By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo's next handheld and console use Power PC like the Wii U?

I think it's crystal clear by now that, whatever Nintendo does with it's next handheld and console, it will be done through one unified platform: NNID. Cross buy will probably be a guarantee, as will cross save, and the system will be at least somewhat cloud based to allow for the security needed to allow for this sort of integration. What I don't know though is how can they do all this without Power PC?

That is to say, the next consoles that Nintendo makes kind of have to be based off of whatever hardware the XBO and PS4 are using. It would be a death sentence not to. I don't think that future iterations of Playstation and Xbox, should they appear, will ever again stray away from the "like a PC" hardware they are using now. That's just the future of consoles, and Nintendo missing out on that for two generations would absolutely kill any hope of third party support for them. But without Power PC, how can Nintendo make the Wii U's successor backwards compatable, yet still cheap but powerful enough?

They talk about not dividing prior Nintendo owners with new ones, but to do that, they absolutely need to make the hardware transition as simple as possible, and though I know literally nothing about hardware or computer jargon, I think I can put it together that changing up the hardware so drastically yet again won't make that easy.

-----

People like to shit on Apple, but when I buy an app, I know that I have it "forever" with no hiccups. (I know it's the same on Andriod) I don't have to run an emulator app running iphone 3G firmware just to use an older app. That needs to happen with the next console, but they also need to stay modern, and I just don't see how both can be easily possible.

I hope it's just my lack of computer knowledge, but I don't think it is. I'm all for Nintendo having a self sufficient platform, just like Disney with it's Disney Channel, but they need to be able to do that without alienating third parties. I will alway say that Nintendo does best when it's an exclusive box, but being a box full of exclusives isn't the same as being a box without multiplats.

-----

Having an immortal Virtual Console is the start of that. I personally don't mind paying $5 for the original LOZ because it's worth it, but I need to be able to take that with me on every Nintendo device I have from then on. I'm not rebuying it for another $5 on the Wii U, then another $5 on the 3DS. I feel like Nintendo agrees, but the constant shifts in hardware means they have to reemulate the same game over and over again to the point where it just doesn't make financial sense to offer it up for free time and time again. They need to one and done it, with with yet another hardware shift, I don't think they can.

I actually think that's why we haven't seen GCN games or N64 games yet. It must obviously take much longer emulate those games, but they haven't even finished rebuilding the NES and SNES libraries. Actually, this may explain why they are putting DS and GBA VC games on the Wii U instead of the 3DS.

If the next Nintendo handheld and console are truely meant to absorb what the Wii U is starting, Power PC or otherwise, it would make sense to put all of that on the Wii U. Wasting dev time putting them on the 3DS would be just that, a waste, since they wouldn't be transferrable (with ease) to the 3DS successor. They will be, in theory, transferable from the much more architecturally similar Wii U. It still doesn't explain the GB virtual console though, but hey, I tried.

-----

All of this is to say that I'm sure Nintendo is thinking of all this and has a solution planned. I just hope it's not a stupid plan. I love Nintendo more for their potencial than their execution much of the time, but it actually feels like they might get it right next time with the things they're saying now. I just hope they're smarter than me and have already figured out a way to cleanly absorb the Wii U into their unified platform without sticking with Power PC.

Around the Network

Nintendo will be smart and keep backward compatibility so yes.

If you gotta choose between backwards compatibility or making it easier for third party studios to port games to your console the choice seems clear...so Nintendo will do the opposite. 

Like Apple, they might use an emulation enviroment to simulate their older systems.

I think Iwata will have to take a deep breath, swallow his spit, and step in front of the camera to tell us the Wii U's successor will not be BC with retail games and some digital titles. I love BC, but it's an anchor around a new console's neck.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
I think Iwata will have to take a deep breath, swallow his spit, and step in front of the camera to tell us the Wii U's successor will not be BC with retail games and some digital titles. I love BC, but it's an anchor around a new console's neck.

I think it's the complete opposite. I think new consoles lose 60% of their value without it. It's a big reason why I can't stomach buying a PS4 or XBO.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo's new console is a rebranded, redesigned Wii U thats overclocked and with more RAM just like Wii was to Gamecube. Also the 3DS successor could be a redesigned Gamepad thats sold seperately and is fully portable.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

PigPen said:
Nintendo will be smart and keep backward compatibility so yes.

Nintendo just needs to add a PowerPC cpu to the x86 CPU. No need to go PowerPC only.

And in lets say 5 years  the WiiU CPU which is  an overclocked Wii CPU times 3 -which is an overclocked GameCube processor from around 1999 or someting should be pretty cheap. (I know that its heavily modified each time but still)

They will ensure backwards compatibility by adding a yet again overclocked WiiU/Wii/GC processor with probably 1 additional core. Why 4 cores?  Because the WiiU uses an ARM Dualcore CPU to handle OS/ Menu and security stuff. This is not needed when they can use the WiiU CPU for stuff like that and they will add a fourth core so they can even have security/menu/OS stuff going on while the WiiU mode uses the 3 other cores that existed in the original WiiU for gaming.

So if it will have BC it will go for X86 + WiiU CPU (a having a different GPU is almost completely irrelevant for BC so no need for the WiiU GPU to be in there. I mean WiiU can also play GC games without emulation!)

Most likely they will just drop backwards compatibility with home consoles. I think a ARM based architecture across both make the most sense for handheld/console architecture. I seriously doubt PowerPC is really suitable for a handheld system. They would need to spend a lot of time modernizing the architecture for the needs of a low power, battery based device. AMD are developing some ARM based designs, so they could provide a design for both systems. ARM is a scalable architecture that is just as prevalent as x86 plus Nintendo already use it for their handhelds.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

There are equal chances of Ninty dropping BC as there are chances of them actually keeping it.. It's 50/50 really!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---