By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

osed125 said:
It's been a looooong time since I watched/read a good anime/manga. I recently wanted to pick something up but I can't really find anything interesting.

I'm kind of fucked in the head, the mangas and animes I enjoy the most are gore stuff like Berserk and Gantz or more adult psychological stuff like Monster, 20th Century Boys, Elfen Lied and such.

Any recommendations? I tried to read Tokyo Ghoul but for some reason it didn't picked my interest.

As everyone has said Parasyte sounds like it fis what you want. It is similar in Tokyo Ghoul in some aspects, but it does do a lot of things better.

Ergo Proxy is a very good psychological anime, a little old, but it's aged well.

Higurashi is great, very bloody and each arc has a definite purpose to fulfill that you won't get until after you finish it.

Also, if you want somethin that messes with your head, Serial Experiments Lain is very nice, it can be very cryptic at times, but as long as you pay attention you should be fine.

A movie I'd recommend is Perfect Blue as it really digs deep into the psyche of the MC as she becomes an idol and realistically avoid certain things that happen in the industry. Directed by Satoshi Kon, if you like this give other things directed by him a chance like Paprika.

As for mangas.

Dead Tube is one that I think you'll like as it is very psychological and does not hold anything back with a lot of intense stuff going on from the very first chapter.

Oyasumi Punpun is one that I highly recommend. It's a masterpiece that will never get an anime adaptation and is very mature in a realistic way and definetly messes with your head. It's one, if not the most depressing thing I've ever read.

Uzumaki is pretty messed up, can't really see spirals the same way because of it and from Junji Ito, you know you're getting something good.

Fire Punch is a good one that started recently too, its pretty tragic as well.

Around the Network

Don't forget today is Takkyuu Musume day!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Super_Boom said:

Keijo: This is to my weekly anime what Fairy Tail is to my weekly manga. I think the novely is wearing a bit thin for me. I enjoy it enough to keep watching, but not enough to think much about it when it's over.

I don't know if you're reading the manga, too, but it's much superior.  The anime cut out the entire beginning and just tossed them into the school.  It took out the motivations of the main characters, resulting in a lot less depth.  It took out the initial interactions between the two main girls, where Judo-girl didn't want to be friends with the main character.  We missed watching her character open up.  The result is that the anime is much more shallow.

Haikyuu is having a stellar season. Only one match and 10 total episodes, but six episodes in, they have done an amazing job keeping the game captivating with high adrenaline moments, well done character development, all packaged up with perfectly establishing the key players of Shiratorizawa.

The best part is, I still can't tell who's going to win. They have shown multiple factors positively and negatively impacting both sides to the point that it really could be anyone's game.

I imagine this will stay my AOTS. It doesn't help that I have a real soft spot for Haikyuu, which I'm sure none of you can tell.

pokoko said:

I don't know if you're reading the manga, too, but it's much superior.  The anime cut out the entire beginning and just tossed them into the school.  It took out the motivations of the main characters, resulting in a lot less depth.  It took out the initial interactions between the two main girls, where Judo-girl didn't want to be friends with the main character.  We missed watching her character open up.  The result is that the anime is much more shallow.

Yeah, I've heard this anime is absolutely butchering the characterizations from the canon...which really annoys me, especially since Sayaka is my favorite character in the anime. I might check it out later, but watching the anime in a vacuum, most of the characters don't really feel that interesting. Which is a shame, since characters are always my biggest draw into the universe.

The fights are amusing at least, and I chuckled sensibly at a few of them last week. Still, outside of that, nothing is really standing out so far. If they keep the T&A battles interesting, I doubt I'll go anywhere...but that would be a shame if that's all the anime aspires to be.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:
Haikyuu is having a stellar season. Only one match and 10 total episodes, but six episodes in, they have done an amazing job keeping the game captivating with high adrenaline moments, well done character development, all packaged up with perfectly establishing the key players of Shiratorizawa.

The best part is, I still can't tell who's going to win. They have shown multiple factors positively and negatively impacting both sides to the point that it really could be anyone's game.

I imagine this will stay my AOTS. It doesn't help that I have a real soft spot for Haikyuu, which I'm sure none of you can tell.

I was annoyed that they skipped basically all of match 4. I had to think for a moment to realize what they had done.

I just hope they continue this one as long as possible and do a Saki and just stop half way through the conclusion.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-14/saburouta-yuri-manga-citrus-has-anime-in-the-works/.108830

SO HAPPY!

ARamdomGamer said:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-14/saburouta-yuri-manga-citrus-has-anime-in-the-works/.108830

SO HAPPY!

There's never enough yuri.

Speaking of which, TODAY IS FLIP FLAPPERS DAY!

Assclas spinoff getting an anime

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-17/assassination-classroom-spinoff-manga-koro-teacher-quest-gets-anime-series/.108922

Also, there's this...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-11-17/evangelion-animator-final-evangelion-remake-film-is-in-progress/.108942

LOL

I'll believe it when I see it. Not holding my breathe just yet.

New season of Gundam Thunderbolt coming out next year in spring.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-17/gundam-thunderbolt-anime-gets-2nd-season-next-spring/.108958

I still need to finish Iron Blooded Orphans before moving on to another Gundam series.