By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The three types of remaster/remake.

OttoniBastos said:
Remaster != Remake != Reboot

Remaster= Pick an old game and change the native resolution and framerate.Models/textures/shaders may be improved(not always though).

Good examples: Wind Waker HD,The last of us R,Master chief collection,Devil may cry trilogy,Metal gear Solid collection,Zone of the enders.

Remake: A totally new version made from sketch.It's not a old game's update,It's a totally new game that retold the old game's story.

Good Examples: Resident evil Remake,Abyss Odyssey Remake.

Reboot: Similar to Remake,it's a totally new game made from sketch.The difference is that the reboot will not retell the old game's story,but have a new plot that will start a new universe different from the original but same characters.It's almost like a spin-off.

Good Examples: Tomb raider(2013),Silent hill Shattered memories.,DmC devil may cry.

Thanks for saving me some typing time.

This is precisely correct.  These are the definitions used by all entertainment media (with variations for the respective context).

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
What would you consider Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes or Resident Evil for Gamecube? It's not like Wind Waker that tosses in a few new things and fixes a few issues. It's a rebuild from the ground up but still familiar territory for people that have played the original.

I'd say both are remakes. The Twin Snakes, however familiar, features new voice recording, a rewritten musical score, graphical improvements, new cutscenes, and new gameplay features originally introduced in MGS2.

Resident Evil features new graphics and sound, new rooms and areas, re-recorded voice acting, new gameplay, and new plot points.

OttoniBastos said:
Remaster != Remake != Reboot

Remaster= Pick an old game and change the native resolution and framerate.Models/textures/shaders may be improved(not always though).

Good examples: Wind Waker HD,The last of us R,Master chief collection,Devil may cry trilogy,Metal gear Solid collection,Zone of the enders.

Remake: A totally new version made from sketch.It's not a old game's update,It's a totally new game that retold the old game's story.

Good Examples: Resident evil Remake,Abyss Odyssey Remake.

Reboot: Similar to Remake,it's a totally new game made from sketch.The difference is that the reboot will not retell the old game's story,but have a new plot that will start a new universe different from the original but same characters.It's almost like a spin-off.

Good Examples: Tomb raider(2013),Silent hill Shattered memories.,DmC devil may cry.

Yeah, another example.

Tomb Raider Legend (PS3) = Remaster of the PS2 version (probably with assets of the 360 or PC version)

Tomb Raider Anniversary = Remake of the first Tomb Raider game (same story, similar levels, from ground up new programmed)

Tomb Raider (2013) = Reboot with new story, setting...

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition = Remaster of the PS3/360/PC versions

AZWification said:

A) reminds me of a certain video game....  

Really? I can't think of the last game this reminds us of.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

I categorize remasters as the following:

Remastered last gen games (Wii, PS3, 360)

Remastered fifth to sixth gen games (PS - PS2 Era)

Remastered third to fourth gen games (Nes - SNES era)

Remastered first to second gen games. (Atari era)

Generally, a remastered game from an older generation is less controversial and better received than those from more recent generations. But we already knew that

For remakes, I agree with OttoniBastos's definition. I'm not sure how to categorize those because I never played them before.

Around the Network

a) Up the resolution and there you go. Enjoy.
Ex: RE4 on PS3.

b) Up the resolution, improve textures, models, lighting, effects.
Ex: FFX HD.

c) Rebuild everything from the ground up.
Ex: Oddworld New n' Tasty.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Wright said:
Ka-pi96 said:
What's up with B, don't think I've ever seen a remake go that horribly wrong

To be fair they improved the models and textures of this collection.They even made new voice acting!(which people hated i know)

The problem was the shaders(light,shadows,fog,etc..) It was shit in comparison with the PS2/PC.

I notice the same with FFXHD.Better models and textures but the light and colors were way different!

Wright said:

We've got...

c)

->>

I know what you were going for here but honestly the second picture is so bland and lifeless. I much prefer the first one.

Signature goes here!

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I know what you were going for here but honestly the second picture is so bland and lifeless. I much prefer the first one.

Are you one of those guys that wanted the last of us on 30 fps  cause it was no cinematic in 60 fps ?

xD

I don't really care about framerate (as long as it's not something terrible like 10fps) but I am one of those guys who values art direction over realism though.

Signature goes here!

d21lewis said:
What would you consider Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes or Resident Evil for Gamecube? It's not like Wind Waker that tosses in a few new things and fixes a few issues. It's a rebuild from the ground up but still familiar territory for people that have played the original.

Tell em! Lol at option (b) too. I mean, how often does that happen?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs