By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY Q1 FY 2014 results: 3.5m PS3+PS4, 0.75m PSP+PSV+PSVTV. $265m net profit.

BenVTrigger said:
So this went from being a Financials thread

to a dick measuring contest.

well that's nice I guess

From what I know, they're pretty close in the real world aswell, so

Around the Network

Why can't they release the sales figures for each system separately so we know how well Vita and PS4 are really doing? Although most of that profit is because of PS4.

Playstation really seems to be Sony's strongest asset

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Zod95 said:
It would be nice to have a table comparing the revenue, operating income and net profit of the different years to put this into perspective. I believe things are going better now (at least in videogames) and I hope Sony doesn't try to do just the minimum to get the sales (like Nintendo did last generation). I know they aren't in good financial shape but the videogaming segment is profitable and worth investing.

Here you go, doesn't tell us much though I think.

Knew it, another loss overall.

Please don't deraill the thread or attack kowen, he have been polite and informative here.

And by the ps numbers we can figure ps3 85M and Ps4 at 10M shipped. Considering another shipping month after these numbers we probably have ps4 sold at around 9,5M right now. Maybe 10M announced at gamescon will be a reality.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

All units have better results in general (unfortunately phones even neting more had losses instead of profit), finances ops a small dip. Solid numbers, and certainly a great help from strong yen. Let's hope most of the improvements sustains over periods.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

kowenicki said:
WhiteEaglePL said:

??

The PS part of Sony is doing fantasticly well and improving - but not enough for Sony to expect a net profit at the end of the fiscal year....

WhiteEaglePL said:
kowenicki said:
WhiteEaglePL said:

??

The PS part of Sony is doing fantasticly well and improving - but not enough for Sony to expect a net profit at the end of the fiscal year....

Well, that forecast was made at the end of the last fiscal year, I don't think anyone expected Sony to change the forecast for the FY to a profit after this quarter.

Conina said:
85 million software sales (PS3 + PS4 + PSP + Vita) according to Sony (retail + digital)
26.2 million software sales (PS3 + PS4 + PSP + Vita) according to VGC (only retail)

Digital vs. Retail 2:1 or retail sales undertracked?

undertracked big time. 

DerNebel said:
But does anyone else think that Sony is being rather conservative with their PS3+PS4 shipment prediction for the year? 17 million seems like a low target considering how the PS4 is performing.

Yes, me about 3 pages back. I'm guessing 5M projected for PS3, which means only 12M projected for PS4's first full financial year. Seems low. But perhpas SOny is aiming at more like 3.5-4M for PS3, in which case 13-13.5M might be the PS4 projections, which is looking a bit better. 2 more years of YoY growth from there should put PS4 in a very healthy position.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix