By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The three types of remaster/remake.

The Fury said:

( c ) proves that sometimes the original is better (sometimes simple tones/lines make for a better image).

TruckOSaurus said:

I know what you were going for here but honestly the second picture is so bland and lifeless. I much prefer the first one.

Heh. The funny thing is, the original picture is the second one, which was Dali's. The first one was an art project attempt using only crayons.

Around the Network
OttoniBastos said:

To be fair they improved the models and textures of this collection.They even made new voice acting!(which people hated i know)

The problem was the shaders(light,shadows,fog,etc..) It was shit in comparison with the PS2/PC.

I notice the same with FFXHD.Better models and textures but the light and colors were way different!

Yes, I knew about the textures and voice acting (which was a plus in my opinion, not because I disliked the original voices but because they had trouble using them again).

My main complain with this one is that it is an utter trash in terms of everything else. Heck, the Ps3 version was fixed due to TONS of patchs, but Konami gave up on the 360 version; which is why precisely they gave away two free Konami games to 360 users in order to apologize.

You know they fucked up hard when they give you games for free.

IMO, the Ratchet & Clank Trilogy for PS3 was like this:

LemonSlice said:

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I love the second example :)

My take on the categories is this:

Enhanced port -- a nearly identical game experience with glossier graphics and maybe improved frame rate. Nice for people who never had a chance to play the original, but, ultimately, superfluous. Examples: God of War Collection, Banjo-Kazooie

Remaster/Partial remake -- an expansion of the original title with redone graphics and sound, and some notable gameplay changes. Examples: The Wind Waker HD, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Full Remake -- a new interpretation of an old game with new audio-visual assets and altered gameplay. A complete reimagining of the original source material. Examples: GoldenEye 007, Bionic Commando Rearmed

Yeah, what I was thinking too.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
Wright said:
LemonSlice said:

Jesus.

Wright said:

Heh. The funny thing is, the original picture is the second one, which was Dali's. The first one was an art project attempt using only crayons.

A trick I tells ya, where's the surrealism? Huh?

Hmm...then how is it an example of a remaster when you reversed it?

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

A trick I tells ya, where's the surrealism? Huh?

Hmm...then how is it an example of a remaster when you reversed it?

Well, what I wanted was to show the improvements, doesn't matter whether the second image used was actually the original or not ;)

Conina said:
OttoniBastos said:
Remaster != Remake != Reboot

Remaster= Pick an old game and change the native resolution and framerate.Models/textures/shaders may be improved(not always though).

Good examples: Wind Waker HD,The last of us R,Master chief collection,Devil may cry trilogy,Metal gear Solid collection,Zone of the enders.

Remake: A totally new version made from sketch.It's not a old game's update,It's a totally new game that retold the old game's story.

Good Examples: Resident evil Remake,Abyss Odyssey Remake.

Reboot: Similar to Remake,it's a totally new game made from sketch.The difference is that the reboot will not retell the old game's story,but have a new plot that will start a new universe different from the original but same characters.It's almost like a spin-off.

Good Examples: Tomb raider(2013),Silent hill Shattered memories.,DmC devil may cry.

Yeah, another example.

Tomb Raider Legend (PS3) = Remaster of the PS2 version (probably with assets of the 360 or PC version)

Tomb Raider Anniversary = Remake of the first Tomb Raider game (same story, similar levels, from ground up new programmed)

Tomb Raider (2013) = Reboot with new story, setting...

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition = Remaster of the PS3/360/PC versions

Pretty much everything covered in these two quotes.

When I think remaster/remake/reboot, the Tomb Raider franchise is the first that comes to mind as the source material has been revisited in so many different ways.

There are two types of C.

Final Fantasy X/X-2HD and the others. I never saw another hd remake with new models and new full orchestral soundtrack. I may be mistaken though.