By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox One: A Lying Failure Machine

Machiavellian said:
Aura7541 said:

Because saying "I'm sorry" only takes a second. Why they can't go out of their way to spend a single second to apologize makes me rub my temples.

I am still not getting it.  MS had a plan for a product.  People stated that the product as it is will not get them their money.  MS changed the product to meet customer demand.  Why would a corporation be sorry, thats a personal type of thing.  Actually there was nothing wrong with MS original vision, it was flawed and incomplete probably because Sony forced them to market to early.

It just seem crazy to me to think of a corporation as a person.  I do not need a corporation to say they are sorry for a flawed dream, instead I need them to make a product I want to purchase.  The word sorry is interesting when you work in a customer facing part of a business. I actually had classes on the way to say you are sorry but not to accept blame.  I am not going to go into that whole bit but sorry means nothing when it comes from a corporation.  Only actions are relevant.

Italics: Watch the video (or re-watch if you already saw it). The answer is actually very simple, but it's not my job to spoonify everything.

Saying sorry is an action and an action that only takes a measly second. Being more specific for what you're sorry for will only take a few seconds.

Around the Network
DD_Bwest said:
as always jim is dead on. doesnt say anything that isnt true

After hearing the whole thing, I personally feel his rant is garbage.  Its very one-sided, it goes on about a MS making changes for the good and calling them lies.  I guess its what people consider as hard hitting but its pandering to the lowest common dominator.  Its basically what he does is rant an opinion and just like any, some will agree and others will not.  I know it will be the last time I give him a click from me.  I see enough of those type of one sided rants on NG4 all the time.

Xenostar said:
Machiavellian said:
Aura7541 said:
Slade6alpha said:
Kinda get the damned they do and damned if they don't idea here. People didn't like the original Xbox One with the DRM, anti used games etc. They reverse it and people still complain.

Well, Jim isn't really complaining about the reversals or that MS didn't do enough. He's complaining about how MS didn't apologize to the consumers for the policies the company was trying to force upon them.

Why would MS need to apologize.  The X1 is a product not some type of institution.  Consumers were never forced to do anything because they have the right to not purchase the device.

So if someone sold you a 4 star holiday and when you got there it was a youth hostel, you would say oh well there not an instituion they didnt force me to buy it.

That is just it, you were not sold a 4 star holiday.  You were told exactly what was included in the product.  Its not like MS hid anything.  They told you exactly what the product was and its focused.  Everyone had plenty of information to make a decision and they did.  When people stated that the product was flawed well they had to make drastic changes.  Hell its one of the reason I believe so many missing features were absent from the X1.  Having to change direction like they did probably ment a re-write of the OS.  When thinking about it, I am sure that their OS team pretty much stated, we have this much time to release a product, you either make a decision now or we go with the original plan.  Its something that is done in software development all the time when drastic parameters have changed.

I just think MS tried something which was not appreciated. And Sony did a lot better with PS4 (VS PS3) ---> Better hardware VS MS console, more powerful and friendly to develop for, more balanced, very competitive price, and released at the same time as One, and better ADs VS PS3 = PS4 is easy winning in the Global.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

GribbleGrunger said:
iceland said:
Wow, so surprised you agree.

redundant rant, classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't"

Let me guess and say this on N4G

How the hell can I disagree with the truth, it would be silly.

I don't disagree with the "lies" the whole whining about an apology is pretty ... petty.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
One of the few gaming journalists willing to take a stand against corporate bullshit. Good job Jim.

Of course, he also regularly exaggerates, writes tabloid-style, sensationalist articles with click-bait titles, doesn't check his sources, launches hate-filled vendettas against developers he doesn't like, claims that he doesn't have to be responsible because he's only a blogger, and flames anyone who calls him out or disagrees with him.  I'd trust Fox News before I trust Jim Sterling.

This is the guy who ranted about the PSP2 copying Nintendo because it would have two visual touch-screens and never bothered to change the article when it was pointed out to him that his assumptions were totally wrong.

"Since Sony's MO at the moment seems simply to copy Nintendo with a complete lack of shame, then sit back and pray for the exact same profit, this makes total sense. Expect a PSP2 with two screens and touch control, then six months later you can wait for an innovative new model that boasts 3D gaming without glasses. 

Sony -- industry leaders!"

iceland said:
GribbleGrunger said:

How the hell can I disagree with the truth, it would be silly.

I don't disagree with the "lies" the whole whining about an apology is pretty ... petty.

That's why I say it's a bit harsh. It wouldn't have hurt them to humble themselves a little more though.

The PS5 Exists. 

Aura7541 said:
Machiavellian said:
Aura7541 said:

Because saying "I'm sorry" only takes a second. Why they can't go out of their way to spend a single second to apologize makes me rub my temples.

I am still not getting it.  MS had a plan for a product.  People stated that the product as it is will not get them their money.  MS changed the product to meet customer demand.  Why would a corporation be sorry, thats a personal type of thing.  Actually there was nothing wrong with MS original vision, it was flawed and incomplete probably because Sony forced them to market to early.

It just seem crazy to me to think of a corporation as a person.  I do not need a corporation to say they are sorry for a flawed dream, instead I need them to make a product I want to purchase.  The word sorry is interesting when you work in a customer facing part of a business. I actually had classes on the way to say you are sorry but not to accept blame.  I am not going to go into that whole bit but sorry means nothing when it comes from a corporation.  Only actions are relevant.

Italics: Watch the video (or re-watch if you already saw it). The answer is actually very simple, but it's not my job to spoonify everything.

Saying sorry is an action and an action that only takes a measly second. Being more specific for what you're sorry for will only take a few seconds.

I do not need to re-watch the video because I believe its wrong.  It could be that I am a father and I do not accept sorry because its a word easily said with no meaning behind it.  People who are wrong correct their mistakes and make sure not to make them again.  

Saying sorry for having a bad plan is silly. It would be different if you bought a X1 and then MS totally changed it to their DRM system and later changed it back after consumer outcry.  Sorry is an empty word to me but I do agree its my own personal opinion.  I do not see MS or Sony as a person, I seem them as huge corporations that sell me a product.  I have no feelings of admiration for either of them.  If either does something wrong, I want to see the measures used to make sure it doesn't happen again not some baseless Sorry message.  I know its good for people who form emotion attachments to corporations but having worked in this business for over 30 years, I know how meaningless such words are.

As I already stated, I do not think MS original vision was bad, but instead flawed and poorly developed.  There were some merit to their plan which probably would have worked out fine if they had just dropped physical retail disk but thats for another story.

Aura7541 said:
Machiavellian said:

Why would MS need to apologize.  The X1 is a product not some type of institution.  Consumers were never forced to do anything because they have the right to not purchase the device.

Not to mention, they showed that they can apologize for mistakes, in the past. Just as easy as they apologized when finally acknowledged RROD, they could have apologized for telling everyone "Kinect IS Xbox One", "You can't just flip a switch with DRM", etc. When they made those reversals, they could have said:

"If we have let any of you down in the experience you have had with your Xbox 360  Xbox One, we sincerely apologize. We are taking responsibility and are making these changes to ensure that every Xbox 360 Xbox One owner continues to have a great experience" [exact quote from MS, edited for XBone]. But nope, it's all been masked in "choice" to make it seem like you should be grateful they aren't boning you anymore.

Nobody is saying the XBone reversals are a bad thing, so it's not a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. People are just calling out Microsoft's attitude towards them.

*sigh* more clickbait.

Why is it that we get at least one or two stupid articles bashing the Xbone for no reason everyday? C'mon guys.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC