By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When Do You Think the Next Generation Will Start??

2016: 4DS
2017: Wii3
2019: PS5 and X2

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Nintendo- 2017/2018

Sony/MS-2019

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

toastboy44562 said:

When do you think PS5/Xbox 4/Wii3 will come out?

Generations restart typically 5 years after the release of a new console. This generation is very underpowered graphically, especially the Wii U. Adjusted for inflation, this generation has the cheapest consoles given the time they have been out.

I think Nintendo's next handheld will come out in 2016 since the 3DS is already 3 years old and has its remodels already.

There won't be another Sony handheld I don't think.

Wii U will have a successor as quickly as winter 2017 because of low Wii U sales.

Xbox 3 and Playstation 5 should release in 2017/2018 with processing power at least 4X of the consoles today and full backwards compatibility.

Just my toasty thoughts what do you think??

Bullshit. Like all of your Predictions, thoughts, etc.

You just want power, just as you said some times alone in this post. Buy a PC. Leave this Forum.

User was banned for this post. - Viper.

I dont think were ever gona see backwards compatibility again, thats a feature that makes consoles much more expensive, cutting that feature alone allowed Sony to reduce the PS3 price 100 bucks after its launch.

DakonBlackblade said:
I dont think were ever gona see backwards compatibility again, thats a feature that makes consoles much more expensive, cutting that feature alone allowed Sony to reduce the PS3 price 100 bucks after its launch.

You're wrong. Next gen consoles will also have the x86 architecture, they wont go back to PowerPC ever again. PS5 and nextbox will both have BC for PS4 and Xbone. And those consoles should be powerful enough to soft emulate PS3 and 360. PS5 could have 5 generations of gaming if Sony allows it and doesn't put everything behind PS Now

Around the Network
toastboy44562 said:

When do you think PS5/Xbox 4/Wii3 will come out?

The next xbox will be called: "Xbox One Two" or "Xbox One 2" maybe even "Xbox12" not xbox4 !

That was pretty obnoxious from MS to call this "One" erasing what the original Xbox did at the time (Standard Hard drive and most powerful console of its time).

My guess is MS is already hard at work on their next iteration, it will be like a phone/tablet upgrade, in the sense that it will keep backward compatibility and be mostly the same experience as the console you had before, except games will run better on it... maybe withing 4 years of the original release of the xb1.

I hope Sony works on something similar, my though is that both, especially Sony, see their consoles more like first generation of new entertainment platforms as opposed to a fixed gaming machine that will loose everything when time comes to upgrade (it's a huge gamble to loose all your userbase every 4 or 5 years, especially when the technical benefits will not be "game changing" as they were in the past, that may not be worth it).

Wii U successor will probably come in holiday 2017, thats still 3.5 years of riding the wii u out, a long time. I cant imagine what games they'll be making after Zelda, I hope 2016 and onwards doesnt resemble the transitioning period between Wii and Wii U with those year long droughts.
PS5 will likely come out at the end of 2019 making the PS4 gen 6 years long. Next Xbox is a bit difficult to predict, if they get beaten hard by Sony this gen, MS could stop making consoles or hasten the release of the next console, giving it a 1-2 year head start. Could try to be disruptive like the 360 again. But it'd suck for the Xbone owners as support for their console would only be 4-5 years long again.

Nintendo: Will be busy with QoL in 2015/2016.
3DS sucessor to come only in 2017/2018.
Wii U sucessor, 2018/2019.

Microsoft: Xbox One was built arround kinect, but with less than 1 year they get rid of it. Xbox One now is a inconsistent machine in terms of concept, and I think it wont last too much. I expect the sucessor in 2017/2018.

Sony: Vita wont have a sucessor too soon, only with a new technology. I woulf say 2025+.
PS4 has no reason for a sucessor. But since Xbox will be release soon, they will be forced to bring ps4 sucessor too, but it depends of how good xbox will do. 2018/2019/2020

3DS successor 2017 consoles 2018

The next xbox will launch at most 5 years after, probably 4 making it 2017. If MS is going to lose this gen, they'll want if over as fast as possible.

And seriously, when has an xbox system not been in some way abandoned after 3 years....