By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When Do You Think the Next Generation Will Start??

I think in 2020. 

But I've already decided not to go there, I'll just keep my PS4 until I finish all interesting games from this generation, and retire from gaming. 

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
ICStats said:

No reason to expect PS4+XB1 will peak next year (year 3).  PS3+X360 peaked in year 6 or 7.  

GC peaked in year 3 due to hard competition with PS2.  The only console this gen that might peak as early as year 3 is Wii U.

The 360 and PS3 peaked late mainly because of the Wii. They are the only systems in history to peak that late in their lives. The only thing that comes close is the Genesis in the U.S., which had a slow start because it was released at the height of the NES's popularity in America, which also had the further complication of Nintendo having a de facto monopoly on third parties at the time (apparently not resolved until 1990 during an FTC probe). The GameCube peaked in 2003 (second full year) in the U.S. and 2002 (first full year) in Japan, which is normal. Unless there are extraordinary or at least unusual circumstances, then systems typically peak in either their first or second full calendar year. Unless MS and Sony wait until 2016 or very late 2015 to drop the prices of the XBO and PS4, then they will likely peak next year. There is nothing that will push them to a fifth- or sixth-year peak.

I'm not saying PS4/XB1 will peak in 2019, but I think that since they started at $400 & $500 then they could peak a bit later.

My 8th gen collection

toastboy44562 said:

When do you think PS5/Xbox 4/Wii3 will come out?

Generations restart typically 5 years after the release of a new console. This generation is very underpowered graphically, especially the Wii U. Adjusted for inflation, this generation has the cheapest consoles given the time they have been out.

I think Nintendo's next handheld will come out in 2016 since the 3DS is already 3 years old and has its remodels already.

There won't be another Sony handheld I don't think.

Wii U will have a successor as quickly as winter 2017 because of low Wii U sales.

Xbox 3 and Playstation 5 should release in 2017/2018 with processing power at least 4X of the consoles today and full backwards compatibility.

Just my toasty thoughts what do you think??

wiiu will need a new console by 2016/17. Sony and ms will launch a new console in 2018 or 2019. And at least 4X stronger? You realize that's nothing for a generational jump right?