By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY Q1 FY 2014 results: 3.5m PS3+PS4, 0.75m PSP+PSV+PSVTV. $265m net profit.

DerNebel said:
But does anyone else think that Sony is being rather conservative with their PS3+PS4 shipment prediction for the year? 17 million seems like a low target considering how the PS4 is performing.

yeah i think so too. they are already at 3.5 million, 13.5 million to go, and this will probably be the lowest quarter of the FY. Destiny, TLoU, and Fifa in Sep will help make next quarter just as big or bigger, and the holidays will be big regarldess. then Q1 we will have some big hitters with Witcher, Batman, The Order and probably bloodborne, games which are all PS4/XB1/PC only so they surely will move consoles. 

Around the Network

Fantastic quarter game wise for Sony, I mean 3.5 million PS4/PS3 in a usually slow quarter, with no real big releases (outside Watch Dogs), struggling in Japan, can't really imagine what things will look like once they get that region in order.

Portable sales up sequential and year on year! Low number for sure but when your biggest competitor is only 70k shipments away, with the benefit of Europe and the US, something is going your way.

WhiteEaglePL said:
Knew it, another loss overall.

We (and Sony) all knew it back in April, please keep up.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

kowenicki said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
kowenicki said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Knew it, another loss overall.

??

The PS part of Sony is doing fantasticly well and improving - but not enough for Sony to expect a net profit at the end of the fiscal year....

But we already knew that.

They forecast a loss last quarter for the full year.

I do believe this forecast will worsen though.  Mobile is gong to fail (relative to expectation) and result in write downs.

The mobile shortfall was very predictable and you have to wonder why and how they thought a 28% rise was possible to 50.0m.

Hoping a rising tide (over all continued growth in smartphone sales) lifts all ships I guess. It would be doable if they could figure out how Samsung manages to sell phones at a similar price that are no better than Sony's, and replicate that, at least a little bit.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

kowenicki said:
bananaking21 said:
Conina said:
85 million software sales (PS3 + PS4 + PSP + Vita) according to Sony (retail + digital)
26.2 million software sales (PS3 + PS4 + PSP + Vita) according to VGC (only retail)

Digital vs. Retail 2:1 or retail sales undertracked?

undertracked big time. 

does anyone seriously use VGC software numbers?

good point. 

Around the Network

Nice surprise, long way to go though.

bananaking21 said:
kowenicki said:
bananaking21 said:
Conina said:
85 million software sales (PS3 + PS4 + PSP + Vita) according to Sony (retail shipped + digital sold)
26.2 million software sales (PS3 + PS4 + PSP + Vita) according to VGC (only retail sold)

Digital vs. Retail 2:1 or retail sales undertracked?

undertracked big time. 

does anyone seriously use VGC software numbers?

good point. 

fixxed

but still a to big discrepancy

but vgz had june npd software even way toooo low

edit: yes i am right. software sales is bln yen figure not units

kowenicki said:

3.5m for PS3 + PS4 (1.1m from last year?) - annual expectation remains at 17.0m

I'm guessing at least 2.7m for PS4.

0.75m for PSP + PSV + PSVTV 0.75m - annual expectation remains at 3.5m

But doesn't that mean that PS4 is undertracked big time? VGC has PS4 has at about 1.6 million sold from end of March till the end of June. That's more than 1 million units of difference, sure it's shipped vs sold but that difference looks way to big to me.

kowenicki said:
bananaking21 said:

good point. 

for software... just checked.  Its value of sales, so in yen, representing $826m dollars

OVERTRACKED!!!

If a $60 game is sold at retail, does Sony take the whole $60 as the value of sales of that game or do they only count the part that they as publishers/platform holders get?

AnthonyW86 said:
kowenicki said:

3.5m for PS3 + PS4 (1.1m from last year?) - annual expectation remains at 17.0m

I'm guessing at least 2.7m for PS4.

0.75m for PSP + PSV + PSVTV 0.75m - annual expectation remains at 3.5m

But doesn't that mean that PS4 is undertracked big time? VGC has PS4 has at about 1.6 million sold from end of March till the end of June. That's more than 1 million units of difference, sure it's shipped vs sold but that difference looks way to big to me.

~1 million on shelfs (and on transport ways) for 58 different countrys is not that much ;)