By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2014: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl XLIX

Who will win the Super Bowl?

Who cares? 41 36.61%

That AFC team. 29 25.89%

That NFC team. 5 4.46%

Hahaha, not the Packers! 25 22.32%

See Results. 9 8.04%

Total:109
MTZehvor said:
mornelithe said:
DolPhanTendo said:

Are they nuch better than Denver's? To answer yes they are. They are top 2 Defense overall, number 2 against the pass, number 3 in scoring defense, And number 5 in sacks. Dion Jordan can cover Gronk showed it last year. Misi being healthy and since Jones as come off suspension we are number one in all the those catagories. N.E. will get dominated again 

Only a sith deals in absolutes.  It'll be a far more competitive game than the first in the season with a inconsistent O-line, Gronk fully healthy, and 80+ degree weather which history shows heavily, heavily favors Miami.

It'll probably be a good game, no question about that here. Dolphins usually play New England tough even when they're huge underdogs, so I'm expecting it to be closer than the last few Patriots games. But that's as far as it goes; saying New England is going to get dominated on their own home turf in December is lulz-worthy. The Patriots have improved so much since that week 1 game that the present day version and the beginning of the season version could be mistaken for entirely different teams.

It's also worth noting that before we proclaim Miami's defense as the immovable object that will suddenly shut down the Patriots offense, the Dolphins really haven't been that impressive against generally any offense that isn'tt utter garbage. 27 points to Green Bay (including giving up a game winning touchdown at the end), 34 to the Chiefs, 29 to the Bills. Shutting out the Chargers certainly earns high marks (even if the Chargers offense now can't even put up 20 on Oakland), and shutting out the incompetent Week 1 Patriots in the second half is good as well, but the Dolphins defense is by no means some bastion of greatness. If the Chiefs can score 5 touchdowns on the Dolphins, I have some serious doubts that the vastly improved Patriots can at least avoid being dominated on their own home turf in December.

Does anyone watch the games or just see the final score. Green Bay has been scoring in the 50's so 27 looks pretty stout.Buffalo and K.C. both had special teams scores so take off some points there. Plus like i said before once MISI andJONES started playing together our defense has become dominant sorry. Maybe next time you watch games instead of using the final score. 

Around the Network

So Ahmad Brooks is being a sulky little bitch, and benching himself rather than share playing time. Get that money man!

DolPhanTendo said:
MTZehvor said:

It'll probably be a good game, no question about that here. Dolphins usually play New England tough even when they're huge underdogs, so I'm expecting it to be closer than the last few Patriots games. But that's as far as it goes; saying New England is going to get dominated on their own home turf in December is lulz-worthy. The Patriots have improved so much since that week 1 game that the present day version and the beginning of the season version could be mistaken for entirely different teams.

It's also worth noting that before we proclaim Miami's defense as the immovable object that will suddenly shut down the Patriots offense, the Dolphins really haven't been that impressive against generally any offense that isn'tt utter garbage. 27 points to Green Bay (including giving up a game winning touchdown at the end), 34 to the Chiefs, 29 to the Bills. Shutting out the Chargers certainly earns high marks (even if the Chargers offense now can't even put up 20 on Oakland), and shutting out the incompetent Week 1 Patriots in the second half is good as well, but the Dolphins defense is by no means some bastion of greatness. If the Chiefs can score 5 touchdowns on the Dolphins, I have some serious doubts that the vastly improved Patriots can at least avoid being dominated on their own home turf in December.

Does anyone watch the games or just see the final score. Green Bay has been scoring in the 50's so 27 looks pretty stout.Buffalo and K.C. both had special teams scores so take off some points there. Plus like i said before once MISI andJONES started playing together our defense has become dominant sorry. Maybe next time you watch games instead of using the final score. 

In that same vein, the Pats have avg'd 40pts per games, since week 4.  Point is, Week 1, was 10 weeks ago, and things have changed dramatically.  Again, doesn't mean the Pats or Dolphins will win, but I expect a much better game all around.

Aaaaand ballgame

DolPhanTendo said:
MTZehvor said:
mornelithe said:
DolPhanTendo said:

Are they nuch better than Denver's? To answer yes they are. They are top 2 Defense overall, number 2 against the pass, number 3 in scoring defense, And number 5 in sacks. Dion Jordan can cover Gronk showed it last year. Misi being healthy and since Jones as come off suspension we are number one in all the those catagories. N.E. will get dominated again 

Only a sith deals in absolutes.  It'll be a far more competitive game than the first in the season with a inconsistent O-line, Gronk fully healthy, and 80+ degree weather which history shows heavily, heavily favors Miami.

You know, I'm having a hard time taking the "you should actually watch some games" seriously from the guy who can't even break .500 on predicting games.

Regardless, Green Bay has put 50+ points on both Chicago and Philly, subpar defenses at best. Their average PPG is in the low 30s, making the Dolphins feat by no means that impressive.

Kansas City scored 5 offensive touchdowns on Miami. 3 were passes from Alex Smith, and then a rushing touchdown apiece from Davis and Gray. So yeah, no idea where you're getting that special teams score from.

Most of all, though, the Dolphins haven't really impressed me against any good offenses. San Diego has become garbage as of late, Detroit's offense is generally mediocre, and neither Chicago, Jacksonville, or Buffalo is anything to write home about. If the Dolphins can keep Denver's offense at the level that they've been doing for the aforementioned mediocre-bad teams this week, then I'll start to take notice.

And geez, if you're going to argue "they've improved since the start of the season," then just take a look at New England. Averaging over 40 points per game over their last 6, holding Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck led offenses to 21 and 20 points respectively, and now a running game that seemingly came from nowhere to boot. The Patriots haven't lost in New England since 2012, and the Dolphins haven't won on the road against a Brady led team since 2005.

Again, none of this is to say that the Patriots are going to run the Dolphins out of the building; it'll be a good game. But if you're seriously going to suggest that Miami is the favorite to walk into New England and dominate, then yeah...you may want to do a bit of that game watching. Specifically anything that isn't Dolphins highlight reels on youtube.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Aaaaand ballgame

Say what? This is a fantastic game! I love it when the underdog puts some heat on out of surprise instead of getting blown out.

Hell I'd be HAPPY to lose my pick tonight, screw it :D

Arkaign said:
noname2200 said:
Aaaaand ballgame

Say what? This is a fantastic game! I love it when the underdog puts some heat on out of surprise instead of getting blown out.

Hell I'd be HAPPY to lose my pick tonight, screw it :D

What can I say, the Titans actually showed life for the first time all season. It happens! I will be bummed if they pull it out though, because if yesterday taught us anything it's that this weekend was Opposite Weekend.

Impressive catch there. Way to take advantage of those runt-sized secondaries!

I love the heart this Tennessee team is showing on both sides of the ball. That QB is really lighting a fire and that end zone TD was GOLDEN, he put it precisely at the height of the receivers vertical range, beating double coverage for a brass balls score.

This is the best Monday night game I've seen in a while! Great job TEN even if they can't hang on all the way. I think they just might though.