By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

vivster said:

Who ever said it was a SAO killer? It's a completely different angle. It sure drags at some points but we rarely have western fantasy animes so I'll take what I get.

Take a good look at the MAL community ... A lot of the guys that are +1'ing Log Horizon are doing it to discredit SAO. I've never seen so much obsession in my life over a successful light novel series and I hope the author keeps continuing it just for the lulz ... 

Just because an anime is original doesn't mean that it'll end up been any good. For me it's good content > fresh content ...

Good to see you getting some enjoyment out of Log Horizon but for me, it's been less than fruitful ... 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
vivster said:

Who ever said it was a SAO killer? It's a completely different angle. It sure drags at some points but we rarely have western fantasy animes so I'll take what I get.

Take a good look at the MAL community ... A lot of the guys that are +1'ing Log Horizon are doing it to discredit SAO. I've never seen so much obsession in my life over a successful light novel series and I hope the author keeps continuing it just for the lulz ...

Just because an anime is original doesn't mean that it'll end up been any good. For me it's good content > fresh content ...

Good to see you getting some enjoyment out of Log Horizon but for me, it's been less than fruitful ...

Taking a good look at the MAL community is on my big list of things to avoid.

Enjoyment is a strong word. More like starting it and then having watched too much to drop it. It's one of those animes where I brifly end the fullscreen to see the progression bar in the player. It has its moment and is overall well done but not far up on my recommendations list.

I deeply cherish freshness. I will always prefer an aptly done anime with an interesting premise over a high quality cliche dump with a story that has been done a million times. If an anime is unique, I will watch it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

I deeply cherish freshness. I will always prefer an aptly done anime with an interesting premise over a high quality cliche dump with a story that has been done a million times. If an anime is unique, I will watch it.

Interesting premise =/= Original

Most of the animes that people endear have a few things common such as genre, characters, and themes. The only things that an anime does to differentiate is having different content altogether and most studios get that right. 

fatslob-:O said:
vivster said:

Interesting premise =/= Original

Most of the animes that people endear have a few things common such as genre, characters, and themes. The only things that an anime does to differentiate is having different content altogether and most studios get that right.

It wouldn't be fresh or interesting if it wasn't original.

And sometimes it's not what it is but how it is done. Like Sabagebu or PriPara. Downtrodden premise, cliched characters but excellent execution with a few subverted tropes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

It wouldn't be fresh or interesting if it wasn't original.

And sometimes it's not what it is but how it is done. Like Sabagebu or PriPara. Downtrodden premise, cliched characters but excellent execution with a few subverted tropes.

In this case the term "original" is poorly defined and not known to what extent either ...

@Bold Hence why good content > new idea ...

Around the Network
vivster said:
theprof00 said:
Show me how good your tastes are: lets see some recommends.

Depends on what you are looking for. I don't think it would be of much use giving you a list of 100 animes that you would have to sift through yourself.

just tell me what you think some good anime's are. I have a very eclectic taste...but the most important thing is that they're quality.

theprof00 said:

just tell me what you think some good anime's are. I have a very eclectic taste...but the most important thing is that they're quality.

Quality is not a good criteria when it comes to anime. There are so many high quality anime that will bore you to death and so many shitty animes that will make you scream of joy.

I will give you a small collection by genre for my personal taste. I know there are several people in this thread who will disagree and add stuff that I would never recommend. Well here it goes.

---------------------------------------------------------

Comedy

Azumanga Daioh
Ichigo Mashimaro
Non Non Biyori
Barakamon
Working!!

Romance/Comedy

Toradora
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Nagi no Asukara
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

Romance/Drama

Clannad(or Kanon, Air, Angel Beats, anything by Key)
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Ef - a tale of Memories
School Days
Isshuukan Friends

Sexy stuff

Agent Aika
Koihime Musou
Highschool DxD
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls
Sora no Otoshimono

Mystery/Horror/Gore

Elfen Lied
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Deadman Wonderland
Mirai Nikki
Hell Girl

Fantasy

Claymore
Moribito
Shingeki no Kyojin
Fullmetal Alchemist
Spice and Wolf

Scifi

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell
Ergo Proxy
Space Dandy
Cowboy Bebop

Gainax/Trigger(aka the definition of anime)

Kill La Kill
Gurren Lagann
Diebuster
FLCL
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

SHAFT(cool stuff weirdly executed)

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika
Bakemonogatari
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Pani Poni Dash
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Weird Shit(that's not already covered by Shaft and Gainx)

Kaiba
Ai Mai Mi(or Teekyuu)
Jinrui wa Suitashimashita
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan
Aku no Hana

Sports

Chihayafurru
Saki
Haikyuu
Yowamushi Pedal
Bamboo Blade

----------------------------------------------------------

This is just a really really really brief selection. I tried to be broad so all of these animes, even in the same sections, are very different. I could easily add another 10 into each section without degrading the quality much.

Fate/ Stay Night UBW ending was Amazing!!! Damn, that Caster!! ( much better than the one in fate zero =D )Only if April could come faster =(
Definitely my second best anime of the year.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

vivster said:
theprof00 said:

Quality is not a good criteria when it comes to anime. There are so many high quality anime that will bore you to death and so many shitty animes that will make you scream of joy.

I will give you a small collection by genre for my personal taste. I know there are several people in this thread who will disagree and add stuff that I would never recommend. Well here it goes.

---------------------------------------------------------

Comedy

Azumanga Daioh
Ichigo Mashimaro
Non Non Biyori
Barakamon
Working!!

Romance/Comedy
Haikyuu
Yowamushi Pedal
Bamboo Blade

----------------------------------------------------------

This is just a really really really brief selection. I tried to be broad so all of these animes, even in the same sections, are very different. I could easily add another 10 into each section without degrading the quality much.

redacted. You have very good taste. I'll probably try to watch all of these at some point.

Thank You!

theprof00 said:

redacted. You have very good taste. I'll probably try to watch all of these at some point.

Thank You!

How do you know if I have good taste if you haven't watched them all yet?^^