By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2014: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl XLIX

Who will win the Super Bowl?

Who cares? 41 36.61%

That AFC team. 29 25.89%

That NFC team. 5 4.46%

Hahaha, not the Packers! 25 22.32%

See Results. 9 8.04%

Total:109
mornelithe said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

1. The 12th one is for special teams.

2. The Patriots have a history of cheating.

Doesn't matter, there's already a set penalty for this infraction in the rules ($25K to the person responsible).  The league can't just arbitrarily up it, unless it wants to get shafted in the courts again (they have recent precedent fresh in mind).  Again, it also ignores the fact that Aaron Rodgers literally overinflates balls and makes the refs deflate them.  This is a ref issue, sorry, is it shady they were tampered with?  Yes.  Is it a Patriots only issue?  Clearly not, you have an active QB who does the exact opposite, and expects the refs to deal with it. 

Beyond that, again, $25K is the most that can be assessed for this, and the NFL's gonna have to actually prove someone on the Patriots did it.  Kind of surprised there's no actual footage of it, given how many cameras were all over the place.

No, there are separate kicking balls altogether, when there was an odd game pause that night, they were changing out a kickoff ball for a scrimmage ball.  So, for scrimmage balls, there are 24 total, 12 regulars, 12 backups.  What's the pressure of the backups?

The Patriots will likely to get a slap on the wrist like they did for Spygate. However, the Giants gave us all redemption for Spygate. Seahawks will give us justice for Deflategate.

Around the Network

I expect the Patriots to get disqualified and Seahawks awarded the title, thus cancelling the Superbowl.
Instead, we will just get a 4 hour Katy Perry concert.

Burek said:
I expect the Patriots to get disqualified and Seahawks awarded the title, thus cancelling the Superbowl.

They should, they won't cause the SUper Bowl = millions in revenue, but no one will take a Patriots win seriously. The Patriots should also cede their 3 other Super Bowls to the Rams, Panthers, and Eagles.

Shame too cause I actually like the Patriots (not a fan, but enjoyed them) before Spygate, and if they never did do Spygate I would have definitely rooted for them to go 19-0. Instead I rooted for the Giants and now I am rooting for the Seahawks.

Burek said:

That would be ideal. Except just cut the 4 hour Katy Perry concert and just make it a 30 minute award ceremony for the Seahawks.

On to some other's points: It's clear the deflated balls are the Patriots doing. They have been caught up with things like this in the past and didn't get punished for it so they keep doing sly stuff knowing they will probably get away with it or get a measly fine. Despite the score the Patriots still cheated and should be punished for it IMO severely becuase this kind of stuff has happened in the past.

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

I see the Patriots are hellbent on making sure none of their Super Bowl wins come without an asterisk. Guess they love to accessorize?

Around the Network

it seems deflate-gate might not have started last week...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/report-colts-had-inflation-concerns-in-november-matchup-with-patriots/

arcane_chaos said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/report-colts-had-inflation-concerns-in-november-matchup-with-patriots/

I suspect the Patriots may have been doing this ever since the Chiefs game.

For the first quarter of the season, the Patriots were 2-2, Brady had only 4 TD passes, and they lost by almost 30 points to the Chiefs. Many people were calling Brady done.

Then out of nowhere the Patriots lose only one game for the rest of the year (the Bills game doesn't count - it was a rest game), Brady throws 3 TD passes a game, and they start blowing out teams by 15+ points each game. Now they are back at the Super Bowl.

It's just deflated balls, not like they were spying on the Colts or something like they were doing to the Jets in 2007. Not that they would need to spy on the Colts crappy defense

McDonaldsGuy said:
arcane_chaos said:

I suspect the Patriots may have been doing this ever since the Chiefs game.

For the first quarter of the season, the Patriots were 2-2, Brady had only 4 TD passes, and they lost by almost 30 points to the Chiefs. Many people were calling Brady done.

Then out of nowhere the Patriots lose only one game for the rest of the year (the Bills game doesn't count - it was a rest game), Brady throws 3 TD passes a game, and they start blowing out teams by 15+ points each game. Now they are back at the Super Bowl.

They also solified their offensive line and Gronkowski became a bigger part of the offense. Brandon Browner also returned and their defense started to improve as well . . .

Damn didn't think deflate-gate would get THIS big; Fox,MSNBC, and CNN all had Belicick's speech live and all are waiting on Tom Brady's interview as well. This outside pressure is not what they need with the superbowl so close