By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us PS4 has already eclipsed its PS3 predecessor

binary solo said:
jlmurph2 said:
binary solo said:

So the standard for a
remaster to be considered wanted it to break sales records now?

I guess it's really difficult for some people to accept, even though Sony had officially confirmed it, that about 1/3 of PS4 owners never owned a PS3. TLOU:R is aimed particularly at these people. And given TLOU has sold to less than 10% of PS3 install base it's a pretty good bet that a fair few PS4 owners who did own PS3 didn't get around to picking up TLOU.

I thought they got that figure from new online accounts made on PS4, which wouldn't be the same thing as "never owned a PS3".

Possibly, I thought is was from a market research survey, but yeah if it's new PSN accounts then it is definitely not the same thing and actually bordering on lying the way Sony expressed it. My youngest son for instance created a new PSN account when we got PS4.

Yeah I was thinking about people in the same household using one home console. If that's the case and they counted new online accounts it seems they're just trying to push the number up higher. I do remember some kind of poll though about people not even owning a 7th gen console though.

Around the Network
QuintonMcLeod said:
overman1 said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
binary solo said:
DarkD said:
LOL the dev is using a random figure like multiplayer users? That proves that it was an unwanted remasterake. If they had good sales they would be boasting about having record sales, not some random number like "multiplayer participants".

From the sounds of it, TLOU multiplayer wasn't popular to begin with, so it was obviously gonna be easy to pass it.

So the standard for a remaster to be considered wanted it to break sales records now?

I guess it's really difficult for some people to accept, even though Sony had officially confirmed it, that about 1/3 of PS4 owners never owned a PS3. TLOU:R is aimed particularly at these people. And given TLOU has sold to less than 10% of PS3 install base it's a pretty good bet that a fair few PS4 owners who did own PS3 didn't get around to picking up TLOU.

No one is saying TLoU is a bad game. In fact, it's a really good game. However, this "remaster" was simply overhyped, and so far it doesn't appear as though consumer demand is matching that hype.

Dude...lol

Consumer demand is DEFINITELY matching the hype.

This game has held the #1 spot on Amazon bestseller for 2 days straight. Trust me, the demand is there

That isn't very indicative of the demand for the game.

Yes, it is.

Whether yuo like it or not, this game will sell, you dont have to buy it because clearly you are a Nintendo fan infact i believe this game is actually moving consoles too because the PS4 console moved from the 11th spot on the Amazon best seller to the 5th spot and it has been that way since this game came out. So yes, the demand is very much there. If you cant acknowledge that; your cup of tea. 

overman1 said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

That isn't very indicative of the demand for the game.

Yes, it is.

Whether yuo like it or not, this game will sell, you dont have to buy it because clearly you are a Nintendo fan infact i believe this game is actually moving consoles too because the PS4 console moved from the 11th spot on the Amazon best seller to the 5th spot and it has been that way since this game came out. So yes, the demand is very much there. If you cant acknowledge that; your cup of tea. 

You can check other Amazons as well, the bundle is definitely moving some units in Europe, not massively but it's definitely moving some (it's number 16 in the UK right now for example).

overman1 said:

Yes, it is.

I'm not saying the game won't sell. However it being a blockbuster hit and selling over a million within the first week is highly unlikely.

And lets say it does happen. Lets say it does sell over a million within its first week. What then?  We can expect other companies to follow suit with this, and soon the PS4 would be chalked full of "remasters". PS4 owners wouldn't be too happy, just like they aren't too happy about the huge influx of indie titles on their system.

QuintonMcLeod said:
overman1 said:

Yes, it is.

I'm not saying the game won't sell. However it being a blockbuster hit and selling over a million within the first week is highly unlikely.

And lets say it does happen. Lets say it does sell over a million within its first week. What then?  We can expect other companies to follow suit with this, and soon the PS4 would be chalked full of "remasters". PS4 owners wouldn't be too happy, just like they aren't too happy about the huge influx of indie titles on their system.

lol I never said it would be a blockbuster hit, I said it would sell well. and it kept to that predition. TLOU already sold 7 million copys on the PS3 and I am cool with that. If it can sell 2 million on the PS4, that will be more than satisfying. Also this is the vey first remake of a PS exclusive. Where did you get the news of the PS4 being "chalked full " of remasters. Isnt MS coming out with the Master Chief Collections? the same ONE number of remasters that the PS4 has? Also, what makes you think  PS4 owners are mad about the indies on the system? the typical PS4 owner knows that more exclusives are coming in the future and there are a lot of third party games still here. I really think people wouldnt be so discouraging if the PS4 wasnt outselling their favourite console. 

PS: No Man's Sky is an indie game; guess the influx of indies isnt really a bad thing if we can get something like that every 2 years on the indie side. guess who is clamouring for it now: Xbox fanboys dissing the PS4 about indies...

