By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2014: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl XLIX

Who will win the Super Bowl?

Who cares? 41 36.61%

That AFC team. 29 25.89%

That NFC team. 5 4.46%

Hahaha, not the Packers! 25 22.32%

See Results. 9 8.04%

Total:109
RolStoppable said:
KC-OAK 1 CLE-ATL 1 TEN-PHI 2 DET-NE 2
GB-MIN 1 JAC-IND 2 CIN-HOU 1 NYJ-BUF 2
TB-CHI 2 ARI-SEA 2 STL-SD 2 MIA-DEN 2
WAS-SF 2 DAL-NYG 1 BYE 3 BAL-NO 1 by 3

Around the Network

I agree on 3 of 4 AFC titles, they are mostly clear cut, and basically very expected from the start. I will, however, stick with my preseason prediction of Ravens to win. Wild card, I'll say Chiefs and Dolphins. Steelers just don't impress me, as rhey lost to Jets and Bucs, and were really close to losing last night as well...

NFC of course we will disagree, as Eagles will win their division, Dallas will take #6 seed and provide us with the third match between those teams in the WC round.
Saints should win their division, Cards theirs, but both Seahawks and 49ers disappointed too many times this season that I will say neither makes it to the playoffs, giving the berth to NFC North.
Both Detroit and Packers will make it. However, Detroit will win the division, as early reports say that Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews will be suspended for the rest of the season for sodomizing coach McCarthy's pet hamster and posting videos on MySpace...

Burek said:

Both Detroit and Packers will make it. However, Detroit will win the division, as early reports say that Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews will be suspended for the rest of the season for sodomizing coach McCarthy's pet hamster and posting videos on MySpace...

Meh. If they went unpunished for publicly forcing Chicago and Philly to repeatedly take it up the rear, I doubt this video will make any difference.

noname2200 said:
Burek said:

Meh. If they went unpunished for publicly forcing Chicago and Philly to repeatedly take it up the rear, I doubt this video will make any difference.

The difference is that the poor hamster didn't deserve it...

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
Burek said:

Did you watch the games? Didn't look like forcing to me.

Those sad looks of resignation on their faces did not exactly scream "voluntary" to me...

Around the Network

Wow, the highest two guys were 9-5. This was a rough week for everyone.

KC-OAK 1 CLE-ATL 2 TEN-PHI 2 DET-NE 2
TB-CHI 2 ARI-SEA 1 STL-SD 2 MIA-DEN 2
WAS-SF 2 DAL-NYG 1 BYE   BAL-NO 1 by 3

MTZehvor said:
RolStoppable said:
KC-OAK 2 CLE-ATL 1 TEN-PHI 2 DET-NE 1
GB-MIN 1 JAC-IND 2 CIN-HOU 2 NYJ-BUF 2
TB-CHI 2 ARI-SEA 1 STL-SD 2 MIA-DEN 1
WAS-SF 1 DAL-NYG 2 BYE   BAL-NO NO by 5

RolStoppable said:
KC-OAK 1 CLE-ATL 2 TEN-PHI 2 DET-NE 2
TB-CHI 1 ARI-SEA 2 STL-SD 1 MIA-DEN 2
WAS-SF 2 DAL-NYG 1 BYE   BAL-NO BAL by 3

Just hoping to break into the top 16 at this point

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

MTZehvor said:
DolPhanTendo said:

I do watch every Miami game. And K.C. scores were due once again to special teams blunders. Sorry once again you didnt watch anything check the box score. Also during that K.C. game we were missing huge pieces defense. But like USUAL Pats get all the excuses. So what was N.E. excuse from getting whooped worse by the same team? Im all ears. Patriots get ALL the excuses my team sucks. And knowing from your comments you get all your ammo from NFL Network. Good job

And just to let you know i missed a full week the week where i got 9 right in my other pick'ems pull

That isn't at all what you said. You said "special teams scores" not "special teams blunders leading to scores."

Regardless, of course I don't watch Miami games. I'm a Patriots' fan. And I don't even have cable, let alone NFL Network. Anyway, like I've emphasized over and over, my point isn't to say the Dolphins suck. My point isn't even to say Miami's a bad team. My point is that you're entirely too high on the Dolphins for marginally improving when New England has done that and more. 

Miami's defense may have improved. New England's passing game, rushing game, pass defense, and rush defense have all improved significantly. That's why they've absolutely destroyed the 3 other division leaders in the AFC over the past six weeks after getting run out of the building in KC. Miami hasn't done anything that's close to being that impressive. Your best win since week 1 is the 6-4 Chargers who couldn't muster less than 20 points against Oakland.

I don't have any excuse for getting blown out by KC; NE played straight up terrible there and deserved to lose. I will say, though, that they haven't loss since, playing against a six game stretch that included three good teams, one mediocre team, and two bad teams. Miami, meanwhile, since starting 2-2, has gone 4-2, with one or possibly two good teams (depending on how good Detroit really is, I'm a little less than convinced of their status at this point but 7-3 is 7-3), two or three mediocre teams, and two terrible teams.

So yeah; SoS over that time span is tougher for NE, and yet not only do the Patriots have a better record by two games through that stretch, they've also only been seriously challenged in one of those games. Is Miami a good team? Definitely, and I expect them to give NE a run for their money. Do I think New England is going to get dominated by a team with a generally inept offense in their own building, where they haven't lost since 2012 and where Miami hasn't won against Brady since 2005? Call me a biased fan, but I'll be picking against that.

Since you're so sure, however, why not make a friendly bet? If the Dolphins beat the Patriots by double digits again (seems like a fair interpretation of the word "domination") you can have sig control for a month. If not, then I get sig control for a month.

I'm not so sure reason why i will not bet. I think it is a bad omen to bet on your team, one thing I never do. I just say friendly I told so is good enough.