By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Third time is NOT the charm?

DaveyBoy88 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Don't know about that. You could say Sega and Nintendo have screwed up more than once, but that could only be said for Sony if you are including handhelds (Vita) and Microsoft haven't really screwed up before. The original Xbox was a good entry for them, not great but still a good start, the 360 was pretty much as good as they could have hoped for. Their first real mistakes were with the Xbox One reveal and while they have done well fixing them it is still taking time to get people back on board.

JFC REALLY!? RROD. 1 BILLION DOLLARS.

And the original XBox? MS had to drop the price in Europe to peanuts in no time. 

Now tell me, seriously, if all these details matter nothing to you; are you only looking at final sales? Because if so then PS3 has NO RIGHT to be part of these discussions.

Am I making myself clear enough for y'all?

you are way too agressive

Around the Network
DaveyBoy88 said:
DonFerrari said:
DaveyBoy88 said:
I think people try to find trends when there aren't any in order to pose themselves as having some significant insight into matters.

The N64 sold 32M and the Genesis 40M. For me, that's enough to say that this whole thing is just lollipop sucking.

Genesis is Sega 2nd console... and N64 altough doing 32M is way bellow Snes and lost the hegemony of the market to be outsold 3:1.

I know Genesis is Sega's 2nd console. My point is that you people are using whatever criteria suits you to prove your worthless point. 

Genesis sold more than Master System, them Saturn sold less than it... that is the point...

And the point is just that the 4 companies have gone from OK Start, Excellent 2nd iteration, mind blowing mistakes on 3rd try.

Please mind your tone... In half the posts I answered to you, your attitude isn't adequated to VGC policies and rules.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

fighter said:
DaveyBoy88 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Don't know about that. You could say Sega and Nintendo have screwed up more than once, but that could only be said for Sony if you are including handhelds (Vita) and Microsoft haven't really screwed up before. The original Xbox was a good entry for them, not great but still a good start, the 360 was pretty much as good as they could have hoped for. Their first real mistakes were with the Xbox One reveal and while they have done well fixing them it is still taking time to get people back on board.

JFC REALLY!? RROD. 1 BILLION DOLLARS.

And the original XBox? MS had to drop the price in Europe to peanuts in no time. 

Now tell me, seriously, if all these details matter nothing to you; are you only looking at final sales? Because if so then PS3 has NO RIGHT to be part of these discussions.

Am I making myself clear enough for y'all?

you are way too agressive

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

DaveyBoy88 said:
I think people try to find trends when there aren't any in order to pose themselves as having some significant insight into matters.

The N64 sold 32M and the Genesis 40M. For me, that's enough to say that this whole thing is just lollipop sucking.

I don´t pretend to have any insight into anything, if that was directed at me. I am an amateur just like the rest of us, but I also try to see patterns in the industry. Maybe I´m right, maybe I´m wrong.

Yes, N64 sold decently but you must remember that the market grew alot from the Mega Drive/SNES era to the Saturn/N64/Playstation era. This means that N64 dropped of alot in market penetration relative to the size of the market from one generation to the next. They went from having somewhere around 55-60% marketshare to around 20-25% marketshare. That is a major concern for any company.

bananaking21 said:
Arrogance, thats the cause. by the time every company was about to release their third console they had their heads so far up their asses that they started believing their own shit. they thought people would buy their console no matter what (sony actually said this). and they want to start dictating what happens in the market. and each in every time one of the competition comes along and knocks them down straight on their assses.

Yeah, I´m thinking the same. Arrogance and lazyness (which can be caused by arrogance). They seem to think us fans are prepared to bend over for anything. Even though I actually liked alot of MS´s ideas, i hated the price and the way they treated critics. I also completely understand why so many were against the ideas and as a company, you must show that you genuinly sympathize with critics even if you don´t agree. Sadly the had a robot (Mattrick) as their leader.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
DaveyBoy88 said:

I don´t pretend to have any insight into anything, if that was directed at me. I am an amateur just like the rest of us, but I also try to see patterns in the industry. Maybe I´m right, maybe I´m wrong.

Yes, N64 sold decently but you must remember that the market grew alot from the Mega Drive/SNES era to the Saturn/N64/Playstation era. This means that N64 dropped of alot in market penetration relative to the size of the market from one generation to the next. They went from having somewhere around 55-60% marketshare to around 20-25% marketshare. That is a major concern for any company.

Well since market share is what concerns you, then you should list the marketshare for each company for the 1st, 2nd, etc. generations and show that there has always been a major disparity when it comes to the 3rd generation.

That's how you would indicate something. Otherwise it's just fluff.

Puppyroach said:
bananaking21 said:
Arrogance, thats the cause. by the time every company was about to release their third console they had their heads so far up their asses that they started believing their own shit. they thought people would buy their console no matter what (sony actually said this). and they want to start dictating what happens in the market. and each in every time one of the competition comes along and knocks them down straight on their assses.

Yeah, I´m thinking the same. Arrogance and lazyness (which can be caused by arrogance). They seem to think us fans are prepared to bend over for anything. Even though I actually liked alot of MS´s ideas, i hated the price and the way they treated critics. I also completely understand why so many were against the ideas and as a company, you must show that you genuinly sympathize with critics even if you don´t agree. Sadly the had a robot (Mattrick) as their leader.

And there is the possibilitie that the ideas weren't all bad, but presentation and execution were flawed... Anyway the public had talked and they heard, made the changes... We will never know how it would have rolled if they didn't 180.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Dgc1808 said:

Puppyroach said:

(I won´t count the misstep of Virtual Boy, Nintendo deserves better)

Why not?

Because the VB was actually a "portable" system..... According to Nintendo at least!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

DaveyBoy88 said:

Well since market share is what concerns you, then you should list the marketshare for each company for the 1st, 2nd, etc. generations and show that there has always been a major disparity when it comes to the 3rd generation.

That's how you would indicate something. Otherwise it's just fluff.

I am sure Sega, Nintendo and Sony executives look back at the Saturn, N64 and PS3 periods with joy in their eyes :). It´s a combination of general perception, sales, markesshare, damage to the brand and so on that I looked at, i tried not to reduce my viewpoint too much...

Dgc1808 said:

Puppyroach said:

(I won´t count the misstep of Virtual Boy, Nintendo deserves better)

Why not?

Because it is more of a concept console, that Nintendo from the start didn´t seem to know how to handle. Is was also sold as some kind of "portable" game console, not really fitting with the classic game console I looked at.