By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Funny quotes of people talking about the Wii and the DS in 2006

A lot of people simply lack the ability to imagine that unknown variables might come into play. They look at how a product is trending now and make an assumption based solely on that. They fancy themselves analysts and even go as far as pulling actual numbers out of their butts based on nothing but the limited knowledge they have of the present time. Let's call it "pulling a Pachter."

The Wii U very well might fail. But people who are DEAD CERTAIN that it will are being very ignorant.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
Funnily enough we saw the opposite thing happen with the WiiU :p (at least here).

People almost universally disagreed with the guy that predicted the WiiU would sell less than 40m LT. Now we're sitting here celebrating it managing to scrape by a 60k/w baseline.

Still, predicting less than half way through the gen is almost never accurte, heck Wii U could make a PS3 like comeback, or PS4 will BOMB HARD. This probably won't happen but you never know what the future holds

ExplodingBlock said:

"The DS is doing good and all but its failing miserbly compare to the sales of the GBA in the US. GBA had like PS2 numbers, selling over 200K a month on average. DS is at a decent 150K rate a month."

was this guy like from some alternate universe where the DS and GBA numbers were the exact opposite of each other?

Zekkyou said:
Funnily enough we saw the opposite thing happen with the WiiU :p (at least here).

People almost universally disagreed with the guy that predicted the WiiU would sell less than 40m LT. Now we're sitting here celebrating it managing to scrape by a 60k/w baseline.

I think we can all agree that every time we predict something about Nintendo hardware, the opposite of the common answer happens :P

I wonder why George Santayana's famous quote is playing over my head right now...

Around the Network
Altruino said:
I wonder why George Santayana's famous quote is playing over my head right now...

What is it?

animegaming said:
ExplodingBlock said:

"The DS is doing good and all but its failing miserbly compare to the sales of the GBA in the US. GBA had like PS2 numbers, selling over 200K a month on average. DS is at a decent 150K rate a month."

was this guy like from some alternate universe where the DS and GBA numbers were the exact opposite of each other?

Haha no actually the GBA was strong in NA, it almost beat the Gameboy in sales. It was EU and Japan that let down the GBA

PosPlatformNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
3 Game Boy (GB) 43.18 40.05 32.47 2.99 118.69
8 Game Boy Advance (GBA) 40.39 21.31 16.96 2.85 81.51

For a long time GBA was above PS2 in NA. DS on the other hand didnt start selling amazingly until DSlite launched. So what he was saying was all quie true.

Eh.. People make dumb predictions all the time! Heck, you've seen some of them on this site!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wow, they were so wrong.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Well this kind of statements works on both sides. I remember that a lot of people told in 2009~ than the DS and even the WII would outsell the PS2. The console market is unpredictable ;)