Around the Network

People still furious over this game. They've become absolutely obsessed with it :)

QuintonMcLeod said:

let's get real.. there really are only a handful of titles that are truly worthy of a remaster.. and as far as being a PS4 owner.. I am quite happy thank you.  I know the exclusives are coming, that's a given, but the influx of indies are also a great addition because I also get to play a bunch of stuff to fill in the time gaps of title releases.  Just because there are indies popping up on ps4 doesn't mean that's all it offers.. sheesh.. you still get all those great 3rd parties too.. there's really only so much time to play so many different games..

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

overman1 said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
overman1 said:

Yes, it is.

1) lol I never said it would be a blockbuster hit, I said it would sell well. and it kept to that predition. TLOU already sold 7 million copys on the PS3 and I am cool with that. If it can sell 2 million on the PS4, that will be more than satisfying.

2) Also this is the vey first remake of a PS exclusive. Where did you get the news of the PS4 being "chalked full " of remasters. Isnt MS coming out with the Master Chief Collections? the same ONE number of remasters that the PS4 has?

3) Also, what makes you think  PS4 owners are mad about the indies on the system? the typical PS4 owner knows that more exclusives are coming in the future and there are a lot of third party games still here. I really think people wouldnt be so discouraging if the PS4 wasnt outselling their favourite console. 

4) PS: No Man's Sky is an indie game; guess the influx of indies isnt really a bad thing if we can get something like that every 2 years on the indie side. guess who is clamouring for it now: Xbox fanboys dissing the PS4 about indies...

Lets address your points separately, shall we?

1) Well, "Will sell well" and "has sold well" are two different meanings. So, whatever "prediction" you're referring to, I'm certain it's not about TLoU:RE, because there aren't any official sales numbers on that game yet.

2) I never said the PS4 was chalked full of remasters. I was speaking theoretically. If TLoU sells a bunch, it will certainly lead to other companies following suit. As for the Master Chief Collection: That is a collection of games. Not only that, but Halo 1 and Halo 2 were given more than just increased resolutions and better textures. Also, it's not called "Remastered". By all intent and purposes, the Master Chief Collection seems like a better deal since it's 4 games for the price of one.

3) I hear many Sony fans complain about how they bought the PS4 for a next-gen experience while only being promised indie titles. Makes sense to me. People were promised 1080p/60fps graphics and a huge generational leap, but instead, were given indie games that don't look any more dazzling than what the Wii U can produce. As far as the future is concerned, buying a console for its potential future games is a terrible reason to buy a console. You buy a console for the games it has available right now. In the future, the PS4 may end up with a price drop with an decent exclusive pack-in. Or, on the other hand, the PS4 may never get the games you want. You honestly don't know. Also, who cares who's piece of plastic outsells another's piece of plastic? You don't work for Sony and I certainly don't work for Nintendo. Heck, I own a PS3 and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I also have a beefy gaming rig in which I can play 3rd party games in 1080p/60fps or even 4k resolutions. Why care about how well the PS4 is selling or how poorly the Xbone is selling? Just play your games and be happy.

4) Who cares? I certainly don't. Sony fans are the one's complaining about Sony focusing more on indie titles than AAA titles. I honestly think indies are the future of the industry and I definitely welcome the indie scene. 

BillyBong said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

let's get real.. there really are only a handful of titles that are truly worthy of a remaster.. and as far as being a PS4 owner.. I am quite happy thank you.  I know the exclusives are coming, that's a given, but the influx of indies are also a great addition because I also get to play a bunch of stuff to fill in the time gaps of title releases.  Just because there are indies popping up on ps4 doesn't mean that's all it offers.. sheesh.. you still get all those great 3rd parties too.. there's really only so much time to play so many different games..

You don't need to explain this to me, because I honestly do not care. TLoU is a port. No more and no less. Yes, it's a great game, but it's a cash-grab. The game is barely a year old and they're already calling it a remaster. That's certainly anti-consumer, because they're advertising something that's not really there. Giving people the false idea that the game was was given a "remastered" style polish, when in fact, it was only given an HD boost with free DLC. Very similar to the Zone of Enders HD port or even the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. However, with the MGS:HD collection, I was given 3 games for a nice affordable price. With Zone of Enders, it was nice and cheap (because it was just an HD port). Heck, even with Wind Waker HD, it was given the "HD" moniker and not "Remaster", because that's what it was. Nintendo certainly weren't trying to oversell the game, and they certainly weren't trying to money-grab a year-old game.

As for Indie games: I don't care. I like indie games and I believe they are the future of gaming. In respect to what you said, I certainly agree! However, it's a fact that Sony fans are complaining about the influx of indie games and the lesser emphasis on AAA titles. 

Kyuu said:
daredevil.shark said:
Tlou multiplayer was boring. I played 300 hrs of uncharted 3. I didn't bothered to play tlou multilayer for 10 hr.

We cant get any more different! I haven't enjoyed any multplayer game in my life more than The Last of Us. Never got into Uncharted's.

To each his own.