look at the specs and are like "oh, for only $100 more you get X better, i'll go for that". Now, if they could get their system a cheaper price and be similar in specs, than yeah, people will go for it.

Pretty much that. 

Home consoles are a dead end for Nintendo. No one but Nintendo fans will be impressed with a "new" Nintendo console that has graphics similar (slightly worse/better) than a PS4 in 2017/18. That will be old hat by then. 

That's why I think Nintendo's next "console" is basically just going to be a souped up version of their handheld chipset. It will be able to run Wii U level graphics perhaps in 1080p (rather than 720p) with maybe a few extra effects and that's it. It will be extremely small like an AppleTV and very affordable (under $199.99). 

It will play the exact same games as the handheld ... no division, meaning Nintendo won't be in a situation where their console games have to sell to such a lower user base -- ie: Super Mario 3D World can only sell to 6 million users, whereas 3D Land can sell to 44 million ... imagine 3D World had 50 million instal base to sell to. 

vivster said:
Nintendo will never release a console that's on par with the competition. It will always just be slightly above the competition's last gen consoles.

Well what makes you think that way? Because Nintendo made the Wii and WiiU not as powerful as PS360 and PS4XBO?

You jump to that conclusion because of 2 systems?

Is it okay for me to jump to the conclusion then that every future Sony and Microsoft console will be inferior to PCs because PS4 and XBO are pretty weak for 2013 consoles?

Making PS4 the most powerful console of its generation should also not have happened then right? I mean neither PS1 nor PS2 were powerful and PS3 was basically on par with the 360 that came out 1 year earlier.

kljesta64 said:
next nintendo console will be and needs to be on par with other consoles if they want 3rd party games.

I don't think power is going to make much of a difference.  They didn't get that great of support on 64 or GC.  The ps360 still gets most multiplats, so I don't think power isn't the real reason the WiiU is getting skipped.

ikki5 said:
zorg1000 said:

mii-gamer:

I think its time to admit that no matter what Nintendo does they arent going to get the AAA western crowd on there consoles. We have smartphones/tablets for low-level budget gaming and PS/Xbox/PC for high budget blockbuster gaming. The mid-level games have sorta disapeared but I think thats what Nintendo should aim to reestablish, release console/handhelds at $199 with software at $30-40. Like I said in previous posts, Nintendo handhelds always have strong Japanese 3rd party support and Nintendo will have a better software output since they will no longer have to make games for two seperate devices, this will give Nintendo no more droughts and they can truly have a big enough selection of games not found on other devices to warrant a purchase.

Price certainly makes a difference, yes Wii U is cheaper but its not a huge difference, $300 vs $400. Plus PS4 is much more powerful, has DVD/Blu-Ray playback along with other multimedia functions and has a significantly greater software output, the $100 difference is worth it, considering there Is a drought after nearly every major game release for on Wii U. Nintendo should release the next console at $199 and make it as powerful as possible while still selling it at a profit, PS4/Xbox4 will likely be $400+ so the price difference will be more noticable.

Also its not all about sales, I dont think Nintendo should get caught up in who sells the most, profit should be more important. Nintendo just needs to make affordable hardware sold at a profit with a steady stream of high quality software not found on other devices.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.