By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has made 71 Brand new Franchises Since 2001

kitler53 said:
estebxx said:
this only makes me wonder how many Brand new Franchises/IPS have Sony created or published since the PS1 and counting Handhelds....

i went through the list of sony IP and filtered for those prior to 2001 to match the OP.  126 (excluding the last guardian).  i also filtered out a few of the PC only titles and those that lacked proper citation.  side note: didn't realise sony put game on the snes.

Thanks for the research, thats a lot of IPS to own... now if only Sony used some of those old ones... i want a new Legend of Dragoon game! (had to cut out the names because i heard there is a mod who hates long quote trees).

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
VanceIX said:
A lot of those franchises are dead. Making a franchise is easy, investing in it and keeping it afloat is hard.

and Nintendo is probably one of the best at that.

Really? And how many of these 71 franchises are still relevant today? Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade (not a Nintendo-created franchise), Splatoon (yet to be released), Nintendogs (kinda), and Tomodachi Life? Even counting Xenoblade (not a Nintendo-created franchise), only 6 out of 71 are considerably relevant today.

That's less than 10%. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Kuru Kuru Kuririn!

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

VanceIX said:

Really? And how many of these 71 franchises are still relevant today? Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade (not a Nintendo-created franchise), Splatoon (yet to be released), Nintendogs (kinda), and Tomodachi Life? Even counting Xenoblade (not a Nintendo-created franchise), only 6 out of 71 are considerably relevant today.

That's less than 10%. 

Well some of their franchises are 20-30 years old and still going strong. Some in that list are new games, so we dont know how much they will be supported. Its more than 6/71 from that list though.

KLXVER said:
VanceIX said:

That's less than 10%. 

Well some of their franchises are 20-30 years old and still going strong. Some in that list are new games, so we dont know how much they will be supported. Its more than 6/71 from that list though.

I'm referring to their recent franchises since 2001, which is what the article mentioned. Nintendo (and a lot of other devs) tend to throw new stuff at the wall and hope it sticks. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend that they lovingly nurture their franchises into poularity.

And the only other relevant new game that has a chance of a sequel that I see is Wonderful 101, which recieved lukewarm sales at best. There are only 5 new major franchises on the list on the 3DS/WiiU, and out of them only Tomodachi Life has seen considerable success (Splatoon is not out yet). 

I just listed the 6 I felt were relevant. You might be able to include the Wii-series as well, but that's still 7 out of 71, which is less than 10% yet.

Around the Network
VanceIX said:

I'm referring to their recent franchises since 2001, which is what the article mentioned. Nintendo (and a lot of other devs) tend to throw new stuff at the wall and hope it sticks. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend that they lovingly nurture their franchises into poularity.

And the only other relevant new game that has a chance of a sequel that I see is Wonderful 101, which recieved lukewarm sales at best. There are only 5 new major franchises on the list on the 3DS/WiiU, and out of them only Tomodachi Life has seen considerable success (Splatoon is not out yet). 

I just listed the 6 I felt were relevant. You might be able to include the Wii-series as well, but that's still 7 out of 71, which is less than 10% yet.

Why would they lovingly nurture a franchise if the first game didnt interest people...?

KLXVER said:
VanceIX said:

Why would they lovingly nurture a franchise if the first game didnt interest people...?

I didn't say they should. You said that Nintendo is one of the best at building franchises, and I pointed out that the vast majority (85+%) meet failure after the first game.

The issue Nintendo deals with is making new IPs that can measure up to their established ones (Mario, Zelda, etc.) the base demands every generation. In the past 15 years I would say Pokemon and Animal Crossing have been the two big new franchises that have been established. The Wii Sports and Wii Fit series look to be one generation sensations at this stage.

The second a Nintendo console or handheld is announced people have to have another Mario or Zelda, they are not asking for another Geist or Endless Ocean. If anything people seem to want older mid level IPs such as Star Fox, F-Zero and Mother/Earthbound to be resurrected this generation more than any of those listed.

VanceIX said:

I didn't say they should. You said that Nintendo is one of the best at building franchises, and I pointed out that the vast majority (85+%) meet failure after the first game.

No, I said they were one of the best at investing in them and keep them afloat. The ones people buy.

Title is a little misleading, a lot of those games weren't made by Nintendo.