By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us PS4 has already eclipsed its PS3 predecessor

legend92(3) said:

Naughty Dog’s Drew Thaler has confirmed that The Last of Us: Remastered has already eclipsed its PlayStation 3 predecessor in terms of active multiplayer participants.

Thaler confirmed the milestone on Twitter just two days after the PlayStation 4 revamp of last year’s post-apocalyptic horror hit stores in the U.S.

LINK

Not to bad for an "unnecessary" remake. 

So that means more players at once at the same time online? Cause this statement doesn't make much sense unless the game sold likely over 3 million in 2 days. Unless I'm reading this very wrong.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
legend92(3) said:

Not to bad for an "unnecessary" remake. 

I am sure you are pointing this out for the sceptics, as anyone who played it had their eyes peeled open as to what 1080p/60fps can do to an existing game (with other enhancements to match)... after playing the PS4 version this truly becomes the only way to experience this game.

I have not tried the MP portion yet, maybe after I finish the story!

DarkD said:
sergiodaly said:
In the title, eclipse = hyperbole

BTW, bought the digital version of the remaster... Just started, but I have to ask, is anyone else having their ps4 be get more loud as the game launch and runs? My ps4 is so quiet in bf4 and warframe witch I play alot, but in this, it starts to run louder, even in the title screen with no gameplay... Same happen to you or is my ps4 having some kind of seizure?

Did you get a launch PS4?  There were numerous launch issues with the console, which mainly were Amazons fault.  I remember reading that one of them was that the cooling fan sounded like a jet engine or something.  Maybe it's only now acting up on your system.  

I'm in Europe and I bought it in February. Its not that loud, but is noticeable, and starts right away after I enter the TLoU:R. That is why I asked because it never happened to me before.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
sergiodaly said:
In the title, eclipse = hyperbole

BTW, bought the digital version of the remaster... Just started, but I have to ask, is anyone else having their ps4 be get more loud as the game launch and runs? My ps4 is so quiet in bf4 and warframe witch I play alot, but in this, it starts to run louder, even in the title screen with no gameplay... Same happen to you or is my ps4 having some kind of seizure?

dont worry, mine playing infamous was loud in first 2 minutes when i started the game all the time , same for killzone, playing small indies and ff 14 runs silent until it gets hot because its summer and runs louder.

Yeah... My living room is hot, I'm playing in my underwear... But I play warframe and bf4 and this does not happen. Will turn on the ac to see if things get better.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

jlmurph2 said:
binary solo said:
DarkD said:
LOL the dev is using a random figure like multiplayer users? That proves that it was an unwanted remasterake. If they had good sales they would be boasting about having record sales, not some random number like "multiplayer participants".

From the sounds of it, TLOU multiplayer wasn't popular to begin with, so it was obviously gonna be easy to pass it.

So the standard for a remaster to be considered wanted it to break sales records now?

I guess it's really difficult for some people to accept, even though Sony had officially confirmed it, that about 1/3 of PS4 owners never owned a PS3. TLOU:R is aimed particularly at these people. And given TLOU has sold to less than 10% of PS3 install base it's a pretty good bet that a fair few PS4 owners who did own PS3 didn't get around to picking up TLOU.

I thought they got that figure from new online accounts made on PS4, which wouldn't be the same thing as "never owned a PS3".

Possibly, I thought is was from a market research survey, but yeah if it's new PSN accounts then it is definitely not the same thing and actually bordering on lying the way Sony expressed it. My youngest son for instance created a new PSN account when we got PS4.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I'm sure it will also sell very well !

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

overman1 said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
binary solo said:
DarkD said:
LOL the dev is using a random figure like multiplayer users? That proves that it was an unwanted remasterake. If they had good sales they would be boasting about having record sales, not some random number like "multiplayer participants".

From the sounds of it, TLOU multiplayer wasn't popular to begin with, so it was obviously gonna be easy to pass it.

So the standard for a remaster to be considered wanted it to break sales records now?

I guess it's really difficult for some people to accept, even though Sony had officially confirmed it, that about 1/3 of PS4 owners never owned a PS3. TLOU:R is aimed particularly at these people. And given TLOU has sold to less than 10% of PS3 install base it's a pretty good bet that a fair few PS4 owners who did own PS3 didn't get around to picking up TLOU.

No one is saying TLoU is a bad game. In fact, it's a really good game. However, this "remaster" was simply overhyped, and so far it doesn't appear as though consumer demand is matching that hype.

Dude...lol

Consumer demand is DEFINITELY matching the hype.

This game has held the #1 spot on Amazon bestseller for 2 days straight. Trust me, the demand is there

That isn't very indicative of the demand for the game.

DarkD said:

All I'm saying is that multiplayer users is a totally random figure to be using here.  They could choose digital downloads, they could get sales numbers from amazon, or they could wait for NPD to come out.  The amount of multiplayer users is probably the worst metric I can possibly think of for this.  

Of course only a small amount of people bought the game on the PS3.  Shooters don't have that big of a market presence.  In all of PS3s history all of its shooters sell around 5 million.  Xbox a console known almost exclusively for its shooters sold what was it, 10 million for halo 3?  The unpenetrated market on the PS3 is probably really around 30%.  I'd say best case scenario you make 2 million sales.  Most likely you will have just shy of a million sales.  

*cough* 7 million *cough* (so far)

I'm interested in knowing how it's doing sales wise. I bought it day 1, when GameStop had a lot of copies, went back 2 days later and they only had 1 copy left. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I feel like the game is doing a lot better than preorders would suggest.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DarkD said:
binary solo said:
DarkD said:

All I'm saying is that multiplayer users is a totally random figure to be using here.  They could choose digital downloads, they could get sales numbers from amazon, or they could wait for NPD to come out.  The amount of multiplayer users is probably the worst metric I can possibly think of for this.  

Of course only a small amount of people bought the game on the PS3.  Shooters don't have that big of a market presence.  In all of PS3s history all of its shooters sell around 5 million.  Xbox a console known almost exclusively for its shooters sold what was it, 10 million for halo 3?  The unpenetrated market on the PS3 is probably really around 30%.  I'd say best case scenario you make 2 million sales.  Most likely you will have just shy of a million sales.  

It sold a small amount relative to the install base, but an awful lot relative to other exclusive titles. 7m in just over a year isn't anything to scoff at, especially for a new IP. More than Gears of War in-fact.

The 360 definitely has a larger overall presence in the shooter market than the PS3, but they can still sell well on the PS3. It's worth noting though that TLOU isn't really a traditional shooter.