By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2014: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl XLIX

Who will win the Super Bowl?

Who cares? 41 36.61%

That AFC team. 29 25.89%

That NFC team. 5 4.46%

Hahaha, not the Packers! 25 22.32%

See Results. 9 8.04%

Total:109
mornelithe said:
burninmylight said:

So we're arguing (1) over semantics (2) on a message board, where written word is not as easy to interpret as oral, and to top it off, (3) it's coming from a guy who said English is not his first language and he's not pretending to have mastered it. I think we should just agree to stop this here.

You're the one who's arguing, I'm simply quoting what he said.  English may not be his first language, but I understood it.  Maybe some poor punctuation in there, but, you can't really read it any other way, frankly.

argue

[ahr-gyoo]

verb (used without object), argued, arguing.

to present reasons for or against a thing:
He argued in favor of capital punishment.
to contend in oral disagreement; dispute:
The senator argued with the president about the new tax bill.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arguing?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic

Dude, you keep doing it and you're not even realizing it. It's silly and superfluous. It's over, you can call yourself the victor already because I don't care anymore, geez.

Around the Network

I think despite my Dallas team folding today and Houston failing to pull a victory over the Eagles, I'll end with one of the better records on the week. I think nearly everyone picked SF v the Rams, so that's not bad. 10-3 if the Colts beat the Giants.

As far as the Cowboys, I'm still impressed with the defense honestly in today's solid L, they were able to hold the Cards @ 14 and under for most of the game, but were simply asked to take the field far too many times to hold out indefinitely. Without Romo, Doug Free, Sean Lee, Justin Durant (#1 tackler for Dallas this year), and now more minor injuries to Tyrone Crawford and Rolando McClain, I think the Cowboys are probably aimed at something like 10-6, and the Eagles probably similar. I don't have any idea if that will be good enough for home field this year. The NFC does seem pretty balanced, with only the Cardinals remaining to have a good skid. The Cardinals are good but at the same time not nearly 7-1 good. They were inches away from falling to the Eagles at home, and Dallas played so absolutely horribly today on offense that it should have been 28-10 by the end of 1H, not 14-10 until near the end of the game.

I think the Packers are a good bet to have a late-season run, and wouldn't count the Seahawks out either in that group of potentially dangerous teams.

Chris Hu said:
Big Ben is having another pretty good game I'm pretty sure its his best two game stretch as a pro during the regular season.

Actually I think that is the best back-to-back 2-game stretch of any QB in NFL history going by scoring at least.

RolStoppable said:
Arkaign said:
I think despite my Dallas team folding today and Houston failing to pull a victory over the Eagles, I'll end with one of the better records on the week. I think nearly everyone picked SF v the Rams, so that's not bad. 10-3 if the Colts beat the Giants.

(...)

You think? With such a great spreadsheet there is no reason for guesswork.

Ah yes, fantastic work that is! Thanks, never actually clicked that link before. 

I will leapfrog into the top 10, as nobody has picked the NYG that can prevent it should the upset occur (they will drop an additional game WITH me, lol).

I better get real good moving forward to stand a chance though.

2 losses in a row, at least one of them was actually against a good team.

Around the Network
Arkaign said:
Chris Hu said:
Big Ben is having another pretty good game I'm pretty sure its his best two game stretch as a pro during the regular season.

Actually I think that is the best back-to-back 2-game stretch of any QB in NFL history going by scoring at least.

Yes he has the record for most tochdowns thrown in a two game stretch now and he has to be right up there when it comes to yards thrown in two game strech also.  Not sure what the record for two games is but the record for most yards in three game is 1,258 yards by Tom Brady in 2011.  Since the Steelers play the Jets next week he should easily get 300+ yards but the game will more then likely be won by the Steelers pretty soon enough so I doubt he will break the record of most yards in three games.

RolStoppable said:
NobleTeam360 said:
2 losses in a row, at least one of them was actually against a good team.

There's always a silver lining on the horizon.

So the Jaguars are next? That's not going to be easy. They did beat the 5-3 Browns, so they know how to take care of Cleveland QBs.

Yeah I see a bunch of Dallas fans thinking the Cowboys will just walk over the Jaguars but I don't think that's the case at all. It'll be competetive, and if Dallas doesn't have Romo again then I'll go ahead and chalk that game up in the loss column. 

Well, Foles is out for about 6 weeks, so it's time to resurrect Sanchez's career. I just feel that the guy got railroaded unfairly, the entire Jets handling of the Sanchez/Tebow combination was horrific, and they are now reaping what they've sown with Geno Smith and Snoop Dogg...

And Matt Barkley finally gets to watch the game without having to pay for the ticket...

Burek said:
Well, Foles is out for about 6 weeks, so it's time to resurrect Sanchez's career. I just feel that the guy got railroaded unfairly, the entire Jets handling of the Sanchez/Tebow combination was horrific, and they are now reaping what they've sown with Geno Smith and Snoop Dogg...

And Matt Barkley finally gets to watch the game without having to pay for the ticket...

Yeah...but...

Chris Hu said:
Arkaign said:
Chris Hu said:

Yes he has the record for most tochdowns thrown in a two game stretch now and he has to be right up there when it comes to yards thrown in two game strech also.  Not sure what the record for two games is but the record for most yards in three game is 1,258 yards by Tom Brady in 2011.  Since the Steelers play the Jets next week he should easily get 300+ yards but the game will more then likely be won by the Steelers pretty soon enough so I doubt he will break the record of most yards in three games.

For the season he is 2 back of manning and tied with 2 others for most TD passes.  He also has a 110 QB rating and more YPG than Brady with the same TD to INT ratio.  It's also worth noting the Ravens were the #2 D before this game and the Colts had had a great 4 game stretch defensively before playing the Steelers.  So he's had possibly the 2 greatest performances in a row in NFL history against 2 very respectable opponents.  HOWEVER these next 2 games will be very telling because the Steelers have a history of not taking care of business against bad teams.  See the Tampa game and the close Jags game just this year.  Tomlin has to get his team up going into the bye.  If they can make 8-3 and stay focused they have a good chance at a #3 seed.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers