By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Super_Boom said:

Crunchyroll Anime Awards Round 2 is up for voting! Actually probably has been for a while but I just got the email.

Looks like this round is for Best Drama, Slice of Life, Action, Comedy, and Ongoing Series.

Final Round will be coming in the next few days.

Final round has best hero category and I'll make sure to tell everyone who they must vote for 

Around the Network

Did have the most productive day in a long while. Took a good chunk out of my backlog. Maybe I'll actually manage to get rid of all of it before my vacation.

It's kind of ironic that my trip Japan will completely fill up my backlog again. Watching anime is probably the last thing I will do there.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Super_Boom said:

Anyways, I convinced a good friend of mine to watch Made in Abyss recently. She loved it...but while talking about final impressions, I realized she was referring to Nanachi as "he" several times, and she asked why I was using "she". We got into a mild argument over that character's gender...and when I went to look it up to prove her wrong (I avoided spoilers thankfully)...I found that apparently that character's gender is intentionally left ambiguous, if that source was right.

To people who watched Made in Abyss, am I crazy, or is she crazy? Or are we both crazy? 

Also on a side note, I found out that Bondrewd has the same voice as Yoshikage in Jojo. No wonder it gives me chills.

I've known about the gender thing for awhile but I do find it interesting that a female visualized Nanachi as male.  Speaking for myself, I will always see Nanachi as female, even if the mangaka himself said otherwise.  I doubt I'm alone, either, considering Nanachi was runner-up for Best Girl last season on r/anime (should have won).

Doesn't matter, though, really.  Either way, Nanachi is awesome.

I had a much harder time with the manga for Houseki no Kuni using male pronouns because the gems have no gender.  

pokoko said:

I've known about the gender thing for awhile but I do find it interesting that a female visualized Nanachi as male.  Speaking for myself, I will always see Nanachi as female, even if the mangaka himself said otherwise.  I doubt I'm alone, either, considering Nanachi was runner-up for Best Girl last season on r/anime (should have won).

Doesn't matter, though, really.  Either way, Nanachi is awesome.

I had a much harder time with the manga for Houseki no Kuni using male pronouns because the gems have no gender.  

I think her logic basically boiled down the character being shirtless most of the time and preferring female physical contact (which I feel works either way)...and that the series already has a precedent for feminine looking male characters (I feel ashamed I didn't realize that blue haired kid was a trap until a later rewatch). Personally I think she just ships Nanachi/Mitty and doesn't want a yuri pairing. Eh.

The bolded is key though.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

When you know you got yourself a homophobe^^

Nanachi looks and behaves extremely feminine throughout. If it is a boy then it's an especially effeminate one and at that point it doesn't even matter since we won't see any gender.

Gender in anime has generally no meaning. If they make a completely female character with female voice, female characteristics and then say it's a boy it doesn't hold any weight whatsoever. Just like having a 6 year old loli and claiming she is 3000 years old. It's meaningless.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I noticed that still nobody is watching Kokkoku. Let me remind you with the best OP of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhBA6ynorvc

Nothing on the horizon that interests me except for Batoman.

Hoping for 'Kaguya wants to be confessed to' and 'Tomo-chan wa onnanoko' anime adaptations.

OTBWY said:

Hoping for 'Kaguya wants to be confessed to' and 'Tomo-chan wa onnanoko' anime adaptations.

Me and you both, especially kaguya.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

uran10 said:
OTBWY said:

Me and you both, especially kaguya.

Kaguya wants to be.. is a really good romcom. More comedy than romance.

Mike321 said:
Super_Boom said:

Crunchyroll Anime Awards Round 2 is up for voting! Actually probably has been for a while but I just got the email.

Looks like this round is for Best Drama, Slice of Life, Action, Comedy, and Ongoing Series.

Final Round will be coming in the next few days.

Final round has best hero category and I'll make sure to tell everyone who they must vote for